U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 AM

11,665 posts, read 8,256,923 times

Advertisements

So I came home from work today and a woman was on the sidewalk taking one of my Bearded Iris rhizomes from my wall garden. I confronted her and she said "Oh is that what it is? Do you want it back?" I would have cheerfully given them to her if she had asked because I have so much of it and was thinking of changing the bed anyway but this, along with her response, really got my goat. She seemed morally challenged so I simply said "no, you can have it" and I went into the house.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to you and how did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 07:39 AM

26,844 posts, read 5,734,370 times
Brazen....and so annoying.

I had a neighbor many years ago who stole my outdoor potted plants. I suspected her and went to her door, saw my hanging basket in my pot, hanging in her window. Called police and when we went to her house again, the plant had been taken down....she was confronted and immediately gave it back, along with a few others.

Like you, would have gladly given her some of them.

Later that week, she brought over more I didn't realize were gone.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 AM

44,326 posts, read 35,852,560 times
We have someone in our neighborhood who comes into peoples' yards and takes plants and pots. I have a suspicion about who it is but whatever.

Came home the other day and our gate was wide open which would take some doing so it had to have been intentional. None of our pots were gone and we hadn't planted anything in pots yet. Grrrrr!

We live in an extremely low crime rate area and I know this ranks really low on the totem pole of crime, but it's very irritating. Like other people have said, "JUST ASK."

Since this problem started a couple of years ago, I no longer leave plants outside without planting them for a day or two, like I used to. No, I bring them home and plant them immediately. Most of my plants either go in beds or in large planters. Whoever is doing this doesn't apparently dig plants up or haul off large pots or planters, it's just the little stuff. What the heck!

And honestly, now that I'm thinking about it, no, it's not a matter of "just ask." If someone is living in our neighborhood (and I believe they are) they are not poor or destitute. I think this particular person has some sort of mental health issue, honestly.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 AM

11,665 posts, read 8,256,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have someone in our neighborhood who comes into peoples' yards and takes plants and pots. I have a suspicion about who it is but whatever.

Came home the other day and our gate was wide open which would take some doing so it had to have been intentional. None of our pots were gone and we hadn't planted anything in pots yet. Grrrrr!

We live in an extremely low crime rate area and I know this ranks really low on the totem pole of crime, but it's very irritating. Like other people have said, "JUST ASK."

Since this problem started a couple of years ago, I no longer leave plants outside without planting them for a day or two, like I used to. No, I bring them home and plant them immediately. Most of my plants either go in beds or in large planters. Whoever is doing this doesn't apparently dig plants up or haul off large pots or planters, it's just the little stuff. What the heck!

And honestly, now that I'm thinking about it, no, it's not a matter of "just ask." If someone is living in our neighborhood (and I believe they are) they are not poor or destitute. I think this particular person has some sort of mental health issue, honestly.
In my case, because it was a wall garden, she never had to leave the public sidewalk to reach in and take the plant so perhaps she thought it was a harmless thing to do. She couldn't comprehend that she was stealing and she seemingly had no remorse whatsoever.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:00 AM

2,537 posts, read 1,330,257 times
We have an apple tree that is very close to the road. We have never had a single apple off it. Once I almost caught them - in a pickup - late at night - but thought well, what the heck. I'm not going roaring out there at midnight chasing who knows who?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM

1,677 posts, read 552,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So I came home from work today and a woman was on the sidewalk taking one of my Bearded Iris rhizomes from my wall garden. I confronted her and she said "Oh is that what it is? Do you want it back?" I would have cheerfully given them to her if she had asked because I have so much of it and was thinking of changing the bed anyway but this, along with her response, really got my goat. She seemed morally challenged so I simply said "no, you can have it" and I went into the house.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to you and how did you handle it?
Sounds like a nutty person. It's yours and her response is do you want it back. So she understood she was taking your property. I would have said yes to set boundaries....but, then, you can never tell when dealing with people like that. Just watch it wasn't an intro for her to take more and work inwards.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:34 AM

26,844 posts, read 5,734,370 times
Quote:
In my case, because it was a wall garden, she never had to leave the public sidewalk to reach in and take the plant so perhaps she thought it was a harmless thing to do. She couldn't comprehend that she was stealing and she seemingly had no remorse whatsoever.
Oh she knew she was stealing.....

Old 03-23-2019, 08:36 AM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
Quote:
Yeah...this lady was thoughtless, not premeditated like the examples of the potted plants and KA's gate being open. I think it's 2 different things.

That being said, I can honestly say I have never heard of people stealing potted plants. Wow.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:39 AM

14,762 posts, read 31,175,948 times
Spray them with some deer repellent. That stuff stinks. LOL

Old 03-23-2019, 08:46 AM

1,677 posts, read 552,918 times
We have a long driveway and sometimes it seems like people are afraid of it. Can't easily turn around, feels like a big commitment. So when we are giving away things like cuttings, pine cones, old vacuum, old shelves, whatever we always put them on a table up by the road. But not right at the road. So the person has to drive in a little . They give a name...can make up any name...and I write it on the thing and keep a look out every now and then.

But in our last house, we had some theft of flowers and wreaths, generally more things outside the fence than inside. So we let people who worked for us know this and it turned out they straightened out those who may be stealing from the workplace they were proud of and it stopped.

A friend we used to inn sit for had a great idea. I keep it in the back of my mind and mull it over every now and then but haven't felt the need for it yet. The husband got a very simple thing out of a catalog. Some sort of electric eye in the driveway that sounded in the kitchen when a person or vehicle crossed past it. And a light came on as well if you wanted. My current neighbor used to have the lighted version but it annoyed them so they stopped that. But I still like the idea of the ability to find where a trespasser may be walking and place the "eye" appropriately so that they are lit up at night or beeped by day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or