U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM

592 posts, read 1,942,003 times

Advertisements

Why north west Wyoming ? The areas with better gardening climate would be the north east to south east and some micro climates in central Wyoming. Green houses are a must and careful plant selection is the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,997,588 times
Well, you stipulated the states you wanted but I would suggest Texas if you want wide open spaces, long gardening seasons, and little government interference. There are mountains in West Texas.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:11 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,380,941 times
I chose Northwest Wyoming because I like the area and I want to be close to Yellowstone and the Rockies.

As for Texas, I'd love to live there, but 1) it's too hot and humid for me. I can't take that kind of heat. And 2) I don't want to live near Mexico. I have nothing against those who live here legally, but I don't want to live near a point of entry for illegals.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM

38,967 posts, read 45,973,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I just can't handle the heat, humidity.
LOL, it's a 'dry heat'.
My wife is from MN and loves it here. Beats the cold, the mosquitos and the relative humidity that's there.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
LOL, it's a 'dry heat'.
My wife is from MN and loves it here. Beats the cold, the mosquitos and the relative humidity that's there.
Dry or not, I'm a heat wimp. I can handle -60F better than I can handle 90F! I get nauseous, queazy, light-headed and am zapped of all energy when it gets hot.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,328,909 times
Are you aware of this informative map and resource?
Click on "Play" to see how the growing temps have changed from 1990 to 2006.
Hardiness Zone Changes at arborday.org

Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Are you aware of this informative map and resource?
Click on "Play" to see how the growing temps have changed from 1990 to 2006.
Hardiness Zone Changes at arborday.org
Yup! You gave me that link in a different thread! Thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:39 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,603,354 times
it may sound a little crazy...but eastern Long Island may be for you. It is very fertile farm country out here. Quite rural with lots of small New Englandy towns on the north shore.

You will be faced with a higher cost of living...especially for utilities and taxes...but most other costs are comparable to many other parts of the US.

The growing season is a bit extended due to the moderating effects of the ocean. It does get a it humid in the summer...but rarely does the temperature go above 90F. Low to mid 80s is the norm. It can be windy...but it is beautiful country.

I live there...if this interests you feel free to PM!

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
it may sound a little crazy...but eastern Long Island may be for you. It is very fertile farm country out here. Quite rural with lots of small New Englandy towns on the north shore.

You will be faced with a higher cost of living...especially for utilities and taxes...but most other costs are comparable to many other parts of the US.

The growing season is a bit extended due to the moderating effects of the ocean. It does get a it humid in the summer...but rarely does the temperature go above 90F. Low to mid 80s is the norm. It can be windy...but it is beautiful country.

I live there...if this interests you feel free to PM!
Thanks for the recommendation! I've pretty much ruled out the northeast because of the greenhouse gas emissions, the concentration of population and the general politics of the area. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the area when I visit! And, technically, I was born in Patchogue! (We moved when I was two.) But, I think the Rocky Mountains are definitely for me!

I'm narrowing it down more and more every day. Soon, I'll have a plan in place and within a year, I'll be set to move! Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,603,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I've pretty much ruled out the northeast because of the greenhouse gas emissions, the concentration of population and the general politics of the area. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the area when I visit! And, technically, I was born in Patchogue! (We moved when I was two.) But, I think the Rocky Mountains are definitely for me!

I'm narrowing it down more and more every day. Soon, I'll have a plan in place and within a year, I'll be set to move! Thanks again!
Wow...from Patchogue!! Ok then you know enough to avoid Long Island like the plague...lol. Seriously though...we settled in Sound Beach. It is really nice out here away from everything that is NYC!

I also spent the last 4 years in northern Utah. It is a truly gorgeous place to live. The growing season may be a little short for your needs...but southern Utah could be an option. A good reliable water supply that does not do more harm than good is an issue...but it is beautiful there.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or