U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:05 PM

83 posts, read 509,184 times

Advertisements

I would like to know other than putting up a fence is there any way I can keep my neighbors dog out of my yard? I asked them very nicely but it seems when they go on a short trip to the store, here comes there dog into my sodded yard.My neighbors yard is a mess with weeds, etc. I enjoy keeping my yard very nice and clean. Is there a powder I can put on the ground or any other fertilizer to keep it away. I have considered putting up Arbovitae trees. I prefer not to put up a fence. Thanks for any help you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,379,809 times
There are deterrents that are safe for plants but I used them so the dog won't chew on the plants rather than not go on them. It sure stinks (wear rubber gloves when spraying!). I guess if you spray a large enough area, the dog will pick up the scent and move on. Good luck...try not to lose your patience!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
Pet the dog. Feed it. Bring it into your house. Pretty soon your neighbor will keep it home to avoid losing it.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:25 PM

2,894 posts, read 4,995,391 times
Airsoft gun at about 20 yds.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM

236 posts, read 726,104 times
A ticklish situation, to be sure. Surely there is some sort of leash law that requires the dog to be restrained. The big problem is, other than talking nicely to the owner (which doesn't sound like it'll ever work) anything you do is likely to make living next door a bit more difficult.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM

28,505 posts, read 21,629,733 times
Try some cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it along your border. Also I found deer and rabbit repellant works well for the dogs around our area.
The drawback for the above two mentioned is that you have to use it constantly until the dog gives up and stays put.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:11 AM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Try some cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it along your border. Also I found deer and rabbit repellant works well for the dogs around our area.
The drawback for the above two mentioned is that you have to use it constantly until the dog gives up and stays put.
....also regular black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, citrus peels....there are a number of things dogs don't like the smell of and will generally work as a deterrent.

I say generally because dogs that are highly territorial will take the strange scent as something to be overpowered and will work hard at laying their own scent over it .

At my last house, by my mailbox I had a nice plant bed. Certain dogs would trample it (while their owners just stood there ), and I also had a problem with owners letting their dogs poop on my lawn (don't get me started on that one! ). I used all of the above depending on what I had on hand at the time, and they were all pretty effective...but there was this one Jack Russell terrier (not neutered, of course) who was highly territorial and he would roll in the scent and pee on it and poop on it - he was a crazy dog and my method backfired on me with that one dog (but deterred the others no problem).

As Nitram said, you have to reapply over and over and that's sort of a pain, but you can buy the pepper and such in bulk at Costco or Sam's to make it not so expensive.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:35 AM

236 posts, read 726,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
...but there was this one Jack Russell terrier (not neutered, of course) who was highly territorial and he would roll in the scent and pee on it and poop on it - he was a crazy dog and my method backfired on me with that one dog (but deterred the others no problem).
The only thing that would have worked on that dog/owner would have been to let your dog out for a snack !

Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 AM

13,779 posts, read 17,016,507 times
Call animal control and let your irresponsible neighbors deal with going to retrieve their dog.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 AM

888 posts, read 2,205,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Call animal control and let your irresponsible neighbors deal with going to retrieve their dog.
Only way to handle it if they won't listen to your asking to keep it home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden