U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

21,856 posts, read 27,609,133 times

Advertisements

It's garden planting time.

What veggies do you all plant that are less well known but well worth the effort?

I love the white turnips, Hakurei. Eat raw, crispy, lovely flavor.

Purple Passion asparagus: I though it was a gimmick, but this is the best tasting, most tender asparagus.

Painted Serpent melon: this is an Armenian cucumber with excellent flavor and never any bitterness. I've had some difficulty getting them to germinate, so plant a few extras. They are prolific, so very few vines needed.

Snow Leopard melon: closest comparison is honeydew, but not the same. This will produce a good melon in a short growing season. As will "Alaska" cantaloupe.

Any recommendations for odd veggies to try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

25,416 posts, read 5,157,346 times
Yard long beans or snake beans.....grow about 12 to 15 inches...tastes like regular green bean...fun to grow.

Purple bush beans...turn green when cooking

Pattypan squash

Loofahs

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,222 posts, read 53,133,003 times
I don't know yet if it will be worth the effort, but I have several dozen Broccolini plants that I started in the house, and have been outside for a couple of weeks. I too have the Purple Passion asparagus, the first one just popped up about an inch yesterday.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,026,259 times
Kohlrabi (wonderful in salads or chopped fresh)
I'll second the purple podded beans but I grow the pole variety
Heirloom tomatoes especially the black types
Tatsoi or other Asian greens
Tromboncini squash. Eat it young. Great on the grill, sautéed, in soups or stir fry. Prolific and not much bothered by bugs.
Ginger. Fantastic fresh. A lighter flavor. I can eat the thing raw. Good in stir fry, on meats etc.

Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM

68,022 posts, read 50,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Any recommendations for odd veggies to try?
Artichokes?

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

10,893 posts, read 17,306,040 times
My favorite tomato is a momotaro. They are so delicious.

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

17,779 posts, read 22,161,634 times
I don't know if you'd consider it odd or not, but lemon cucumbers always did great for me in WA, even way up in the mountains with a very short growing season. You can eat the skins and they are very prolific and don't need as much time to mature as most regular cucumber varieties. They're quite sweet, too - not bitter at all, and I never had a "burp" issue with them, either.

Another winner for me in the same climate was Chinese snow peas.

Old Today, 07:03 AM

53 posts, read 9,236 times
Mangelwurzel. In 1975, I had the second largest mangelwurzel at the Oregon State Fair.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

21,856 posts, read 27,609,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Artichokes?

Ive tried to grow artichokes. Their climate requirements are quite restrictive. They didn't do well for me. The plants would grow but not produce.

Artichokes are perennials. The perennials that do well for me are the asparagus, rhubarb, and berries. The rhubarb is a good one for me to grow because my family loves it and it is difficult to find in the grocery store. it's not "less common"; lots of gardens contain a rhubarb plant.

My next door neighbor grew white eggplant, variety "Casper". It was delicious, but didn't grow well for me. I don't know what he did that I didn't, but it grew for hm and not for me.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

12,150 posts, read 5,785,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Ive tried to grow artichokes. Their climate requirements are quite restrictive. They didn't do well for me. The plants would grow but not produce.

Artichokes are perennials. The perennials that do well for me are the asparagus, rhubarb, and berries. The rhubarb is a good one for me to grow because my family loves it and it is difficult to find in the grocery store. it's not "less common"; lots of gardens contain a rhubarb plant.

My next door neighbor grew white eggplant, variety "Casper". It was delicious, but didn't grow well for me. I don't know what he did that I didn't, but it grew for hm and not for me.
Artichokes are very easy here, but they take up space.

For the OP question, I grow aragula and mache lettuce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or