U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 06:20 AM

2,206 posts, read 1,830,914 times

Advertisements

Thanks Cambium, I saw your other thread too, quite impressive!!

We were told by the landscaper back then that spacing them about 10 feet apart would cause them to fatten up low for the first couple of years and then they’d take off. He was right for us. We’re going the same route with the new ones, but they’re not quite as matured as the ones from 2016, so might take them a little more time.

The picture is where we’re putting them. This is from the summer. We’re on a corner lot and want year-round privacy for the back yard area. We have some for about 90 days of the year, and then it thins out to nothing (other photo of bare mulch bed). So, we’re going to continue the line forward from the last batch and bring them down to where you can see the baby blue eyed spruces (replacing them). Then we’re pulling the first 3 crape myrtles closest to the street and filling in that entire area in a staggered pattern. We’re leaving the path between so we can get the mower back there. Going to look scrappy for a while, but should eventually be a nice walk of lush evergreens and a lot more privacy for us. We’re leaving the parkway tree but will be trimming it back to let more sunlight come through. Sun rises from the back corner and comes over and sets from the front driveway side (house faces NW), so plenty of sunshine, and we’re also at the bottom of the hill for two other houses, no curbs, so plenty of free irrigation too (we do have irrigation though when needed).

For the crape myrtle fans - don’t worry, we have plenty more around the house. We love them too!
Attached Thumbnails
Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-a1cb6d35-85c7-4735-9dd0-577eeae2f294.jpeg   Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-45c787c3-954d-4323-8d6a-48ab4511c4b2.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM

It will take a few years, but here’s the end result with 14 more thujas planted this week. Going for year-round privacy instead of 4-5 months. Painful now, but necessary for the payoff later...
Attached Thumbnails
Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-a4885c57-c71d-4585-9c49-032075cde89b.jpeg   Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-c88b4fba-bb17-4cd7-a1c9-57d3f950264b.jpeg  

Old 03-13-2019, 01:18 PM

68,907 posts, read 51,063,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
It will take a few years, but here’s the end result with 14 more thujas planted this week. Going for year-round privacy instead of 4-5 months. Painful now, but necessary for the payoff later...
I can see the pain (or is it feel?). I was going to ask why did you decide to space them out so far like that but I'm guessing you didn't need a fence like privacy there and that it would look more pleasing spaced out.

nice job though. Looks nice!

Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Thankfully there are only 5 houses on my street that is a culdesac, so not a lot needed privacy in that regard (and we like our neighbors).

They’re actually spaced the same as the others when they were planted too, 8 feet. Today, 3 years later, those are starting to come together now and touch. When you go this wide, they go fat at the bottom first and then start going upwards. If you go 5 feet or so, they tend to go taller and skinnier. But certainly takes some extra time to get the screening effect my way, but we wanted these to go wide low first.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:58 AM

603 posts, read 258,219 times
I thought they were "Thuja"?

Anyway, great pictures! We were planning on planting some windscreen trees, that would be attractive as well. I will be looking for these. Thank you for the pictures!!!

Old 03-14-2019, 08:43 AM

These trees are great for wind screening! These are thuja, just younger than the ones we put in 3 years ago. I bought them from a wholesaler who primarily sells in bulk to home builders, so not the most attractive at point of sale but get there pretty quickly. I get good deals from him though, and when dealing with 14 at once, nickels and dimes matter to my wallet.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 PM

14,275 posts, read 11,624,769 times
My Arborvitae ended up looking like the ones on this link: Peaceful co-existence with Bambi? | Speaking of Landscapes, LLC. I gave up on them many years ago. It did take some time before the deer finally tasted them and started eating them; but after that it was too late.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 AM

14,738 posts, read 31,167,632 times
Hopefully they won’t end up infested with bagworms.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM

I use this once a year now to save my landscaping from big infestation. It’s the cheaper way to get the Bayer 3&1 tree and shrub protection, which I used last year and totally saved two of my trees and let all of the others to take off like crazy. Neighbors got hit badly by bores, Beatles, spider mites and bag worms. We had zero problems while they lost a few trees and shrubs. Really good stuff!

https://www.domyown.com/fertilome-tr...ml?sub_id=1973

Old 05-16-2019, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 800 times
Hello everybody..I am new in this forum ..just read a lot about GG trees and planted 50 of them 2 months ago..I checked HD Lowes and other local nurseries and realized that all the GGs they have, are very dense and healthy looking ...i don't know what happens after planting them in the yard though...Anyways, I was lazy and found someone on CL and have him install the GGs in MARCH ... he brought trees some were in the pots and some were B&B...they really didn't look like the ones that i have seen anywhere else )
it has been almost 2 months now since they have been planted...trees look healthy and have new growth on them, however for some reason they are not as dense as I saw at the other nurseries or HD...I will post some pics here later....they are 3-4' tall and their bark looks very healthy but not too much foliage and not very dense..deer have not touch them either which is great! hopefully they will grow big and healthy and dense...i suspect that they have been grown poorly maybe?? however, what I learned form online searching is ; whatever the shape of the tree when it is small, it will have the same shape when it grows big? is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or