U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 AM

43,701 posts, read 35,124,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks for the pic! Very cool. Love the setup and the bird netting. Plants will love the compost and manure. Smart to add Lime. Have you done a soil test?

I'm re-doing my Cucumber trellis because the string is getting molded. So much rain past 12mths and below normal sunshine.
Thank you!

I wish I could say we did a soil test but we didn't. But we also didn't add much lime. LOL

Oh well, hope it works - I hope the soil drains well in that area.

It has been super rainy here too. My yard is so wet! Severe storms near here Saturday killed several people and injured about 40. More severe weather for this area is forecast for Wednesday too. Tis the season. I don't have a storm shelter but I do have a small windowless interior room! I've only gotten in it once since we've lived here (five years) but I was glad for it then. I have to get in there with my two stinky big dogs who get all excited and start panting and making it very humid in there, so I really have to be alarmed to get in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 AM

68,072 posts, read 50,175,321 times
nice map here. "The Average" last freeze here is between April 15-30. Doesnt mean it cant happen in May.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:47 PM

71,011 posts, read 82,285,362 times
Pretty much safe for us and I have had plants in for about 2 weeks. Our tomatoes are growing, our herbs look great. In fact I am going to use some basil tonight in our dinner. Our cukes are just barely coming up, but they are coming up. Today I filled another container with soil a few minutes ago and am going to purchase some more tomato plants tomorrow and well as fill another container for our bans then, after I get some peppers and plant the okra I will be though for the season

Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM

687 posts, read 322,670 times
We still have quite a bit of snow on the ground here in Western Wyoming. I don't expect I'll be able to plant until June. We're still getting snow and below freezing temperatures at night. This is my third spring here and I am finally getting it in my head that our Spring doesn't start until other people's summers.

Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM

I was looking at the temperature departure this month so far and realized that....

The Actual Avg Temp for NYC was 49.2 the 1st week and 57.4 for 2nd week.

For Richmond: 51.4 1st week and 65.8 the 2nd week. Nice warmup for 2nd week of April.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,200,146 times
A couple of weeks ago I transplanted some cabbage, kale, Swiss chard and green onions. I have direct-sown radishes, peas, corn salad, 4 varieties of lettuce and 2 varieties of bok choy - all of which need to be thinned at this point. The forecast looks good for the next 7-10 days with most nights above 35F which is fine for all of the plants listed. Tomatoes and peppers are slated to be planted on May 23.

We're running pretty close to average around here for April as far as temperatures (+1.4F). As is customary along the Front Range in April, the next few days are a complete roller coaster with highs anywhere from 50-75F and lows in the 30s and 40s. Nothing severe anticipated, but a few chances for showers/storms are in the forecast.

It has been a rather chilly winter. Average temps in February and March were around 5F below average. Long range is calling for relatively neutral temps with above average precipitation for much of the first half of summer. For us, that may mean a very stormy season.. with lots of hail-producing thunderstorms.. great. The second half is looking drier and warmer, which is good.. but a long way out..

Old Today, 04:56 AM

Looks like we may start the harden off process earlier than normal here. A nice change compared to past couple yrs.

Instead of Mid May transplant, I'm gonna guess early May will be fine. This is judging by what I am seeing next 2 weeks. No freeze or cold temps.

But I have to remember 40s is cold so I'll wait till May because we're still dipping in the 40s. But no frost or freezes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden