U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:25 PM

1,883 posts, read 1,363,303 times

Advertisements

The "Old Wives Tale" here in Metro Atlanta is "after Easter" (April 21st this year) and yes, we ALWAYS seem to get a cold snap right before Easter. Really, the cherry, plum, and other fruit trees are in full bloom here in Atlanta's south side suburbs now. My tulips are sprouting and azaleas and dogwoods are budding. Really I should have quite a show in a couple of weeks, perhaps by the first week of April. After early April, however, I am excited for May, when my roses come in bloom. Then the month of June! hydrangeas, day lilies, caladiums, lilies of the valley. Yes I love my flowers and our glorious North Georgia climate that gives me a thrill every few weeks until Thankgiving (thank you mums!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 AM

1,003 posts, read 583,615 times
just the opposite down here in southwest Florida..stop planting now because it will be too hot to grow anything for the next 6 or 7 months..start again next October..

Old 03-21-2019, 05:36 AM

6,028 posts, read 11,311,540 times
I'm going to wait for the snow and ground to melt. It'll be a while.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 AM

70,727 posts, read 81,865,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Today is the first day of spring.

It arrives at 5:58 EDT here on the east coast.

So how soon can you plant in your area?

Im 5b, but really its not safe from deep frost before Memorial day here.

Cold weather crops, cold framing etc can be done soon.

My forsythia is budding, the daffodils are coming up, the perennial plants are greening.

Only thing i havent seen hide nor hair of is the snow drops. Then the crocuses should come up.

Yay spring is here! I be plantin' soon! ( i hope).

Yay!

It may have been the first day of spring but it was 20 degrees colder than the last day of winter here andthe night temps were about 15 degrees lower. I am anxious just like everyone else but will have to hold off for awhile. I am thinking this weekend we will get out and start getting the garden ready. Hopefully I will be able to put some seeds in the ground in about 2 weeks. I might even buy a few little plants.

Like you: so, so, so ready. Our crocus are up and so are the daffodils. We have about 5 or 6 plants blooming

Old 03-21-2019, 05:49 AM

70,727 posts, read 81,865,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
As soon as I can, I have a bunch of tomatoes just waiting to get planted. My peppers are also almost ready. Here in Missouri we can plant pretty early but we do get a late freeze once in while. It messes up the fruit trees. I am hoping no late freezes this year.
Your planting season is about like ours. I am guessing our frost nights are just about gone. Most of my planting consists of containers so we can usually plant a week or so earlier. I still will hold off for a few more weeks, but some of our local farmers markets open in 2 weeks. Now that means spring has sprung.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:23 AM

43,357 posts, read 34,765,383 times
Here in NE Texas, it's planting time! We are very unlikely to get a hard freeze from this point on, though never say never.

I am hoping to be able to find and plant some basil and tarragon today or this weekend. A couple of weeks ago, though some other herbs were available, I still couldn't find those two. I'm also going to buy and plant some cilantro. Woohoo!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM

13,920 posts, read 7,632,338 times
The middle of May is usually okay to plant here. I have seen frost into the second week in May but it's pretty rare now. I usually plant around memorial day, but I'll be planting panzy's as soon as I see them in the garden centers. They're pretty hardy and I want them in by Easter.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM

12,649 posts, read 17,217,566 times
SO managed to move all per annual herbs from the beds into huge pots before I found out. I am about to put do not cross tape over the patio. Every year he plants twice:>( Next week end he can dig to his little heart's content.
The only planting we did over the winter was chicken but no chicks yet - one egg shell a day is waiting to get crushed and dug under.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 AM

24,236 posts, read 4,965,024 times
May first planting....container plants this year. My rosemary, thyme and chives are greening up from winter brown....

Old 03-21-2019, 10:18 AM

201 posts, read 23,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The "Old Wives Tale" here in Metro Atlanta is "after Easter" (April 21st this year) and yes, we ALWAYS seem to get a cold snap right before Easter. Really, the cherry, plum, and other fruit trees are in full bloom here in Atlanta's south side suburbs now. My tulips are sprouting and azaleas and dogwoods are budding. Really I should have quite a show in a couple of weeks, perhaps by the first week of April. After early April, however, I am excited for May, when my roses come in bloom. Then the month of June! hydrangeas, day lilies, caladiums, lilies of the valley. Yes I love my flowers and our glorious North Georgia climate that gives me a thrill every few weeks until Thankgiving (thank you mums!)
I think NYC is 7a and you guys are 8a; our saying is after Mother's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden