U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 06:12 PM

14,210 posts, read 10,414,004 times

Advertisements

I know there have been many threads on this, but I have specific questions pertaining to my (actually, my mother's) situation.

I have just about zero gardening experience. We're trying to find the right ground cover to prevent weeds. She has a small patio area, with a garden patch about 5 ft. x 10 ft. She just has a couple of tallish, vertical plants planted there, so it's mostly bare dirt. She used to have ground cover that kind of resembled clover, but with smaller leaves. It worked well for many years, but then tall, grass-like weeds took over. The weeds have been pulled, but I don't know what would be the best ground cover to put down. This is Southern California, it would get a lot of sun.

Also, I'm curious if there is roll-out ground cover, like they do with lawn turf.

I'd appreciate any help at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 06:16 PM

9,768 posts, read 4,230,954 times
lowes has a black tarp/blanket thing that you roll on top of ground, kills weed by blocking sunlight. put mulch/gravel over it to keep weeds from growing. mulch and gravel are loose, so easy to pull up weeds by root later if you see them

Old 02-17-2019, 07:17 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I know there have been many threads on this, but I have specific questions pertaining to my (actually, my mother's) situation.

I have just about zero gardening experience. We're trying to find the right ground cover to prevent weeds. She has a small patio area, with a garden patch about 5 ft. x 10 ft. She just has a couple of tallish, vertical plants planted there, so it's mostly bare dirt. She used to have ground cover that kind of resembled clover, but with smaller leaves. It worked well for many years, but then tall, grass-like weeds took over. The weeds have been pulled, but I don't know what would be the best ground cover to put down. This is Southern California, it would get a lot of sun.

Also, I'm curious if there is roll-out ground cover, like they do with lawn turf.

I'd appreciate any help at all.

There are roll-out ground cover kits you can get for grasses, mosses and for different kinds of flowers, they're called seed blankets or seed mats. The mats are biodegradable organic fabrics or paper impregnated with seeds. You cut to size and roll the mats out over the raked bare dirt, cover it evenly with a thin layer of sand or soil to weight it down, water lightly (follow the directions that comes with each kit), and the seeds germinate and grow through the fabric. The organic fabric breaks down into the soil over a short period of time. If you think something like that might be okay for such a small area you could do an online search for more information about the different kinds of seed mats available.

For example: https://www.google.ca/search?ei=kQJq...30.XPq5ZxtDVNY

If I wanted to put already started ground cover plants directly into the ground in a small area that gets lots of sun I'd go for red creeping thyme. It's a very low growing perennial creeper that suppresses weeds, it's soft and springy enough to walk on, smells nice, the leaves are very tiny and it gets little pale pink to violet to red flowers depending on the variety.

Pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=low+g...w=1344&bih=700

Old 02-19-2019, 08:58 AM

36,028 posts, read 44,185,783 times
I agree about thyme. It loves the sun, is pretty and smells good.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:54 AM

1,532 posts, read 837,801 times
I would suggest the various kinds of "ice plants" a succulent with beautiful red, yellow, purple, or white flowers depending on variety. they are popular in SoCal for drought tolerance low maintenance once established, and year around good looks. that said, they are not for walking on (but that could be said for a number of other types of ground covers).
Zoisite's recommendation for thymes is also good---most especially for relatively small spaces.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Thank you all for the responses! I'll relay these suggestions to my mom and see what she would prefer. Thanks again.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,637,108 times
Before you plant ANYTHING, make sure the weeds or unwanted grass is KILLED. Spray them dead with Round Up or similar product.

Maybe you previously had dichondra?

ipm.ucanr.edu/TOOLS/TURF/TURFSPECIES/dichondra.html

Old 02-21-2019, 11:02 PM

23,836 posts, read 22,784,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Before you plant ANYTHING, make sure the weeds or unwanted grass is KILLED. Spray them dead with Round Up or similar product.

Yes. Kill the weeds, prepare the soil, and use a product like Preen which will stop weed seeds from sprouting. Reapply that as necessary. Mulch. It takes a while for groundcover to become established and block weeds.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:11 AM

17,665 posts, read 21,754,779 times
Consider aptenia - it's in the ice plant family, and is known also as baby sun rose. It's a succulent that a lot of people use as a ground cover in the San Jose area. It will cover an area and stay nice and green and has little hot pink flowers. It's shallow-rooted and doesn't need a lot of water. From a distance, it will look like a nice green lawn. It doesn't grow very tall, and spreads nicely.

Bees love it, too. It's great for attracting bees to your garden.

https://www.google.com/search?q=apte...w=1440&bih=748

Another popular option here is jasmine. For me, the scent is too strong, but a lot of people love it for it's scent:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.wwDV4-KCrMQ

Another popular option is ivy. There are a lot of varieties:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...30.GXhcgFO_b0A

Ivy can kind of take over, if you're not careful, though.

Old Today, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

Yes, dichondra! I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Forgot what it was called.

I suppose I should have mentioned in my OP that, yes, we would like to be able to walk on the ground cover in order to trim the other plants/trees that are there.

I was at Home Depot and checked out what they had there. Haven't decided yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or