U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 AM

10,111 posts, read 7,365,079 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, that's the only image I have of it, which I screencapped from an interview video on YouTube. This shrub or small tree was always in the background during the course of the interview, which was set in northern Iraq (if that helps).

A plant identification app tells me it's Elephant's Foot (Beaucarnea recurvata), but it just doesn't ring any bells. It looks similar to a 'deviated' palm tree, but I doubt that it's a palm. It also seems a bit dracaena-ish. But again, something is off about it. What could it really be?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 03:24 AM

6,560 posts, read 6,140,626 times
I'm thinking maybe Dracaena marginata / Madagascar dragon tree.

pictures:

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&b...30.uGOT14ZMebk

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...tree&FORM=IGRE

Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I'm thinking maybe Dracaena marginata / Madagascar dragon tree.

pictures:

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&b...30.uGOT14ZMebk

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...tree&FORM=IGRE
Thanks for the answer.

I can see a resemblance, but something is off - The tree in the OP has long, thin and very flaccid leaves, whereas that plant's leaves are more robust and would arch, akin to a spider plant. Not to mention, that Dracaena tree is native to the islands or countries which border the Indian Ocean, such as Madagascar. Would folks all the way up in Mesopotamia use it or cultivate it as a houseplant? I kinda doubt it.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

EDIT: Okay, after a second view and seeing dozens of other images of Dracaena marginata, I think it could be it. Maybe some varieties of Dracaena marginata do have more flaccid leaves. It does look similar to this marginata specimen:

Now, I wonder what cultivar would that be? Because it surely doesn't look like this DM specimen:

Last edited by Ethereal; 02-14-2019 at 04:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 PM

35,917 posts, read 44,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Unfortunately, that's the only image I have of it, which I screencapped from an interview video on YouTube. This shrub or small tree was always in the background during the course of the interview, which was set in northern Iraq (if that helps).

A plant identification app tells me it's Elephant's Foot (Beaucarnea recurvata), but it just doesn't ring any bells. It looks similar to a 'deviated' palm tree, but I doubt that it's a palm. It also seems a bit dracaena-ish. But again, something is off about it. What could it really be?
It looks like a sick, neglected dracena. Like it needs nutrients.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It looks like a sick, neglected dracena. Like it needs nutrients.

That was my thought as well. Under-nourished and perhaps even under-watered and not provided with adequate light. I know they don't need a great deal of bright light or water but that one in the OP looks dried up and droopy with a lot of brown and yellow tips. The pale green and yellowing leaves may also be indicative of it not getting enough natural daylight.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post

...... Not to mention, that Dracaena tree is native to the islands or countries which border the Indian Ocean, such as Madagascar. Would folks all the way up in Mesopotamia use it or cultivate it as a houseplant? I kinda doubt it.

I don't doubt it for a minute. The world is becoming a smaller place. I live in Canada which is much further away from the Indian Ocean, and I have one of those dracaena marginata plants. I see lots of different kinds of dracaena plants being cultivated and sold in local nurseries as houseplants as well as the bigger dracaena trees placed inside local restaurant lobbies, business offices and in shopping malls. So I imagine they are popular enough it wouldn't be unusual for many other countries in the world to cultivate them too. Those plants have a good reputation for being air cleaners that remove chemical vapours and other toxins and pollutants out of the air (just like spider plants) so they are popular plants to have in busy places like hospital lobbies, office buildings, malls, etc. and rooms like the kitchens or recreational rooms or front entrances of houses where there is a lot of activity / foot traffic.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:15 PM

39,023 posts, read 46,187,421 times
OP. it looks to be an overwatered Dracena Marginata.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:27 AM

17,073 posts, read 7,615,203 times
Definitely not a Beaucarnea. There are no prominent leaf scars.

Absent more clues, I think (a bedraggled) Dracaena is a very good bet. There are quite a few varieties/species of Dracaena that are grown as houseplants.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 AM

21,679 posts, read 4,551,609 times
A struggling Dracena, red margined

Looks so poorly...needs attention!

Old Today, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't doubt it for a minute. The world is becoming a smaller place. I live in Canada which is much further away from the Indian Ocean, and I have one of those dracaena marginata plants. I see lots of different kinds of dracaena plants being cultivated and sold in local nurseries as houseplants as well as the bigger dracaena trees placed inside local restaurant lobbies, business offices and in shopping malls. So I imagine they are popular enough it wouldn't be unusual for many other countries in the world to cultivate them too. Those plants have a good reputation for being air cleaners that remove chemical vapours and other toxins and pollutants out of the air (just like spider plants) so they are popular plants to have in busy places like hospital lobbies, office buildings, malls, etc. and rooms like the kitchens or recreational rooms or front entrances of houses where there is a lot of activity / foot traffic.

Perhaps you're right. I come from there myself. And living in the Middle East decades ago, we commonly had Wandering Jews, Golden Pothos, Spider Plants and other commoners. This one just appeared 'alien' to my eyes and my family's. But yes, maybe today such plants are becoming common there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
A struggling Dracena, red margined

Looks so poorly...needs attention!
Interesting. So it isn't some sort of a cultivar with stringy, flaccid leaves?

To be honest, I like that 'look' much more than the spiky, Yucca-like one - Which I suppose is the healthy looking one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or