U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 11:53 PM

17,616 posts, read 21,676,258 times

Advertisements

I have an indoor garden that is a large tote under grow lights. Right now I have some greens growing in it, and they're doing okay but not really thriving. But, I'd like to turn it into an indoor flower garden. I'd prefer flowers that have a scent.

I'm thinking that I might prefer to put some plants in separate pots under the grow lights, so I could move the individual plants into my living room, when they have flowers - so have the ability to have flowers in my living space.

The room with the planters and grow lights is not heated nor cooled. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and my zone is 8b. That room probably never gets cooler than 50 degrees F, and might get as hot as 105 degrees F - at the very worst.

Zone 8b, by the way, is a Mediterranean climate. Our summers are very dry, our winters are basically a rainy season - no snow. So, dry summers, and short, wet winters.

So, can you suggest any flowering plants, preferably with a nice scent, that will do okay in these conditions?

My favorite flower is freesias. I have a large pot of them on my balcony and they are thriving. But, I question whether or not they would do okay inside. I think they like the extreme temps on the balcony, as opposed to growing them indoors - though, I'm not sure.

I've never tried orchids. I'm wondering if they would work? Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. Thanks.

I've given up trying to grow any veggies in this indoor tote. The grow lights I have aren't strong enough for fruiting plants. I have another separate tote dedicated to different varieties of basil, and they are thriving. I tried cilantro, but I think it needs a warmer temp than the winters here.

Anyway, it's flowers or I'm going to ditch this tote altogether and use the space for something else. I have cut some of the freesias growing on my balcony that I have put in a vase inside, and that's lovely. But, I think it would be great to be able to just have flowering plants inside that I can move around, rather than have to cut my few outdoor flowers on my balcony.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM

4,325 posts, read 3,693,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have an indoor garden that is a large tote under grow lights. Right now I have some greens growing in it, and they're doing okay but not really thriving. But, I'd like to turn it into an indoor flower garden. I'd prefer flowers that have a scent.

I'm thinking that I might prefer to put some plants in separate pots under the grow lights, so I could move the individual plants into my living room, when they have flowers - so have the ability to have flowers in my living space.

The room with the planters and grow lights is not heated nor cooled. I'm in the SF Bay Area, and my zone is 8b. That room probably never gets cooler than 50 degrees F, and might get as hot as 105 degrees F - at the very worst.

Zone 8b, by the way, is a Mediterranean climate. Our summers are very dry, our winters are basically a rainy season - no snow. So, dry summers, and short, wet winters.

So, can you suggest any flowering plants, preferably with a nice scent, that will do okay in these conditions?

My favorite flower is freesias. I have a large pot of them on my balcony and they are thriving. But, I question whether or not they would do okay inside. I think they like the extreme temps on the balcony, as opposed to growing them indoors - though, I'm not sure.

I've never tried orchids. I'm wondering if they would work? Any thoughts or advice is welcomed. Thanks.

I've given up trying to grow any veggies in this indoor tote. The grow lights I have aren't strong enough for fruiting plants. I have another separate tote dedicated to different varieties of basil, and they are thriving. I tried cilantro, but I think it needs a warmer temp than the winters here.

Anyway, it's flowers or I'm going to ditch this tote altogether and use the space for something else. I have cut some of the freesias growing on my balcony that I have put in a vase inside, and that's lovely. But, I think it would be great to be able to just have flowering plants inside that I can move around, rather than have to cut my few outdoor flowers on my balcony.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.
Try a potted jasmine for wonderful scent.

Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM

11,196 posts, read 5,419,291 times
Dendrobium orchids have nice scent and they are supposed to be in doors when blooming. I’m not sure about after the blooming period.

Old Today, 04:50 PM

17,616 posts, read 21,676,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Try a potted jasmine for wonderful scent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Dendrobium orchids have nice scent and they are supposed to be in doors when blooming. Iím not sure about after the blooming period.
Thank you both! I love orchids, and have only tried to grow them a couple of times, but I wasn't committed. I was also not in this climate. I'll research them again.

Good ideas, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden