U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM

137 posts, read 50,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Kitty View Post
I have a few "raised beds" (AKA redneck beds, AKA old tires) full of permanent things like asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, specific herbs, and one for carrots.(Every tire has a different plant) It's a HUGE (15" deep) old muddin' tire and I filled it with a mix of sand, soil, peat, pebbles, vermiculite, and compost. Have no troubles growing carrots long and straight in it.

Maybe a raised bed, or a super deep tiller would help.
Tires could be leaching bad chemicals into your soil and could be uptaken by the plants.
Impossible to check for a multitude of harmful substances- may cost $300 per 1 harmful element in a very specialized labs.

Please, just do not grow food stuff in tires, especially if you have children...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 07:10 PM

50 posts, read 17,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Tires could be leaching bad chemicals into your soil and could be uptaken by the plants.
Impossible to check for a multitude of harmful substances- may cost $300 per 1 harmful element in a very specialized labs.

Please, just do not grow food stuff in tires, especially if you have children...
Oh, I'm aware, which is why we sealed them, then covered the insides with plastic before filling with soil.

Plus, these tires are OLD, and I always wash and clean very well before recycling anything, lol.

We're working on a 100% recycled materials greenhouse this year. Found a bunch of untreated pallets for lumber, old farmhouse windows and glass doors for the majority of the walls and roof, and struck a deal with a local gravel company driver to bring leftover river gravel in exchange for 6 dozen eggs and 2 fryers, lol.

My kids are all grown now, and having babies of their own, but it's never hurt any of us before, and even my grandparents ate veggies grown from tires, and considering how many other lethal things are in this world I don't use or associate with; I think we'll be ok.

But thanks for the warnings.

Old Today, 05:56 AM

2,309 posts, read 813,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Kitty View Post
. struck a deal with a local gravel company driver to bring leftover river gravel in exchange for 6 dozen eggs and 2 fryers, lol.

Shame on you for taking advantage of that poor driver. Good bartering-- if Trump had you on his team, they'd have started building that wall months ago.

I also agree with the way you prioritize dangers.. Can't rep you again yet. Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or