U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:06 PM

1,308 posts, read 453,140 times

Advertisements

Iím attempting to grow tomato plants in doors to eventually put in 5 gallon buckets to grow them on our patio.

I have the tray in the basement next to the glass door that gets sun and as you can see, some of the plants are sprouting up.

Do I leave the plastic lid on top of the tray as the plants continue to grow?

And, if so, for how long? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Tomatoís from seed in Jiffy pot question?-2461507f-a19f-4ab4-83b0-b4c023b7df96.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 02:41 PM

6,919 posts, read 3,921,506 times
No, you should take it off after the seedlings get their first set of true leaves. The top is just to raise the humidity while the seeds are sprouting.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, you should take it off after the seedlings get their first set of true leaves. The top is just to raise the humidity while the seeds are sprouting.
Ok, will do. Put them out in the sun during the day?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Ok, will do. Put them out in the sun during the day?
Not yet. Seedings have to be "hardened off," which is a process of slowly exposing them to full sunlight and wind. You start by putting them outside for an hour or so in a shady spot, then gradually increase the intensity of the light and the duration of time spent outside. if you just move them into full sunlight right away, they will die.

When it's time to move the seedlings from their Jiffy pots into larger pots (I recommend Styrofoam coffee cups - the smaller size), you can think about starting to harden them off. Pot them up, give them a couple of days to recover from the repotting, then start the hardening off process.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:54 AM

114 posts, read 49,858 times
It is awesome that you are growing some tomato plants, good luck.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
It is awesome that you are growing some tomato plants, good luck.
Well, Iím trying to and this is my first go-round so Iím hoping it will work out and I get to grow some tomatoes❗️

I guess if my plants donít make it, I would still have time to buy tomato plants at Lowes or Home Depot.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,206 posts, read 53,117,592 times
I planted my Black Prince tomatoes from seed inside in February, planted them outside in the greenhouse last weekend as they are now over a foot tall. I had them in a south facing garden window with light coming in from the top and 3 sides, and rotated the plants daily as they bent toward the light.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:22 AM

193 posts, read 67,326 times
After finding out the hard way, I learned to start mine indoors with an oscillating fan gently blowing random directions, otherwise they grow too tall and lanky and just bust the stems when transplanted outdoors. Now they grow with nice thick stems right from the beginning, just like the ones from a nursery!

Old 04-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
After finding out the hard way, I learned to start mine indoors with an oscillating fan gently blowing random directions, otherwise they grow too tall and lanky and just bust the stems when transplanted outdoors. Now they grow with nice thick stems right from the beginning, just like the ones from a nursery!
You can also "pet" the seedings to help strengthen the stems. Just gently brush your hand back and forth across the top of the leaves, as though you were stroking the fur of an animal. The motion this causes in the stems helps toughen them up.

And when it's time to move the seedlings into a bigger pot, bury as much of the stem as you can - right up to the base of the first set of true leaves. And when you go to plant them in their permanent location outside, plant them as deep as possible. Tomatoes will sprout roots from the buried parts of their stem, so this encourages a bigger root system and thus a stronger plant.

Last edited by Aredhel; 04-09-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 01:15 PM

67,999 posts, read 50,071,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Do I leave the plastic lid on top of the tray as the plants continue to grow?

And, if so, for how long? Thanks

No lid. Looks like they are starving for light badly. (leggy). Good luck with them, its fun but can be overwhelming with what needs to be done for success. #PracticeIsKey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
After finding out the hard way, I learned to start mine indoors with an oscillating fan gently blowing random directions, otherwise they grow too tall and lanky and just bust the stems when transplanted outdoors. Now they grow with nice thick stems right from the beginning, just like the ones from a nursery !

Yup, that fan is an important process. Indoor atmosphere is VERY different from outdoor and even though you'll never match it, the wind from the fan helps strengthen them ready for the outside breeze.

The ones at the nursery are fertilized to no tomorrow and pruned very early to get those thick stems. I always hate chopping the tops off because of the short season here but I know the stems will be super thick like those if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or