U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:45 AM

6,286 posts, read 3,369,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Weed torch with propane - you can buy for 35-40$ if you try to remove weeds from rocks and between the pavers.
Perennial weeds can come back- so you may want to do it a couple of times per season? Do it when there is no dew on weeds- faster.
Small portable steamer for small areas- you would need to add water often.

If you go the vinegar route- buy a professional strength- I think it is around 30% concentration of acetic acid vs 7% the one used for cleaning vs 5% distilled vinegar used for cooking-30% is the one that kills

Do not use salt please- the subsurface water may take the salt to where you donít want it to go and kill/ injure the desirable trees, shrubs, perennials, lawn
Where would you find 30% vinegar? I've tried the vinegar routine before and all it accomplished was making the yard smell like pickles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,489,927 times
If you use Roundup, definitely do not apply it yourself. Hire a company to do it so that you are not directly exposed t it.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,015,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Where would you find 30% vinegar? I've tried the vinegar routine before and all it accomplished was making the yard smell like pickles.
Yes, I'd like to know that, too!

Also, I know I can use a cheap spray bottle, but my question was, can I just leave it in the bottle, or will the vinegar degrade the plastic? After all, vinegar is still sold in glass bottles, to the best of my knowledge.

I'm start to really like the idea of simple boiling water, though.

But the one thing that isn't perfectly clear to me is: Will the vinegar/boiling water kill off the whole weed, or just the leafy part aboveground? I was trying to pull some up, but even if I dig in a little to loosen the dirt, most of them break off with most of the root still in the ground.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 14,727,990 times
Vinegar is sold in plastic gallons.
Yes, if exposed to air and humidity, it will slowly deteriorate. So use only as needed and cap it tight in the main bottle.
Boiling water will not kill roots and you need pretty lots of it to actually damage anything so you gonna do what - run around property with electric cattle and long extension cord?
Steam does same. Got portable steamer?
So salt in the ground... hey, we are not talking heavy radioactive isotopes. By the time salt actually filters through soil layers and MAYBE gets to any meaningful underwater stream - it will be diluted beyond any harm. Besides, it's salt. Quickly disappears from rains.
I had my share of vinegar spraying.... It's pretty much very temporary and costly solution. I switched to saturated salt solution. I guess, all that fish that died in Burkina Faso is my fault.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 PM

6,627 posts, read 6,174,370 times
I haven't seen vinegar sold here in glass bottles for several decades, all brands are in plastic bottles. Vinegar is sold in plastic bottles in the states too. Just look for some vinegar sold in plastic bottles then screw on a spray pump attachment from a spray bottle onto the vinegar bottle.

Or decant the vinegar into a heavier white plastic spray bottle. The white plastic doesn't degrade easily and it isn't as brittle or as thin as the clear plastic. Try google for more information too, Google is your friend. There's tons of information online if you do an online search. Just use the keywords vinegar in plastic. And also try how does vinegar kill plants.

When I use a solution of vinegar, salt and soap on the leaves it kills the roots too. The salt and soap help to carry the acetic acid down into the roots I guess. If I just use vinegar alone it can pickle or bleach and kill the leaves and stems that it has surface contact with but I don't think it always gets down into the roots. When I've used vinegar alone, or just boiling water, the weeds have eventually come back in the same spots in the ground but I don't know if they come back from the same roots.

You should try experimenting with each method and see what works best for you.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 PM

166 posts, read 56,396 times
Quote:
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/75-Pure-Vineg...35716366&psc=1

AcetaForce-30%

Last edited by Nik4me; 02-18-2019 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 09:42 PM

166 posts, read 56,396 times
Quote:
Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/75-Pure-Vineg...35716366&psc=1

Or just google horticultural vinegar. Amazon has 20% , 75%,etc.
Save your money and spend it on more plants you prefer growing

I think one is better off trying more sustainable solution then trying to kill weeds- what do you want to grow in an empty spot, when you weeds die? Plant that, keep your soil covered( green manure, mulch, more of the plants you like, leafy fast growing vegetables,etc)
In short, you create competition, when desirable plants crowd out undesirable weeds.
What weeds are you trying to kill and where? If it is your lawn- you are better off buying grass seeds to thicken your lawn- your lawn might be too thin.
Mulch perennials to help with weeds prevention

Old 02-18-2019, 11:00 PM

18,086 posts, read 22,482,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Someone told me that vinegar would get rid of some little weeds cropping up. But how does that work? I assume cheap white vinegar is fine, but do I spray or what? Do I use it full-strength or dilute it? Does it just kill the leafy part above-ground, or does it kill the roots?

The weeds have been getting me in trouble with my homeowner's group, but I'm trying to avoid using serious pesticides (my neighbors are urging me to use Roundup). It happens to be in an area with mostly rocks, so it's not a matter of hurting other plants.

Thanks in advance for any explanations.
Yes, I use it every Spring, mostly in the cracks of my walk ways, or flower beds. I mix white vinegar - the cheap stuff, Epsom salt, and Dawn dish washing detergent in a spray bottle. I first pull as much as I can, mostly because I want to get a neat look right away. So, I pull and spray generously.

I treat it with this solution for two or three days. Then every ten days or so. It works.

I don't have the exact proportions of each item - I'd say more vinegar and equal parts of Epsom salts and Dawn.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 PM

6,367 posts, read 3,587,896 times
5% vinegar works great for killing moss. I'll have to give it a try on weeds too. I imagine that it would work best on the weed seedlings as opposed to more established weeds.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM

36,045 posts, read 44,197,908 times
Hubby tried it and the weeds just laughed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or