Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:26 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times

Advertisements

Hey, I just noticed that they had the Topsy Turvey in the Plow and Hearth catalog so I guess it's good enough for them to order it for their catalog.

Do let us know how yours turns out! One year I made homemade spaghetti sauce with the fresh tomatoes, onions and garlic from my yard- it was so good! This year, I'd like to try and put my cherry tomatoes through a food dehydrator then store them in olive oil to use later as sun-dried tomatoes. Never tried it before, but thought it would great. Sun-dried tomatoes are so darn expensive in the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Hey, I just noticed that they had the Topsy Turvey in the Plow and Hearth catalog so I guess it's good enough for them to order it for their catalog.

Do let us know how yours turns out! One year I made homemade spaghetti sauce with the fresh tomatoes, onions and garlic from my yard- it was so good! This year, I'd like to try and put my cherry tomatoes through a food dehydrator then store them in olive oil to use later as sun-dried tomatoes. Never tried it before, but thought it would great. Sun-dried tomatoes are so darn expensive in the store.
I like Plow and Hearth myself, so that's a good sign (hopefully).

As for sundried tomatoes, I agree. LOVE them. I like the true sun-dried better though. Actually dried by the sun for several days. It's difficult because you have to find a way to keep the flies away, but it's possible.

Oh, to live in the open country and have a HUGE garden! :::sigh:::

Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I did read a website on the subject. This goes against mother nature/gravity. It is abnormal since the developer say's he uses lead weights to keep the plants growing down. Plants always want to grow upwards toward the sun.
This seems to be one of those novelty fads, not one a grower would even think of trying.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I did read a website on the subject. This goes against mother nature/gravity. It is abnormal since the developer say's he uses lead weights to keep the plants growing down. Plants always want to grow upwards toward the sun.
This seems to be one of those novelty fads, not one a grower would even think of trying.
Really? Interesting! I didn't see, hear, or know anything about lead weights. Actually, if you go to their website and watch the 1 1/2 minute video commercial they have there, you'll see that the tomato plants turned upwards and grew.

The main reason this concept interests me is because I would have more room on my balcony to grow more vegetables. Hanging them like a potted plant would really add space.

As far as getting "bigger and better tomatoes," I didn't pay a single thought to that. God knew what He was doing when He designed the plant.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
They had them on QVC too.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:37 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
We have a new garden this year and ran out of room before we got to the tomatoes. I am going to try this one! I think I have 2 5-gallon buckets that we used for hauling manure left over. How easy is this? We'll see...

Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
I don't see how the TopsyTurvy offers more benefit than just hanging your own tomato plant,as Zonababe suggests, or just growing tomatoes in pots, which is what I do.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM

Supposedly, by hanging the plants upside down, gravity pulls more nutrients and water down to the tomatoes, making them bigger. (Personally, I think God designed them just fine!)

But, it did give me the idea to do this to save room on my balcony for growing more veggies!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,332 times
Actually I have 5. They work. I have Tomatoes growing out of 1. Strawberries out of another and Blueberries in the 3rd. Wife has the last 2 for Herbs. The difference in a 5 Gallon Bucket (other then the asthetic look), is that it has Side outlets for multiple plants. I have 8 Strawberry plants in my 1. and 4 Tomatoes in that one. 2 BlueBerry in it. and the Wife used the Strawberry one forher herbs. and has Multiple herbs in each one. you can hang it from a SOLID cieling area (Or the Corner of the House like me). Try it you'll Love it!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,332 times
Oh another thing. I have grown crops on 3 acres before.. Loved it at my Grandmothers house.. But she would teach me things that later in life I've used. I've got Onions I planted 4 yrs ago that are still growing (made it through the Winters!). I have Lemon, Lime, Mandarin Orange, Grapefruit, Peach and Pear Trees that are all in BIG Containers (Given to my Wife). We planted the Peach this year, but the others have HUGE Potters. They have Produced greatly over the last 3 years too. But I would not put those in the TopsyTurvy...they are Tree/Bush and are not designed for this. Tomatoes you typically re-plant every year, along with all crops that you would grow at a home. Hope this helps. GOOD LUCK too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden