U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 03:14 PM

1,308 posts, read 453,140 times

Advertisements

From the Jiffy pot, where do they go next? I need to buy styrofoam cups or 1 qt inexpensive pots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 03:51 PM

67,999 posts, read 50,071,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
From the Jiffy pot, where do they go next? I need to buy styrofoam cups or 1 qt inexpensive pots?
Red 16oz cups. Just wash and reuse them every yr. I been using mine for past 15 yrs! Worth the investment.

Use regular potting soil for them. And don't forget to plant those seedlings DEEP. You'll love the result. Go up to the first set of leaves if you can.

Old 04-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Red 16oz cups. Just wash and reuse them every yr. I been using mine for past 15 yrs! Worth the investment.

Use regular potting soil for them. And don't forget to plant those seedlings DEEP. You'll love the result. Go up to the first set of leaves if you can.
CSBD Red plastic cups on Amazon? Make holes in them do they drain?

Old 04-10-2019, 04:39 AM

114 posts, read 49,858 times
Even if the tomato plants don't make it do not worry, it took me several times to get my plants started and growing right. The best thing I did to help me was I used store bought dirt. I did not think it would matter, but it did I can now grow all kinds of plants indoor. Keep at it the important thing is you are trying, kudos to you.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
CSBD Red plastic cups on Amazon? Make holes in them do they drain?
Yup, thanks, forgot that important part. I use a scissor and make 3 or 4 slits at the bottom of the cups for drainage. Then I line a box with a towel and place the cups in the box so when excess water drains the towel will absorb it.

These.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM

17,455 posts, read 7,833,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
Even if the tomato plants don't make it do not worry, it took me several times to get my plants started and growing right. The best thing I did to help me was I used store bought dirt. I did not think it would matter, but it did I can now grow all kinds of plants indoor. Keep at it the important thing is you are trying, kudos to you.
I want to emphasize and re-emphasize this. The path to becoming a green thumb is littered with dead plants. Never give up! Keep trying - and observe what plants do.

And remember, wherever you live, that the big box stores will be selling tomato and other warm-season seedlings at least two weeks before a careful gardener would put them out. So don't get stampeded by what you see in the stores. Here in the PNW, I know people who grow their tomato seedlings on a schedule for planting them out in May, while the big box stores are already selling them. A tomato planted into a PNW garden now will just sit there, waiting for warmer weather. The soil is just too dang cool yet. It helps to cloche them, but if you want to avoid too much plant-fussing, just wait until the weather is better.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I want to emphasize and re-emphasize this. The path to becoming a green thumb is littered with dead plants. Never give up! Keep trying - and observe what plants do.

And remember, wherever you live, that the big box stores will be selling tomato and other warm-season seedlings at least two weeks before a careful gardener would put them out. So don't get stampeded by what you see in the stores. Here in the PNW, I know people who grow their tomato seedlings on a schedule for planting them out in May, while the big box stores are already selling them. A tomato planted into a PNW garden now will just sit there, waiting for warmer weather. The soil is just too dang cool yet. It helps to cloche them, but if you want to avoid too much plant-fussing, just wait until the weather is better.
Your right, trial and error but just keep going. Iíve also propagated some Forsythias and want to start on two types of Viburnums that I have, an Allegheny and a Japanese snowball ( I think thatís its name) and also some spirea. I love playing in the dirt and watching things grow on a daily basis.

I walk out 1/2 acres property and inspect all trees and shrubs at least once a day. Guess Iím like a farmer or a person who should own a nursery?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 PM

369 posts, read 145,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not yet. Seedings have to be "hardened off," which is a process of slowly exposing them to full sunlight and wind. You start by putting them outside for an hour or so in a shady spot, then gradually increase the intensity of the light and the duration of time spent outside. if you just move them into full sunlight right away, they will die.

When it's time to move the seedlings from their Jiffy pots into larger pots (I recommend Styrofoam coffee cups - the smaller size), you can think about starting to harden them off. Pot them up, give them a couple of days to recover from the repotting, then start the hardening off process.
Pete Pots.

Old Today, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Pete Pots.
I never had good experience with those. But doesn't mean others wont.

There were 2 reasons I didn't like them, they stay wet longer so hard to judge when to water, and the peat wont break down fast enough so when you put it in the ground, the roots of constricted.

Old Today, 07:34 AM

Ironically, I did also plant some seeds in the Pete Pots at the same time as the Jiffy tray and although the herb seeds have developed in the Pete Pods, I’m not seeing any tomato plants yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or