U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 03:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,222 posts, read 53,133,003 times

Advertisements

We always did artichokes in CA so I don’t consider them uncommon. I tried here, and did pretty well the first two years, with a decent crop of small ones, very tasty. Then the next winter we had a more sustained freeze and they succumbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:56 PM

185 posts, read 18,296 times
Fascinating post.

I guess Im still pretty conservative about vegetables, but not food in itself.

I grew up on traditional British-type stodge .EG meat and three veg. Lamb was the cheap meat, so we had it 3-4 times week. Meat and Vegetables were all cooked to within an inch of their lives.

An aside.I have a facsimile edition of the 1912 version of "Mrs Beeton's Cookery Book" Mrs Beeton advises the house wife to cook cabbage for 45 minutes. That gives an idea what Aussie food was like until mid 1970's

I had my first Pizza, from Adelaide's only pizza shop, in 1966.

The White Australia policy ended in 1975, and Vietnamese refugees began arriving from the late 70's. New arrivals bough their own cuisine , opened cafes and restaurants. Aussie eating habits changed to the point that there is a now style of cooking called 'Australian fusion'

I started eating new foods when living in Malaysia and Singapore, especially Cantonese and Szechuan styles. I left home in 1970, and began trying unfamiliar foods.

Fruit and vegetables which were new to me included.

Mango and Paw*Paw

'Kiwi Fruit"

Avocado

Capsicum (bell peppers) and the whole range of peppers, mild and hot

Eggplant (aubergine)

Red onions

Garlic

Lemon Grass

A range of Chinese and Vietnamese green vegetables. Bok Choy become a staple. tried so-called 'Vietnamese mint' which is actually a form of coriander, which I don't like a lot of with my food.

Learned to appreciate and to cook; Italian, Indian and Chinese.IE bought a Wok, and made my Indian spices from scratch with a mortar and pestle. Bought a pasta machine.

In the early 1970's FINALLY discovered real coffee. Stopped drinking instant . That was the year I discovered cannoli and gelati

I have tried vegetables which have been new to me. Some I dislike, such as Rocket and a bitter green which looks a bit like spinach .

Old Today, 04:59 PM

3,810 posts, read 9,328,252 times
If you like turnips, how about rutabagas - one of my favorites but they're especially good when they’re fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or