U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 03:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,060,939 times

Advertisements

We have newly planted green giants (February, 14 of them) that went in the ground from containers. They measured about 6 feet. I used Bayer on them too. They’re now taller than I am and filling in, minimal transplant shock, no bugs.

I use the stuff primarily to keep them healthy from bug attack and mites. The feed part is just an extra aspect.

I’m a fan of the stuff. I do agree that the others are likely established now and growing faster because of it, but I also believe they wouldn’t be able to grow like this without the Bayer too, as it allows the trees to be healthy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 04:19 PM

26,223 posts, read 18,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yep, that’s it! Once a year! It’ll keep the bugs out and feed too. Next year, you’ll really notice how well they’re doing when you do it again.

Add some holly tone every couple of months to boost.
Well I just watched the video, it said to measure the height in feet (mine is 6 ft.) and multiply by 3, add this many ounces to a gallon of water. So that will use up around half the bottle, I'll use the other half next year, thanks for this tip. I also spray mine for bagworms, after I had an attack a couple years ago, can't remember the name of the stuff but around the end of June is when I spray all my arbor vitaes. I noticed in the video it did not specify bagworms that the Bayer protects from (something similar, but not sure if it is the same as a bagworm)

Old 01-30-2022, 04:24 PM

7,123 posts, read 5,823,369 times
How are these coming along?

Curious where you ended up getting yours?

Looking to have a number of these planted in the back of my place which is wooded, but mostly cleared so should easily get the minimum number of hours of sun they require, 4 hours per day.

Quote:
Thought I would share these two photos to show you just how fast the Thula Green Giant Arborvitae evergreens can grow. And to also suggest that if you ever want to install them, do NOT transplant them but rather go with a container-grower instead. Transplanting them seems to dramatically slow their growth rate down as they struggle to get re-established from being pulled out of the ground the first time.

I think these two photos speak for themselves. The time line between the two photos is roughly 30 months, and this is my back yard. When we bought this house, there were hardly any trees left in the yard. The previous owner apparently got confused (probably the booze) and when he got buzzed by a bee at the end of 2011, he went for the round-up instead of the pesticide and sprayed everything down with it. Killed off nearly everything and did not replace any of it. Needless to say, I got a good deal on this house in late 2015.

Photos taken April 2016 and September 2018. We installed 5 trees here. Two were about 14 feet (transplants) and 3 were 6 to 7 foot container grown. Today, the 3 smaller trees are larger than the two transplanted trees. When measured in September, the smaller ones were approaching 18 feet from the ground..

When they get to a height we like that blocks out more of our neighbor's home, we'll trim them to contain their height. When you do that, as I am told, they will then start to grow wider instead, making for a nice solid green hedge 24/7/365.

We're about to install a whole bunch more for added privacy. We wanted to wait to see how we liked them before going all-in for more. We're definitely ready now!

Old 01-31-2022, 07:53 PM

18,561 posts, read 40,092,034 times
I know where someone built a huge mansion a few years ago, and planted these things along the road to make a screen. There's a staggered line of them probably over 500' long. I'm actually surprised at well they've grown because I figured our climate would be too hot for them. I suspect a good strong hurricane will decimate them though.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:05 AM

NC211 thanks for the private message. Looking to have about 10 of these delivered and already have Holly Tone on hand.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:59 PM

Just ordered 25 of these this evening.

Quote:
Thought I would share these two photos to show you just how fast the Thula Green Giant Arborvitae evergreens can grow. And to also suggest that if you ever want to install them, do NOT transplant them but rather go with a container-grower instead. Transplanting them seems to dramatically slow their growth rate down as they struggle to get re-established from being pulled out of the ground the first time.

I think these two photos speak for themselves. The time line between the two photos is roughly 30 months, and this is my back yard. When we bought this house, there were hardly any trees left in the yard. The previous owner apparently got confused (probably the booze) and when he got buzzed by a bee at the end of 2011, he went for the round-up instead of the pesticide and sprayed everything down with it. Killed off nearly everything and did not replace any of it. Needless to say, I got a good deal on this house in late 2015.

Photos taken April 2016 and September 2018. We installed 5 trees here. Two were about 14 feet (transplants) and 3 were 6 to 7 foot container grown. Today, the 3 smaller trees are larger than the two transplanted trees. When measured in September, the smaller ones were approaching 18 feet from the ground..

When they get to a height we like that blocks out more of our neighbor's home, we'll trim them to contain their height. When you do that, as I am told, they will then start to grow wider instead, making for a nice solid green hedge 24/7/365.

We're about to install a whole bunch more for added privacy. We wanted to wait to see how we liked them before going all-in for more. We're definitely ready now!

Old 02-08-2022, 03:05 PM

Fast deliver, 25 of the due to be delivered tomorrow.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:09 AM

61 posts, read 30,750 times
Leland Cyprus grow up to 50’ and eventually die. Short life span. Mine are 25 years old and shed huge amounts as it shed every summer. They require a great deal of water after they get bigger.

They have shades out my entire back yard now. All shade garden from all sun .

Just things to think about.
Another screen I have and easy care and winter hardy is the black bamboo it’s a clumped in the same area for 2omyears.
Running bamboo can travel everywhere. Only clumpers stay put. When planted right.

Last edited by Shades-of-idaho; 02-09-2022 at 03:19 AM..

Old 02-09-2022, 04:20 PM

Is Holly Tone generally the best fertilizer for Thula Green Giant Arborvitae?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:53 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,060,939 times
I think it is, but also like the basic 10-10-10.

The two attached photos. One is at planting in March 2019 (they were 5-7 footers in a 15 gallon bucket, not transplanted) - and the other is today, February 2022. All they’ve seen is holy tone a couple times a year, and some 10-10-10 flung around a couple times a year as well. That’s it. The Holly Tone f’n stinks something horrible! Like “where are the dead bodies” bad!

On the Leylands - we have those too, a developers dream screening tree 20 years ago. I agree completely, they start to thin out and die off after about 20-25 years. We have a row of them between us and a neighbor that are doing exactly that (22 years old). That’ll be a fun bill to replace them soon, gulp. They will be replaced with more Thuja’s instead. Far less resistant to bugs and disease than leylands.

Reston - do you know about TalStr P? If not, I highly recommend a jug for the inventory and a dial sprayer. Spray the trees at 1oz per gallon a couple times a year to keep spider mites off of them. That’s about the only thing you have to watch out for with Thuja, and it’s not a major ordeal with them either.

The attached photos, they are shaded in the spring and summer by the zelkovoa and crape myrtle next to them until late in the afternoon. They would likely be about a foot taller by now if not, but that’s ok with me. These will have their leaders clipped in the near future that will make them grow wider instead of taller. That’s the whole purpose for us here on these - manageable privacy. Not in the 2019 photo the car and patio furniture. In the 2022 photo, there is still a car parked there, and the patio furniture is still there too, but far better hidden.
Attached Thumbnails
Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-f6dbc05a-8038-421d-ab23-8d625ecd2597.jpeg   Thula Green Giant Arborvitae (growth rate pictures)-0d46ddf1-b019-403f-a66f-530a3e434223.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden