U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 07:10 PM

7,365 posts, read 13,062,051 times

Advertisements

Boiling hot water straight from the kettle. Whatever it hits will be gone without residual effects for anything else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,015,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I've had success using cleaning strength vinegar which is stronger than regular vinegar. It needs to be applied, full strength, on a warm, sunny day.
I've never heard of "cleaning strength." Where would one get it, how do you apply it, can it not be used in winter, and are there drawbacks (such as accidentally bleaching something)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, I've used it as a spot spray and it works well, you must combine vinegar, salt and dish soap for very best results. Here is the recipe and further information about it is at the posted link:
Natural Weed Killer
  • 1 gallon white vinegar
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
  • Combine ingredients and stir well until all the salt is dissolved, put in a spray bottle and treat weeds at the sunniest time of day for best results.
Instructions: https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/garden...al-weed-killer
I thought that salt was a bad thing to put into the ground?

I've tried pulling them up, but apart from the annoyance of their proliferating so fast, they mostly seem to break off at surface level, and I assume then just start re-growing immediately from the roots, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Hannibal salted the Romans' fields to try to starve them to death. Progressive salinization is the death sentence for irrigated fields.

I'd just use RoundUp- a whole lot safer and effective. The beauty of RoundUp is its quick action on the roots and quick degradation & elimination from the environment, Info- impoverished TreeHuggers notwithstanding.
Excuse me, but how is it possible that Round Up, which is carcinogenic, is safer than vinegar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Boiling hot water straight from the kettle. Whatever it hits will be gone without residual effects for anything else.
Now, THAT'S my idea of a great, cheap solution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have a crack where my driveway meets the road and all kinds of weeds grow through there. I use plain white vinegar, undiluted, and they all turn brown and die. You might have to pull the corpses out if yours are large enough to see among the rocks. I pass my weed whacker over the spot and I'm good.
Do you spray or what?

ALSO, forgot to ask you guys: If I spray, can I use an ordinary cheap spray bottle, or does vinegar degrade the plastic if you leave it in there?

Last edited by Voebe; 02-16-2019 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-16-2019, 08:02 PM

8,134 posts, read 2,596,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I've had success using cleaning strength vinegar which is stronger than regular vinegar. It needs to be applied, full strength, on a warm, sunny day.

You can buy Heinz distilled, white, cleaning vinegar at Walmart. It is a 6% solution, as opposed to 5% for the standard type. I haven't tried it on weeds-------I just pull them out by hand. But it has cured my athlete's foot and zaps out the hordes of little odorous house ants that invade my house in the winter. I use it in a plant sprayer, to put out a fine mist. I also spray my hands, countertops and all uncooked vegetables and fruits after washing, to kill any lingering bacteria.

Vinegar contains acetic acid (named after ants, as they contain it in their bodies). It is the action of the mild solution of acid that kills pathogens and weeds (if that does work as others described). I will give it a try this spring on the ivy that persistently sprouts in my backyard. I've pulled up a couple thousand of them every year. My neighbors love ivy and it's their mature plants that send underground runners over to my yard. I wonder if some vinegar spray just accidentally found its way to their side of the fence? It's going to kill their big maple trees, but they don't seem able to process that information.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 PM

6,626 posts, read 6,174,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post

I thought that salt was a bad thing to put into the ground?

ALSO, forgot to ask you guys: If I spray, can I use an ordinary cheap spray bottle, or does vinegar degrade the plastic if you leave it in there?

Salt IS bad to put in the ground if you use too much of it. If you don't feel comfortable about using any amount of salt then just use the vinegar and dish soap alone, or just pour some boiling water on the weeds.

Yes, you can use an ordinary cheap spray bottle for the vinegar.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:51 PM

2,943 posts, read 1,132,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You can buy Heinz distilled, white, cleaning vinegar at Walmart. It is a 6% solution, as opposed to 5% for the standard type. I haven't tried it on weeds-------I just pull them out by hand. But it has cured my athlete's foot and zaps out the hordes of little odorous house ants that invade my house in the winter. I use it in a plant sprayer, to put out a fine mist. I also spray my hands, countertops and all uncooked vegetables and fruits after washing, to kill any lingering bacteria.

Vinegar contains acetic acid (named after ants, as they contain it in their bodies). It is the action of the mild solution of acid that kills pathogens and weeds (if that does work as others described). I will give it a try this spring on the ivy that persistently sprouts in my backyard. I've pulled up a couple thousand of them every year. My neighbors love ivy and it's their mature plants that send underground runners over to my yard. I wonder if some vinegar spray just accidentally found its way to their side of the fence? It's going to kill their big maple trees, but they don't seem able to process that information.
Ants have formic acid.

Cleaning vinegar is pretty common. I think Lowes and those places have some and probably any place that sells natural products. I think it's a waste of money to pay extra since plain vinegar is plenty acidic enough to kill some weeds. Ivy might take more than one spraying.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:26 AM

12,656 posts, read 6,614,401 times
I’m rolling my eyes at RoundUp. Monsanto marketing says glyphosate breaks down in 14 days but real world data says up to 6 months. It’s now banned a lot of places in the world.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,658,163 times
Bleach mixed with a little dish soap does a pretty good job.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:54 AM

67,529 posts, read 49,447,324 times
Hot Boiling water works too so next time you boil something, save that boiling water and go dump it where the weeds are. (don't burn the good plants or roots!)

Vinegar, Salt, many other things work but for a large area its not worth it.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM

166 posts, read 56,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Weed torch with propane - you can buy for 35-40$ if you try to remove weeds from rocks and between the pavers.
Perennial weeds can come back- so you may want to do it a couple of times per season? Do it when there is no dew on weeds- faster.
Small portable steamer for small areas- you would need to add water often.

If you go the vinegar route- buy a professional strength- I think it is around 30% concentration of acetic acid vs 7% the one used for cleaning vs 5% distilled vinegar used for cooking-30% is the one that kills

Do not use salt please- the subsurface water may take the salt to where you don’t want it to go and kill/ injure the desirable trees, shrubs, perennials, lawn

Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 AM

29,051 posts, read 46,162,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Someone told me that vinegar would get rid of some little weeds cropping up. But how does that work? I assume cheap white vinegar is fine, but do I spray or what? Do I use it full-strength or dilute it? Does it just kill the leafy part above-ground, or does it kill the roots?

The weeds have been getting me in trouble with my homeowner's group, but I'm trying to avoid using serious pesticides (my neighbors are urging me to use Roundup). It happens to be in an area with mostly rocks, so it's not a matter of hurting other plants.

Thanks in advance for any explanations.
It doesn’t work because the acid in the vinegar is too weak to really kill the root system entirely
It might take out the top greenery (leaving a brown blight) but likely the plant will come back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or