U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 08:04 AM

1,567 posts, read 544,341 times

Advertisements

What to grow some Heirloom’s in 5 gallon buckets ( and herbs ) in Virginia and wanting to start from seeds in the basement that gets lots of sun.

Do I have a better chance with those Peat Pellets ( Jiffy Planters) or just small planting trays?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 AM

22,513 posts, read 28,416,758 times
I think the peat pots work OK. You have to monitor moisture levels diligently. If you use them, remove the webbing when you re-pot into larger pots. Actually, for tomatoes, the peat pots work really well for seed starting.

I don't like to use peat. It gets and stays too wet and then when it dries, it is difficult to re-wet it. I use yogurt cups with holes poked into the bottom and a homemade planting mix without peat.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 544,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think the peat pots work OK. You have to monitor moisture levels diligently. If you use them, remove the webbing when you re-pot into larger pots. Actually, for tomatoes, the peat pots work really well for seed starting.

I don't like to use peat. It gets and stays too wet and then when it dries, it is difficult to re-wet it. I use yogurt cups with holes poked into the bottom and a homemade planting mix without peat.

Thanks for the tips, I’m thinking I might try both methods since I’m going to have plenty of seeds! Thanks

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM

12,979 posts, read 6,196,582 times
The seedlings dry quickly in the peat pellet. I used to sprouted boat loads using seed pellets. I can’t remember where I ordered online but it was almost 1000 for cheap. So I had to go in and use them. That since cured me with peat pellets. Now I just use seed starter mix.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:30 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,441,747 times
You can also make origami type boxes from several sheets of newspaper to use as planting material. When the seeds are ready to plant, the paper box goes right in the ground without disturbing the roots. Or, you can wrap several sheets of paper around a glass to form the shape, remove the glass and fill with soil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmwyyqGuNGo

For several years we have been getting tomato plants that over wintered in the ground. Now, I''m trying to figure out how get rid of the tomato patch!

Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 AM

12,979 posts, read 6,196,582 times
I had some from last year, but I removed hem and starting over. They are just pure ugly.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:42 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,035,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
... in the basement that gets lots of sun.

!

Unlikely that it gets enough sun..Your plants will probably get "leggy" as they stretch for more light...And even if it is bright enough, it won't be long enough this time of year. A fluorescent (or LED "imitation" fluorescent) light fixture hung 4- 6 inches above the pots will do well. No need to spend extra on "grow lights."

I use peat pots- 3 or 4inch, then the seedlings don't outgrow the pots too soon and spend more time making roots than vegetation above ground. I direct sow into partially composted horse manure- it has the fibrous texture of peat moss-- great for allowing air pockets that the roots need to properly absorb water & nutrients.

I water the seeds/early germinates by using a plastic milk bottle, the cap having been perforated with 3 pin holes made with a hot sewing needle. That way the delicate stream of water doesn't flood the surface and compact the soil. After the seedlings have established a good root system, just water in the tray from below. The peat pots may get soggy, but that's ok because they'll just deteriorate away after you stick the whole thing in the ground anyway.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM

144 posts, read 64,566 times
I tried using garden dirt one year to start my seedlings, a big fail. I now buy a big old bag of dirt and everything seems to come up just fine. I use 16 oz solo cups with a hole in the bottom. It seems to work well for me this year. I have a great start and spring is here. Yeah baby......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden