U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 07:48 AM

4,132 posts, read 2,350,423 times

Advertisements

Hi

Since my back cant take bending over anymore, even to my raised beds (5"-10" raised), ive been thinkibg of vertical planter systems.

It appears to be cheaper than the raised bed boxes at are about 30" off the ground on legs. Those, at $150 +++per 16"x24" or a 2' x 3' space or less, will get expensive.

So a few vertical planter poles should help me out.

Might also keep critters out of my garden!!! ( fencing works so-so.)

Any experience with vertical planter gardening?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 08:04 AM

23,881 posts, read 4,914,024 times
The only thing I've done is use shoe holders that hang from the fence...to start seedlings and grow herbs...worked great, but needed a lot of water...

Check the internet, I remember seeing lots of photos.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 02-16-2019 at 08:50 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 09:58 AM

2,544 posts, read 885,674 times
You can also use old wooden pallets leaned, attached to walls to stick pots in or re-configured as planters

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ters&FORM=IGRE

Old 02-16-2019, 01:44 PM

11,790 posts, read 5,620,108 times
I have a small yard so I try to grow most things vertical.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:18 PM

1,349 posts, read 421,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
You can also use old wooden pallets leaned, attached to walls to stick pots in or re-configured as planters

This is very pretty. Seems like there are always a lot of pallets free on CL and in the back lots of many businesses to be repurposed. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:32 PM

6,733 posts, read 6,230,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Some of those pallet ideas are quite innovative.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 PM

17,714 posts, read 21,935,343 times
I'm not so sure I trust the watering system for these. But, I have had good luck with these automatic waterers with indoor plants:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't have good luck with them outside in really hot weather, though.

What I'd suggest is a system I had a while ago. You build a water tower, which can just be a large water container (even a 5 gallon one) that sits up above your plants, even in a corner somewhere. Then, you attach watering tubes from that water container to your plants. Then, all you have to do, is fill up the water container.

I've done this in raised beds. I put a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket on the ground in the raised bed, upside down. Then, I put a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket on top of that one, with the opening at the top. I drilled a hole in it, and added a plumbing fixture to it at the bottom of it, that had a faucet-type attachment. I could control the amount of water that flowed out from it.

So, for that bed, I could just fill up the Home Depot bucket with water every day, and it would slow water that bed.

I used small irrigation tubing and I poked holes in the tubing where I wanted water to come out. It worked fabulously.

If I was to do a vertical garden, I'd employ something like this. Build a shelf, put a 5 gallon bucket on it, Run tubing to your vertical wall. Then, all you have to do is fill up your 5 gallon bucket every day, and it will slowly water your vertical wall.

The other vertical water systems I've seen don't look like they'd realistically work very well. I don't think you can expect that enough water will run out of the first pots to water the last pots. I think you'd be better off to have tubes for every layer.

If you couldn't figure out an automatic watering system of some kind, I'd not do it. It would otherwise be a watering PITA in my opinion, at least somewhere with really hot summers.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:18 PM

776 posts, read 1,091,523 times
Actually, check out some Pinterest ideas on vertical gardens. I've been wanting to do a couple vertical strawberry towers around my garden. You can also get some pretty cool hanging vertical herb gardens, made from pallet wood, to hang outside.

There are a lot of ideas out there, and some are pretty cheap, you just have to find them and/or put in time to make them.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 PM

7,775 posts, read 3,242,819 times
Some of these ideas sound good but seem to be a lot of work.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:31 AM

36,228 posts, read 44,402,090 times
My concern would be keeping everything wet enough. If you think you can, then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or