Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 04:43 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

After almost 25 years our Mantis tiller finally gave up the ghost. No complaint there, it's been a little powerhouse for us all that time. So, we figured why not replace in kind.

Well we haven't had the new tiller a week yet. Assembly was fine, but when I went to start it, it wouldn't. After several phone calls and trouble shooting, they figured out the engine won't start with the choke in the "start" position, but has to be in the "run" position, contrary to what the manual says.

Next, I've got maybe 10 minutes on it and the tines quite turning. Followed their checklist and everything checks out there. Too late tonight, but another phone call to them tomorrow.

I'm really wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt given we got 25 years out of our first one, but I'm starting to wonder if I got a lemon here or if they are no longer the same quality they once were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
After almost 25 years our Mantis tiller finally gave up the ghost. No complaint there, it's been a little powerhouse for us all that time. So, we figured why not replace in kind.

Well we haven't had the new tiller a week yet. Assembly was fine, but when I went to start it, it wouldn't. After several phone calls and trouble shooting, they figured out the engine won't start with the choke in the "start" position, but has to be in the "run" position, contrary to what the manual says.

Next, I've got maybe 10 minutes on it and the tines quite turning. Followed their checklist and everything checks out there. Too late tonight, but another phone call to them tomorrow.

I'm really wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt given we got 25 years out of our first one, but I'm starting to wonder if I got a lemon here or if they are no longer the same quality they once were.
Not much is the same quality as it was, I’m afraid. My parents bought a Mantis about 5 years ago, and every year had to take it into the shop. They could have bought another one new with the repair bills. I opted for a cheaper Powermate, and already had to replace the carburetor after 2 years. Two cycles hate ethanol, you have to buy pure gas which is no sold in cans at Home Depot.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

The one I had was terrible....wanted to wrap it around a tree.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:34 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
the one i had 15 years ago was great, no idea what they're like now.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM

577 posts, read 494,013 times
Tired of messing with my finicky Mantis so I sold it for $20.00 in a yard sale. Bought this Stihl MM 55 and now two years later, I would never even consider another Mantis.

Daylight to dark difference between them, as far as mini- tillers are concerned. JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 03-30-2019 at 10:16 AM..

Old 03-29-2019, 06:52 PM

Update. After another phone call, not much help. Awaiting a call back. Since there's no local dealer, we're having to go through the phone. Will post more when we hear.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:22 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Well, I am extremely happy with my new Mantis 58v battery tiller. I had my yard guys use it to till up a new garden bed on very weed-choked soil and also an established bed. One battery lasted through almost the entire job, but we went to the back-up battery to finish up the last of the established bed. It was very quiet; started instantly; and powered through the soil like a champ. I don't normally write reviews, but I'm sending a glowing one to Mantis for this new product.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:57 PM

12,967 posts, read 9,489,942 times
I bought a Mantis about 5 or 6 years ago. Admittedly, it didn't get much use (meaning I didn't start it a lot, which is not good for an engine). It has a 4-cycle Honda engine, and not long after it was out of warranty I had to replace the carburetor. Cost was almost $150 at the local authorized Mantis dealer (about 1/3 the cost of a new one). I had some health issues (bypass), so once again, didn't use it much and now it won't start again. In fact, I can't even pull the cord to turn the engine. I'm not sure what the shop might have done to it. Now that the weather's warmer, I'll have to pull it out of the garage and take a look. I remember they put a lot of what appears to be grease on the air filter element. That won't stop the engine from turning when the cord is pulled, but might keep it from running very well.

When it runs, I like what it does. But it hasn't run lately. The handle bars are a little shaky at the folding joint, even when tightened, and the kick stand doesn't stay in place, so I'm beginning to think quality might be suffering a bit at the plant.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Rented a Stihl several times last year. It ran and worked like a champ.

I need one for myself and am looking at the Honda. At $349 it is the most costly around, but my experience with Honda products has been quite good, so maybe it is worth the additional kaching.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Latest update: Transmission was locked up so they sent us a new one. It arrived yesterday and I replaced it today. It seems to be working now, but I couldn't give it a real test because my garden is a pond today. And it looks like more rain tonight. I'll report back once it dries out enough to plow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden