U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee Area of WI
1,886 posts, read 1,294,293 times
Reputation: 1988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I agree. If you have some proof, or could just send the police in the right direction, I would also call the police and report it.

This is a crime:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DGIdEyKtcw
That is just sickening......how would they like it if someone took something they worked hard for to purchase? Unreal...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,699 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63270
Everytime I see the title of this thread, I imagine a bearded woman stealing flowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2019, 05:51 PM
 
928 posts, read 255,097 times
Reputation: 2540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well then, you're a nicer person than I am. When I bought my house last fall, I was dismayed by the total lack of nice plantings in the yard, especially since I had left such an enormous number of large shrubs and trees at my old house. I refrained from putting any bulbs in, hoping that something would emerge in the spring, but alas - nada. So now that the weather is getting nice, I'm planning on a major, and expensive, revamping of my small yard which will involve planting a lot of nice shrubs and perennials and bulbs. I'll also be putting some really nice planters in my back yard. I guarantee that if I find someone stealing any of my plants or new planters, I'm not going to just "shame them" on social media, I'm filing charges.
If I found someone had been in my yard, I would hope plant theft was all they were there for. (I am just not trusting at all.)


Quote:
Originally Posted by couch coyote View Post
Hey, I like that! Do your part to beautify your neighborhood!


Oh wait . . . "from my experience"? Do you do this often??? LOL
I want to believe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,699 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63270
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
If I found someone had been in my yard, I would hope plant theft was all they were there for. (I am just not trusting at all.)
I do think it's unsettling that someone has come into my back yard several times over the years. And I know for a fact that they have. Once they left the gate open (and it's a gate that closes easily and we have literally NEVER left open) and one time I actually saw the person - at night. I thought to myself, "Surely that's just my reflection in the window," but the next morning there were FOOTPRINTS in the frost or light snow or whatever it was, right up to my kitchen window, and apparently the same person had taken a tiki torch fuel thingie out of the tiki torch (there was no wind that previous evening and besides that, no wind had ever knocked a tiki torch fuel thing out before anyway) and just laid it on the ground beside the footprints. WHAT THE HECK.

Then a person who I think is probably the same person said to me once, "I notice your husband's truck is gone so he must be working out of town this week?" What the heck. Don't say that to me. I said, "No, he's in town working and he'll be home in a little while."

This is a mentally deficient person who is an adult but still living with parents in the neighborhood. This person walks around the neighborhood a lot and apparently takes notice of a lot of things. I have always been nice to this person but now ...well, let''s just say that I have an alarm system and a license to carry.

I have never had anything stolen out of my yard though so it may be two different people, I don't know. I just know that I don't like that someone is noticing when my husband is in or out of town, and I also don't like anyone ever coming into the back yard, but especially at night and especially looking into the windows! YIKES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 09:20 AM
 
1,721 posts, read 575,889 times
Reputation: 2711
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I do think it's unsettling that someone has come into my back yard several times over the years. And I know for a fact that they have. Once they left the gate open (and it's a gate that closes easily and we have literally NEVER left open) and one time I actually saw the person - at night. I thought to myself, "Surely that's just my reflection in the window," but the next morning there were FOOTPRINTS in the frost or light snow or whatever it was, right up to my kitchen window, and apparently the same person had taken a tiki torch fuel thingie out of the tiki torch (there was no wind that previous evening and besides that, no wind had ever knocked a tiki torch fuel thing out before anyway) and just laid it on the ground beside the footprints. WHAT THE HECK.

Then a person who I think is probably the same person said to me once, "I notice your husband's truck is gone so he must be working out of town this week?" What the heck. Don't say that to me. I said, "No, he's in town working and he'll be home in a little while."

This is a mentally deficient person who is an adult but still living with parents in the neighborhood. This person walks around the neighborhood a lot and apparently takes notice of a lot of things. I have always been nice to this person but now ...well, let''s just say that I have an alarm system and a license to carry.

I have never had anything stolen out of my yard though so it may be two different people, I don't know. I just know that I don't like that someone is noticing when my husband is in or out of town, and I also don't like anyone ever coming into the back yard, but especially at night and especially looking into the windows! YIKES!
If you don't have sensor lights, still the type attached to the house one can turn on for evening access can be useful left on or, when you sense someone out there, turn on a few suddenly. Years ago we had this character who would go around to people's houses at night via the back yards. He could through raging fits in public and didn't mind how he looked. Obviously something wrong with him. Eventually he moved. Thing is, as a friend says, don't want to make them any madder. You can't tell when people like that will go off. Especially if they feel a right to your space or an comfort and love for your space or feel sort of like it's theirs and even you are theirs.

Can you say something to this person's parents like...I thought I saw your daughter out last night. They may say oh, yeah, she wanders at night helps her sleep. Gives you a clue at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,699 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Reputation: 63270
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
If you don't have sensor lights, still the type attached to the house one can turn on for evening access can be useful left on or, when you sense someone out there, turn on a few suddenly. Years ago we had this character who would go around to people's houses at night via the back yards. He could through raging fits in public and didn't mind how he looked. Obviously something wrong with him. Eventually he moved. Thing is, as a friend says, don't want to make them any madder. You can't tell when people like that will go off. Especially if they feel a right to your space or an comfort and love for your space or feel sort of like it's theirs and even you are theirs.

Can you say something to this person's parents like...I thought I saw your daughter out last night. They may say oh, yeah, she wanders at night helps her sleep. Gives you a clue at least.
Thank you and after the incident at night, we did get several sensor lights and they do work well. The gate being opened thing I believe happened during the early morning hours, probably right at daylight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2019, 03:35 PM
 
7,143 posts, read 5,414,598 times
Reputation: 5322
I've had people grab my roses then come and complain that they were hurt by the thrones. The thrones on my roses are like a bed of nails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 06:07 AM
 
38,129 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Reputation: 24565
We used to have a large raspberry patch bordering a quiet street. People used to walk by and sneak a handful for two of raspberries.

It was great fun to sit hidden behind the patch and come out as people were picking raspberries and ask, "What the hell is going on here?"

We had plenty enough to share and always did when people asked, but when they just walked into our yard and started picking, I drew the line.

But I must say, never saw anyone nervy enough to pull up my irises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 06:07 AM
 
Location: east TN
265 posts, read 73,866 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Look on the bright side. I don't worry about garden plant thieves. Someone is going up and down the roads where my land is stealing trees for firewood. Literally coming up, cutting down a large tree, and hauling it off. The property next ti mine has been hit hard. 8" diameter sugar maples just cut, got hung up and they were left to rot since they're afraid of being caught.

Yeah, rural property comes with it's own challenges.


Some people in our area hunt (steal) ginseng. I've caught a few over the years. One old guy walking down my driveway after coming off our mountain. I hollered at him and asked what he was doing:


"Well I just hunting (stealing from you) ginseng....you don't mind if a fellow does that, do you ?" (asking permission after getting caught)


Me: "You got a garden ? " Him; "Yeah, why ?"


Me: "You mind if I come hunt potatoes ?"




Deer hunters are the worst. Found a tree stand in one of my trees one day...expensive aluminum kind..., they had removed the climbing spikes (foot pegs screwed into the tree) on the way down so nobody could get back up to steal their stand. No problem. Went back to the house, got chainsaw, sawed the tree down, sawed a 6' section of the tree out with the stand attached, picked up with tractor forks, and took it to the house.



Week or so later, one of my neighbors (who I had already told "don't hunt on me") called to see if I'd 'found' a tree stand. I asked him if he found a stump ! I'd have given 100 bucks to see the look on his face when he got back to where that tree was located.....ahahahhaaaa





Another bunch.....city guys....were coming out on Saturdays, crossing over my property to get to National Forest. I probably wouldn't have said anything, except they left their lunch trash in the ditch beside where they parked at my property.


So the NEXT Saturday, I get up about 3am and go sit where I was pretty sure they were crossing. Hour or so later, they come driving in, park, get all their gear out (Bows, tree stands, etc) making enough noise to wake the dead, and proceed to cross on me. I let them get well in on my property, click on a million power spotlight with couple feet of shotgun barrel sticking out for show, and growl: "WHAT ARE YOU BOYS DOING ?" AHAHAHAAAAAA.....talk about deer in the headlights !



They made up some story about 'so and so gave them permission to be here'.....to which I replied "So and so doesn't own this to give you permission....I suggest you go wake him up and ASK him where his property lines are and stick to them.....and take your dadgum lunch trash back home with you in the future !"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 AM
 
1,721 posts, read 575,889 times
Reputation: 2711
We know a guy we used to think was a very nice older gent. We'd see him around at various county events. One day I mentioned where we live...off the road that runs outside the back of his partially wooded property. He looked blank but I'm familiar with the 'fake blank look' to get out of things. He looked kind of guilty. Wondered why.

Then one morning walking the dogs...gun shot. Gun shot right beside me from way in that guy's property. Literally inches from my arm. After the shock, I was mad. Looking back I can imagine the shock of the shooters who didn't check the surroundings but took the owners word and now hearing a "Hey, ........quit shooting" on the early Sunday morning air.

Stupid guy had other stupid guys in a couple of deer stands without checking the property. And this guy has lived there for decades. No surprise. And actually alongside the other side of his property was a community of homes there for decades.

Longer story short, law enforcement made him take down those deer stands, target ranges, stop those target shooting classes for young guys, and get rid of the roosters but the chickens he could keep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top