U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 12:32 PM

10,935 posts, read 9,898,612 times

Advertisements

galaxyhi, I've been looking at ideas for vertical gardening too and have watched numerous videos on youtube about it. There are some very clever people who have built vertical garden containers out of all sorts of items. I first found one from a company out of Colorado but a single unit is around $180 That's when I went looking on youtube for vertical planters. I think they'd be good for herbs and smaller plants like radishes, lettuce and things like that but not practical for tomatoes and larger plants. Check out some of these crafty people on youtube. Pretty inspiring.

For me, I'm getting ready to build a raised garden box on legs as it's easier now (at my age) to stand and garden rather than crawling around on the ground.

Good luck on figuring out a good planter. You can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,233,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You can also use old wooden pallets leaned, attached to walls to stick pots in or re-configured as planters

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ters&FORM=IGRE
I love that link!! Thanks for sharing

Old 03-06-2019, 02:49 AM

4 posts, read 309 times
Yes, this type of gardening is more convenient for me comparedto others. My friend has such a garden and it's been a delight for me to work on it. I am soon starting one myself after researching the subject a little: https://welcoming-house.com/ Generally, I recommend it.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM

4,132 posts, read 2,350,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have a small yard so I try to grow most things vertical.
Do you have pictures?

Id like to see what kinds of planters you have that are vertical....

TIA...

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

11,790 posts, read 5,620,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Do you have pictures?

Id like to see what kinds of planters you have that are vertical....

TIA...

They are regular containers that I got from Costco. But two layers, fruit tree inside, flowers on the top. I also train them to grow near my wall, like black raspberries. I’ll see if I can take or find some old pictures.

Edit to add pictures.
The first picture is one of my raspberry plants, they are to be trained to grow near a wall. I have to redo this trellis.
The second picture is the state of one pot as of now, the stick is a jujube tree, in full fruit production in the following picture. But it has one lavender and one campanula plant grow on top layer. The root of this tree is in the bottom.
Btw, the reason I put these plants on pots is because they are invasive, so it serves two purposes, not just one. And the flowers come from my compost pile. They look nice enough that I don’t remove them. But I plan to do similar thing with my strawberry plants, they are coming soon, but I will let them hang at the top layer because I want to pick nice clean strawberries. I hope my plan works out. These are all ideas at the moment, in the past I never had good luck with growing strawberry on the ground.
I have edible garden but they have to be attractive too, not just useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Vertical gardening??-c1a8f9e0-4dfe-47aa-9859-7746fbbab7a1.jpeg   Vertical gardening??-9299b8b9-3083-4a1a-b378-2781e28d1245.jpeg   Vertical gardening??-5b5558c2-ace5-44a2-a82d-9f401122ed82.jpeg  

Last edited by NewbieHere; Yesterday at 09:54 AM..

Old Today, 05:15 AM

4,132 posts, read 2,350,423 times
OP here,

I've seen a Pinterest pic of a ",vertical garden", using a set of stair stringers and the treads as a way to heighten the rectangle flower "troughs" planters as i call them.
Build a wooden rack behind the stringers to support the stingers and treads, put the treads down, and the plant troughs on each tread. The higher you go the easier it is to work on them.

Anybody seen these or tried it?

You can buy 3, 5,6 step stringers for deck stairing at the big box stores easy enough with a couple of 2x4s or 4x4s for support.

I'll have to post a pic later or link from my computer for those who dont know what im talking about.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or