U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 4,332,173 times
Reputation: 1187

Advertisements

I don't own a television (or stereo, microwave, dishwasher, etc.!) and I'm moving to a new apartment at the end of this month. The apartment has a balcony that gets the morning sun. I'd like to at least grow tomatoes, if not more.

A friend told me today about a tv product called Topsy Turvy where you hang the planter up and stick the tomato plant in it upside down. He said the tomatoes grow bigger and don't fall of the vine and the plants don't break.

Has anyone seen/heard of this? I'm skeptical of everything sold on tv but I thought I could save some room if I "hang" my tomatoes.

What do you think? Silly or Ingenious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
Reputation: 106714
Are you sure the friend didn't tell you that on April 1st!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
 
Location: The #1 sunshine state, Arizona.
12,172 posts, read 15,009,413 times
Reputation: 64014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I don't own a television (or stereo, microwave, dishwasher, etc.!) and I'm moving to a new apartment at the end of this month. The apartment has a balcony that gets the morning sun. I'd like to at least grow tomatoes, if not more.

A friend told me today about a tv product called Topsy Turvy where you hang the planter up and stick the tomato plant in it upside down. He said the tomatoes grow bigger and don't fall of the vine and the plants don't break.

Has anyone seen/heard of this? I'm skeptical of everything sold on tv but I thought I could save some room if I "hang" my tomatoes.

What do you think? Silly or Ingenious?
You can drill a 2 inch hole into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and hang it right side up and have the same effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 4,332,173 times
Reputation: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Are you sure the friend didn't tell you that on April 1st!
LOL I thought it might have been a joke, but there's a website for it. Just google it. I haven't seen it yet, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 4,332,173 times
Reputation: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
You can drill a 2 inch hole into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and hang it right side up and have the same effect.
Exactly. This is why I want to see what this contraption looks like. I'm sure I could create something just as good for much less.

But, does/would it work? (The concept of hanging the plant upside down, I mean.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 4,332,173 times
Reputation: 1187
Ok, I just looked at the website and had a great laugh! I'd still like to know if the concept is a good one, but what they're selling is a joke! zonababe is right about the 5 gallon bucket! Just attach some chain and hang it up.

I like the idea of adding more space to grow more veggies in though, by hanging them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...
38,684 posts, read 45,045,110 times
Reputation: 106714
What's gonna keep the plant from succumbing to gravity? How you gonna water it upside down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 4,332,173 times
Reputation: 1187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What's gonna keep the plant from succumbing to gravity? How you gonna water it upside down?
Go to TopsyTurvey dot com. There's a 1 1/2 minute infomercial showing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Boise-Metro, ID
1,378 posts, read 5,494,517 times
Reputation: 658
I've seen the ads for this- looks pretty cool. I was wondering if it worked myself. I don't see why it wouldn't. Wish I knew someone who's tried it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 4,332,173 times
Reputation: 1187
I'll let you know, Torrie. I plan to make my own and try it. Would love to can tons of tomatoes and cucumbers this year! Pickles, salsa, tomato juice, chopped tomatoes... I can never have enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top