U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:03 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,700,204 times

Advertisements

A friend of my tried one of those things last year, his response to my question about the general efficacy of the product----"I think it was invented by PTBarnum!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 12:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
I've seen the ads for this- looks pretty cool. I was wondering if it worked myself. I don't see why it wouldn't. Wish I knew someone who's tried it.
I tried strawberries and various types of tomato hybrids, including the ones coming with the kit, plus beefsteak, plum, cherries. I also tried peppers (various) & hung the planters on poles in the middle of a corn & tomato patch on poles about 5 feet above ground in direct sunshine. I used watering bulbs so there was a constant supply of moisture. I also used high quality compost from my friend's dairy farm. Of course, the tomatoes, peppers & corn growing below them did phenomenally!!

Old 03-24-2011, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 2,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Supposedly, by hanging the plants upside down, gravity pulls more nutrients and water down to the tomatoes, making them bigger. (Personally, I think God designed them just fine!)

But, it did give me the idea to do this to save room on my balcony for growing more veggies!
Another quick idea is using one of those "5-fruit" trees if you have a little garden space. Planted one for my sister a few years ago & since started producing fruit, has not ceased to bear sweet, delicious fruit for all neighbours, family, friends & birds + tons still on ground!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 530 times
Topsy Turvy TIME!!!, 1. I have the darn thing since the first one came out without a stand and hanging it in the yard was quite a problem, but then I added an extension off my kitchen and it hangs on a hook. I managed to keep greenbeans, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and peppers alive thru January, but with the cold here in NY they started dieing off. Now the Topsey Turvy has a stand of its own so I have made a space in my garden to keep them outdoors for the summer/fall and will bring them into the living room for mid winter/mid spring. I have not had any trouble with plants getting too heavy or falling out. but using a pantry as a greenhouse is a bit tough since there was not heat and not enought light. But yes it does work and now its even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or