Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
We have a long driveway and sometimes it seems like people are afraid of it. Can't easily turn around, feels like a big commitment. So when we are giving away things like cuttings, pine cones, old vacuum, old shelves, whatever we always put them on a table up by the road. But not right at the road. So the person has to drive in a little . They give a name...can make up any name...and I write it on the thing and keep a look out every now and then.

But in our last house, we had some theft of flowers and wreaths, generally more things outside the fence than inside. So we let people who worked for us know this and it turned out they straightened out those who may be stealing from the workplace they were proud of and it stopped.

A friend we used to inn sit for had a great idea. I keep it in the back of my mind and mull it over every now and then but haven't felt the need for it yet. The husband got a very simple thing out of a catalog. Some sort of electric eye in the driveway that sounded in the kitchen when a person or vehicle crossed past it. And a light came on as well if you wanted. My current neighbor used to have the lighted version but it annoyed them so they stopped that. But I still like the idea of the ability to find where a trespasser may be walking and place the "eye" appropriately so that they are lit up at night or beeped by day.
Blink xt - notification and video. No contract or service to sign up for. Like $100. I got it for $70 when it was on sale. LOVE it.

Great for porch pirates at xmas bc it's a real time 5 sec video that pings as soon as someone gets into view.
Waterproof. 2 year battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 08:51 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Blink xt - notification and video. No contract or service to sign up for. Like $100. I got it for $70 when it was on sale. LOVE it.

Great for porch pirates at xmas bc it's a real time 5 sec video that pings as soon as someone gets into view.
Waterproof. 2 year battery.
EXcellent!

Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
EXcellent!
If you prefer more than one camera, I do recommend purchasing them up front instead of adding on later. It costs less to buy a 2 or 3 camera package than it does to add cameras on.

I wish I'd bought a 2 camera set up bc I like it so much I want to stick 'em up everywhere. It's so much better than what my security company can do.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I like the alarm/light idea, but it would go off at all hours due to foxes, possums, stray cats, and heaven only knows what else here. Is there a way to set it to only go off at human height?

Old 03-23-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I like the alarm/light idea, but it would go off at all hours due to foxes, possums, stray cats, and heaven only knows what else here. Is there a way to set it to only go off at human height?
With the blink, you can set the height/window of what it will catch. Like any of these things, just point it upwards more.

Mine just caught a bobcat peeing on my front door. Like 10 minutes ago.

D'oh!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
Quote:
If you prefer more than one camera, I do recommend purchasing them up front instead of adding on later. It costs less to buy a 2 or 3 camera package than it does to add cameras on.

I wish I'd bought a 2 camera set up bc I like it so much I want to stick 'em up everywhere. It's so much better than what my security company can do.
Thank you very much.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
I once had a next door neighbor, a bit of a lunatic, who would come in to my vegetable garden and help herself to whatever was ripe. The thing that annoyed me about it was that she took ALL of whatever was ripe. Every tomato that was ripe was taken. That summer I never got one piece of produce from my garden.

One day, I saw her out picking my ripe tomatoes. I strolled out and she looked up and said "oh, I know you wont mind that I help myself, you have a green thumb and I dont. You grow the best tomatoes!" Wow, she really didnt think I would mind. In the long run, I found it kind of funny.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:15 AM

438 posts, read 269,502 times
Wow, that's disgusting. I think pretending naivete ("Ohhh, do you want it baaack???") is almost worse than the stealing. Gag.

I have a friend who raises Christmas trees. For those who don't know, that takes not only money for the little saplings and fertilizer, but up to seven years of labor to trim each one to shape. The trees he doesn't plan to sell that year are sprayed with a mixture that doesn't have much scent outside, but if someone steals a tree and takes it indoors, really stinks. He says the smell gets into carpets and curtains, even. Haha! I love the idea of a "gift" that keeps on giving . . .

Old 03-23-2019, 11:20 AM

438 posts, read 269,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I once had a next door neighbor, a bit of a lunatic, who would come in to my vegetable garden and help herself to whatever was ripe. The thing that annoyed me about it was that she took ALL of whatever was ripe. Every tomato that was ripe was taken. That summer I never got one piece of produce from my garden.

One day, I saw her out picking my ripe tomatoes. I strolled out and she looked up and said "oh, I know you wont mind that I help myself, you have a green thumb and I dont. You grow the best tomatoes!" Wow, she really didnt think I would mind. In the long run, I found it kind of funny.

But . . . but . . . tell us what your response was! I hope you at least smashed a couple of ripe tomatoes over her head!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Yeah...this lady was thoughtless, not premeditated like the examples of the potted plants and KA's gate being open. I think it's 2 different things.

That being said, I can honestly say I have never heard of people stealing potted plants. Wow.
It's not just potted plants - it's ANY plants that someone brings home and might not plant for a day or two. You know, maybe they bought them on a weekday but are going to plant them over the weekend and they just set them down IN THE NURSERY CONTAINERS by the flower bed or whatever. It's always just flowers. I quit doing that after several neighbors have a few flats of flowers stolen from their front yards!!!! WHAT THE HECK! Same with a few flowering bushes and plants in bigger nursery containers.

Like I said, I think I know who it is but my application is to simply immediately plant things. So now I just buy fewer plants at a time, come home, and put them in the ground immediately.

Some people are just so weird.

If I saw someone coming in my yard and TAKING MY PRODUCE I would have to call them out on it and tell them that they are flat out stealing and GET OUT OF MY YARD.

HEY, STAY OFF MY GRASS! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden