U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 AM

13,555 posts, read 18,305,639 times

Advertisements

yep april 25th is our general plant day and I hope it goes well . Im now on medication that I cant be in the sun with so we shall see how that goes but I always use sunscreen as well so I time myself outside .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 AM

36,329 posts, read 44,461,518 times
I have to get some trailing plants for my front planters today, so I can get them going. I have artemisia powis court (scored from the $3. clearance rack at Lowe’s) and geraniums, but I need something low. I love any excuse to go to the garden center.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:19 AM

43,371 posts, read 34,779,203 times
Garden centers are packed here! Though officially we MIGHT get our last freeze April 1, the forecast isn't showing any colder weather coming in in the next ten days, so people are planting like crazy!

I found my basil and rosemary...and a slew of other herbs and grasses, and of course I bought too many plants and came home and nearly killed myself planting them. But oh my gosh, those herb centers looked and smelled fantastic and now I have my herb garden pretty much in place. This year I planted or regenerated: rosemary, lemon grass, sage, oregano (two types), thyme (two types), several mints (in containers of course - and I gave some away too, with the warning that it's invasive so keep it in a container or at least a contained area), cilantro, basil, tarragon, and I'm pretty sure I'm leaving some out.

I also planted strawberries in a big container. I have trouble keeping birds away from them though. So this time I moved the container far away from any bird feeders - hope that helps somewhat though I doubt it will much. Oh well, I get a few each year before the birds and slugs get them. Has anyone had any luck with natural deterrents and slugs? The slugs bother me a lot more than the birds do. I like birds, dislike slugs. I think planting the strawberries in a container off the ground is a good start and I am going to try the beer in a tuna can thing too so we'll see.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 AM

6,065 posts, read 3,758,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I also planted strawberries in a big container. I have trouble keeping birds away from them though. So this time I moved the container far away from any bird feeders - hope that helps somewhat though I doubt it will much. Oh well, I get a few each year before the birds and slugs get them. Has anyone had any luck with natural deterrents and slugs? The slugs bother me a lot more than the birds do. I like birds, dislike slugs. I think planting the strawberries in a container off the ground is a good start and I am going to try the beer in a tuna can thing too so we'll see.
Get some copper tape at the nursery and put a strip completely around the container. As long as there are not already slugs in it, this will keep them out. We did this years ago with our raised beds and haven't seen a slug or snail since.

Here in California, we can plant any old time so there is no date to wait for or any big spring rush. I've found, though, that the last planting of lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots and peas needs to be about the middle of March, or it will likely get too warm for them before they are at their peak. So I have all those up and growing now.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM

43,371 posts, read 34,779,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Get some copper tape at the nursery and put a strip completely around the container. As long as there are not already slugs in it, this will keep them out. We did this years ago with our raised beds and haven't seen a slug or snail since.

Here in California, we can plant any old time so there is no date to wait for or any big spring rush. I've found, though, that the last planting of lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots and peas needs to be about the middle of March, or it will likely get too warm for them before they are at their peak. So I have all those up and growing now.
Thank you - great idea about the copper tape.

This is a container that had dirt in it from last year so I am not sure if it has slugs in it or not. What I think I will do is do the copper thing AND the beer thing. If there are no slugs in the beer, then I figure the copper tape will work. If there are slugs in the beer, at least I figure the number of slugs in the container is limited so maybe I will catch them all over a short period of time. Then I can just stick with the copper tape from there out.

We're going to build a raised bed too so I can also put the tape around that as well. And beer inside it till the can is empty of slugs! LOL

Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 AM

11,895 posts, read 5,652,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Garden centers are packed here! Though officially we MIGHT get our last freeze April 1, the forecast isn't showing any colder weather coming in in the next ten days, so people are planting like crazy!

I found my basil and rosemary...and a slew of other herbs and grasses, and of course I bought too many plants and came home and nearly killed myself planting them. But oh my gosh, those herb centers looked and smelled fantastic and now I have my herb garden pretty much in place. This year I planted or regenerated: rosemary, lemon grass, sage, oregano (two types), thyme (two types), several mints (in containers of course - and I gave some away too, with the warning that it's invasive so keep it in a container or at least a contained area), cilantro, basil, tarragon, and I'm pretty sure I'm leaving some out.

I’m going to the garden center today too. I’m afraid I will come back with more plants.
It’s wonderful that you have an extended herb garden, I don’t tarragon, I can’t get them anywhere. But I have chives, they sprouted so many baby plants that I had to remove them. I also have sorrel, which I rarely eat, but they are kind of a herb for me. My cilantro starting to bolt, I did cut them way down but they are emerging new shoots. It looks like I have to reseed them. My parsley is doing well.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM

36,329 posts, read 44,461,518 times
I wish I could find tarragon, too. I never can and it’s an herb I use a lot.
I just put together two planters for the front porch..geraniums, variegated ivy and trailing wave petunias. The artimesia I bought is too big, so I’ll use them somewhere else.

Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM

5,085 posts, read 2,567,563 times
God only knows when I can plant in my area. The last time I had a garden I lived in San Jose and we could have 100 degree weather in March. Now I'm in the PNW. Two weeks ago we had 2" of snow where I want to put in another garden. This Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday we broke heat records for March. We'll have summer in June and spring in July while it freezes every night.

Old Yesterday, 02:58 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,365,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep april 25th is our general plant day and I hope it goes well . Im now on medication that I cant be in the sun with so we shall see how that goes but I always use sunscreen as well so I time myself outside .
Also get yourself a big wide brimmed hat.

Having had skin cancer on my forehead removed and a skin graft done, and skin cancer elsewhere, i make sure to wear a wide brimmed hat.

It helps shield you from the sun.

Best of luck to you....

Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM

67,835 posts, read 49,790,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I wish I could find tarragon, too. I never can and it’s an herb I use a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t tarragon, I can’t get them anywhere. .
Interesting to hear. They are sold in every display case here. Wonder why not around down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

I never trust those sunscreens even though they work. Anything that gets absorbed into the skin I'm weery about but that's another topic. Feel better. Wait for a cloudy day to garden if you can or tie an umbrella to a belt or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I’m going to the garden center today too. I’m afraid I will come back with more plants. .

Garden centers are starting to finally put away the snow blowers and add more landscape stuff. It's been another cold snowy march here. Wished we didn't have another one. 6 of last 7 now. Gonna be another short spring season.

I'll be tilling the soil in the next few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden