U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:21 PM

1,721 posts, read 575,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Look on the bright side. I don't worry about garden plant thieves. Someone is going up and down the roads where my land is stealing trees for firewood. Literally coming up, cutting down a large tree, and hauling it off. The property next ti mine has been hit hard. 8" diameter sugar maples just cut, got hung up and they were left to rot since they're afraid of being caught.
That's terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 12:23 PM

1,290 posts, read 392,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Brazen....and so annoying.

I had a neighbor many years ago who stole my outdoor potted plants. I suspected her and went to her door, saw my hanging basket in my pot, hanging in her window. Called police and when we went to her house again, the plant had been taken down....she was confronted and immediately gave it back, along with a few others.

Like you, would have gladly given her some of them.

Later that week, she brought over more I didn't realize were gone.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:55 PM

7,219 posts, read 6,572,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Go to their yard with a small spray bottle of round-up. Carefully spray T-H-I-E-F in their front grass.

It's known around here as the old "social media" technique.
I like this idea. But I'd put PLANT THIEF. So other people would know what it is that the thief is stealing.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:59 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,377,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I like this idea. But I'd put PLANT THIEF. So other people would know what it is that the thief is stealing.

I certainly agree with you, but from my experience that would mean I would have to carry two small spray bottles.

Or, maybe do PLANT in fertilizer and THIEF in roundup to add a bit of interest to the lawn.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM

376 posts, read 188,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I certainly agree with you, but from my experience that would mean I would have to carry two small spray bottles.

Or, maybe do PLANT in fertilizer and THIEF in roundup to add a bit of interest to the lawn.

Hey, I like that! Do your part to beautify your neighborhood!

Oh wait . . . "from my experience"? Do you do this often??? LOL

Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couch coyote View Post
Hey, I like that! Do your part to beautify your neighborhood!

Oh wait . . . "from my experience"? Do you do this often??? LOL
LOL - too funny!

Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 PM

1,330 posts, read 826,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In my case, because it was a wall garden, she never had to leave the public sidewalk to reach in and take the plant so perhaps she thought it was a harmless thing to do. She couldn't comprehend that she was stealing and she seemingly had no remorse whatsoever.
We have neighbors here who have strangers come onto their property and steal fruit off their trees. I recall someone recently complaining about someone stealing flowers. Some people just don't understand trespassing and theft they think everything is free for all. Those with the fruit trees have put up signs, gates, etc and people still think it's ok.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:44 PM

1,721 posts, read 575,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My friend looked out her window once and saw a passing nun steal some veggies from her yard. She was so amused she didn't try to stop her.
Now how often does one see a passing nun. And one that steals no less.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:47 AM

12,106 posts, read 6,685,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
We have neighbors here who have strangers come onto their property and steal fruit off their trees. I recall someone recently complaining about someone stealing flowers. Some people just don't understand trespassing and theft they think everything is free for all. Those with the fruit trees have put up signs, gates, etc and people still think it's ok.
Of course they understand, they just don't care and if no one pursues it they will keep doing it and maybe more.

If people are trespassing on private property that is the first crime and you go on from there to theft. A trespasser breaching a gate is pretty serious and obviously intentional.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,294,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I once had a next door neighbor, a bit of a lunatic, who would come in to my vegetable garden and help herself to whatever was ripe. The thing that annoyed me about it was that she took ALL of whatever was ripe. Every tomato that was ripe was taken. That summer I never got one piece of produce from my garden.

One day, I saw her out picking my ripe tomatoes. I strolled out and she looked up and said "oh, I know you wont mind that I help myself, you have a green thumb and I dont. You grow the best tomatoes!" Wow, she really didnt think I would mind. In the long run, I found it kind of funny.
Oh heck no. I would be very ticked to have someone come on my property, go in my garden and take veggies that I worked hard to grow! I love sharing with my neighbors, friends, co-workers and family but nobody is going to just take it from me. That is so beyond rude............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or