Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:44 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times

Advertisements

Whats your favourite tree for each of the four seasons?

I love cherry trees in spring. Those blossoms are something else. Apple trees, too.

Northern catalpas in summer. Love the white flowers they get in June, plus those quirky bean pods and those MASSIVE heart shaped leaves. Its the most tropical looking tree that can grow so far north.

I love maples in the fall. They just have the best colour, smell good and iconic leaf shapes. Birches are nice in fall, too.

In winter I love birches and Norway spruce. Nothing like a spruce covered in heavy snow, or the way a white birch blends into the wintry landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Spring: Lemon/Citrus (Aroma), Apple, Cherry

Summer: Magnolia, Crepe Myrtle

Fall: Vine Maples, Aspens, Golden Larch, a deciduous confer (See below)

Winter: Coral Bark Japanese Maple, Deodar Cedar, Holly

Old 04-06-2019, 04:02 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,659,209 times
For me:

Spring - So many choices. But I guess that I would put redbuds at the top of my list.

Summer - My Franklin tree. During the summer, there isn't much going on except for the loads of crape myrtles. But then, in the middle of July, here comes my franklinia with six weeks worth of beautiful blooms.

Autumn - Maples. So many different colors

Winter - Holly, especially if it snows

Old 04-07-2019, 07:34 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Chalk me up as another catalpa tree lover! I know they're messy but I don't care - they mark each season so vividly. I miss having one, so maybe I need to plant one.

I love apple trees in the spring, as well as redbuds and dogwoods.

I have a love/hate relationship with our river birch tree. I love the peeling birch bark but it is another messy tree - it often drops small branches, with the slightest wind, but it's a pretty tree and has beautiful yellow leaves in the fall and many, many sweet pale green leaves in the spring. Birds and squirrels love it for sure. I'm keeping it!

I really like bald cypress trees in every season - we have several on our property and I love that though they are conifers, they change colors in the fall and drop their leaves, and then in the spring the new growth is so feathery and pretty and then they are full again in the summer. I often pick branches in the fall for arrangements.

In the winter, I love that our camellias bloom in January.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:52 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,610 times
Spring - Japanese cherry, tulip and apple.
Summer - Willows are graceful trees, I also miss the Chaste tree I grew in Arizona, it had beautiful purple blooms from spring through summer.
Fall - red maples.
Winter - any pine or cedar that smells of the Season. They look beautiful frosted with snow, also holly and blue spruce.

Last edited by Taz22; 04-07-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM

349 posts, read 260,480 times
Pecan: Last to bloom....Spring is here!

Old 04-07-2019, 07:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
I enjoy Japanese Maple and Citrus trees all year around.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 AM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Crabapple trees profusely flowering in spring, sugar maples glowing orange in fall, red twig dogwood in winter.... and it's not a seasonal thing, but I love the rushing sound of wind going through pine trees...

Old 04-08-2019, 08:10 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Spring: Cherry, Magnolias, Apples
Summer: Anything with Shade
Fall: Oaks and Sugar Maples
Winter: Colorado Spruce. and Hickory & Cherry firewood

Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
I really like the fall colors of the sweet gum and the dawn redwood. For spring, I guess maybe the weeping willows, they’re always the first things to start turning green around here. In the summer, it’s hard to say, I just like the green canopy and the sound of wind and rain in it. In the winter, I guess my favorite is a large Cryptomeria Japonica we have in our yard. Sycamores look nice in the winter as well, that striking bark.

Honorable mention to several varieties of crepe myrtle for their growth habit, handsome bark, and fragrant (one of ours) flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden