U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 3,572,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I think one is better off trying more sustainable solution then trying to kill weeds- what do you want to grow in an empty spot, when you weeds die? Plant that, keep your soil covered( green manure, mulch, more of the plants you like, leafy fast growing vegetables,etc)
In short, you create competition, when desirable plants crowd out undesirable weeds.
What weeds are you trying to kill and where? If it is your lawn- you are better off buying grass seeds to thicken your lawn- your lawn might be too thin.
Mulch perennials to help with weeds prevention
Sorry, missed this earlier. What I'm trying to kill are the dang weeds that grow in the mulch in our beds. Starts out each spring nice and tidy, yet by mid summer it would take hours each day trying to pull weeds faster than they can grow. About the only thing that keeps me from totally losing the battle with weeds is drowning them in Roundup and I'd prefer not doing that if I could avoid it. But so far it's the only thing I've found that's even close to keeping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:23 AM

36,697 posts, read 45,027,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sorry, missed this earlier. What I'm trying to kill are the dang weeds that grow in the mulch in our beds. Starts out each spring nice and tidy, yet by mid summer it would take hours each day trying to pull weeds faster than they can grow. About the only thing that keeps me from totally losing the battle with weeds is drowning them in Roundup and I'd prefer not doing that if I could avoid it. But so far it's the only thing I've found that's even close to keeping up.
You could use Preen in early spring. Itís not going to prevent everything, but I helps.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:19 PM

6,613 posts, read 3,572,719 times
Thank you. Will try that this spring.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:05 PM

25,544 posts, read 32,542,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Round up is all I bother with. Nothing else works anywhere even near as well.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:34 PM

26,182 posts, read 62,194,875 times
We tried vinegar mixed with dawn and . .. . I think maybe saltpeter. Could have been something else. I do not remember.

It killed some weeds, not all of them. Had to spray a lot on and re-spray a again the next day for three or four days.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM

12,483 posts, read 5,968,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Round up is all I bother with. Nothing else works anywhere even near as well.
I hate to use Round up but I had to use it in the cracks between cements, somehow one type of weed got so aggressive and survived in there. We couldn’t even pull it out. Maybe it was Korean grass.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 PM

1,029 posts, read 450,680 times
All I accomplish was I killed some plants nearby, and the weeds wave at me.....

Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,060,434 times
I tried pouring boiling water on a row of weeds today. I've been waiting for the rain to be over to give it a try. So far they look wilted, but I now see that Ukrkoz says that it wouldn't kill the roots anyway.

So, does vinegar actually kill everything, including the roots? I bought a spray bottle, but when I got it home I found that the inside tube stops an inch or two from the bottom, meaning that you have to waste a lot until it even gets to a workable level. I just now found a small bottle to try it with. How will I know if it works? Will it dry up and crumble, or what?

And, again, where can I buy the stronger vinegar - in a store. I don't buy from Amazon.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:11 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,060,434 times
Oh, and another update.

The weeds on which the boiling water was poured at least died at the top.

However, I tried spraying vinegar for the first time a day or two ago, with no visible results. How long does it take? How do I know if I sprayed enough? (It was a small bottle.) How is it supposed to get down to the roots to kill it? And still hoping someone knows where in town to buy stronger vinegar?

Old 02-27-2019, 06:29 PM

565 posts, read 244,746 times
Best advice is to go to a Tractor Supply and check out the products. Or get in good with a farmer and get some powerful weed/grass killer. It will be expensive, but it works well.

Have 3 acres and it comes in handy around the ditches and outbuildings. Just be mindful of the applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or