U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 01:26 PM

12,107 posts, read 5,759,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
love it also; I am going to go looking next weekend as I think I can put it in the containers then or within a week or so. My favorite way to use it is in chicken salad. Of course there are many ways to use it.

Newbehere : hubby's eye doctor said sun glasses are also a good protection against cataracs. He always has worn them: 82 and no problems: I was never a sun glass fan and I have surgery when I was in my late 60s.
That’s the problem, I never wore them when I went to the beach daily, I had glasses, to wear sunglasses on top of glasses are kind of awkward. I have minor, he said from a scale of 0-10, I have less than 1.

My husband has light blue eyes and he never wore sunglasses either, he is 68 and doesn’t have cataract.

But both of my girls wear sunglasses because they are fashionable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 AM

70,877 posts, read 82,120,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Thatís the problem, I never wore them when I went to the beach daily, I had glasses, to wear sunglasses on top of glasses are kind of awkward. I have minor, he said from a scale of 0-10, I have less than 1.

My husband has light blue eyes and he never wore sunglasses either, he is 68 and doesnít have cataract.

But both of my girls wear sunglasses because they are fashionable.
My husband wears those funny looking sun glasses over his regular ones: the type that he flips up. They do get him a lot of attention though. I too wore glasses as a kid and just never got in the habit of wearing sun glasses even though I was born and raised in So. Ca and like all kids or almost all, thought a day at the beach was near a day in heaven.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:07 AM

70,877 posts, read 82,120,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I just had cataract surgery this past month. I'm still sort of in the recovery stage in fact. I am only 57.

I have dark brown eyes and the sun just didn't bother me much, so I rarely wore sunglasses and never wore a hat. Now, my cataracts were mild but they were getting worse, and I couldn't imagine waiting till I qualified for Medicare - that's 8 more years! Plus I had narrow angles so my eye pressure was an issue. So they fixed both issues in both eyes at the same time. I am very happy with the results but you can bet the farm that I'm wearing polarized sunglasses now! LOL

Since cataract surgery is a one time fix generally, I didn't see the point in letting things get worse. Though my cataracts were mild, the difference in clarity and colors is AMAZING. Absolutely amazing. Everything is so much brighter and clearer! I paid an upcharge for the multifocal lenses - that's rarely covered by insurance and never by Medicare or Medicaid - but my vision already sucked and I had been wearing trifocals for about 20 years.

I had the money and the time and since new eyeball lenses are a once in a lifetime fix, I thought why not go ahead since I don't want to sit around and wait for an eye pressure emergency anyway?

I know this is in the gardening section but I put it here to encourage everyone to WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHEN OUT IN THE SUN. Oh, and I also had age spots - which my doctor was graciously calling "wisdom spots" (what the heck, I know what they are - basically hereditary and sun damage) - anyway I had them on my hands and arms but had them zapped with a laser (not expensive either) and they are GONE baby. So now I have to remember to be sure to wear sunscreen and/or gloves on my hands as well, and always wear sunscreen on my arms.

It's easy to forget those things because I tend to act ADD and go out to check my mail and the next thing I know, I'm weeding my flower beds in the blazing sun...I just wander over to them and get sucked in I guess!
You are right to post this and let people realize gardening without either a hat or sun glasses isn't a good idea. I too had my cataracts done before they got really bad, just like I had my knee replacement before it got so bad I was awake at night with pain. When you know it is going need doing sooner or later why put it off? Yes, we are off topic, but it is still worth saying.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:25 AM

36,461 posts, read 44,637,954 times
I got the photogray lenses in my latest glasses and I like them. No more sunglasses for me.

My favorite use for tarragon is a sauce for fish. Mayo, fresh lemon juice and chopped tarragon.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 AM

4,204 posts, read 2,403,468 times
Wow, Kathryn, i did not realize we ars basically the same age, ill be 56 this year. I also have brown eyes.

Ive worn sunglasses religiously since a teen, but the eye dr has said i have the tad beginnings of cataracts in the past. I have an eye exam this friday, so time will tell.

The only thing i can say is if ive got a dark wide brimmed hat, i dont seem to need them as my face is totaloy shielded from the sun.

This time around i will get the light sensitive lenses in my glasses, instead of having 2 pair of prescription glasses with one being sunglasses, i hate fiddling with 2 pair for in/out situations.

Yes, eyewear amd wide beimed hats are a must to protect us from the hot sun.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:45 AM

Here is a picture of my fava beans.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring is officially here, how soon can you plant?-195a28ca-73c1-4c4a-9798-cf86ce620e81.jpeg  

Old 03-24-2019, 10:12 AM

43,595 posts, read 34,990,558 times
Whew, I am plant crazy. I bought plants yesterday evening and I swear to you, the first thing I thought when I woke up this morning was "I HAVE PLANTS TO PUT IN THE GROUND!" So this morning, I enjoyed puttering around in the yard sticking things in the ground. And get this - I STILL h have areas to fill up! I haven't even started on my back flower beds along the fence!

So this morning I planted some annual color - some petunias and that sort of thing. I also planted some purple cone flowers, some lavender, some gerber daisies and some butterfly bushes - supposedly those are perennials so we'll see how they fare - the gerber daisies from last year are for the most part coming back up.

Oh and I planted some purple verbena - I love that stuff!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:33 AM

I had some Gerber daisies last year, I don’t where it is now. No sign at all. I bought two nice blueberries yesterday, I will plant them today and will sow directly some tomato seeds. I have at least 10 in the grounds, they are about a foot tall.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:51 AM

16,825 posts, read 22,004,014 times
I just got a foot of snow Friday into Saturday. On top of the 3-4 feet already on the ground (and snowbanks by the cabin 6+ feet high). Needless to say, planting won't happen till May. I have bare root fruit trees coming next month sometime and I hope the snow melts before they come.

I do have celery started on the windowsills and will soon have some tomato, pepper, and watermelons started. Those won't be in the ground until likely the first week of June.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:08 PM

This morning I sown 2 rows of Caspian Pink and Chocolate Cherry. I also fertilized the rest with worm compost and a bit of blood meal for leave production and bone meal for fruit production. Hopefully everything will take off in a few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden