U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
17,544 posts, read 7,899,646 times
Reputation: 10125

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Oh, thank you for all the book suggestions and the permaculture info and website, I'll look into all that. Whereabouts are you in PNW? BTW, I love how easy it is to grow things up here. In SoCal, it was always hard to keep things alive due to the heat or the cold snaps that we called winter. LOL. But, at least my plumerias were always bountiful, blooming, and beautiful! Gotta take the good and bad I guess.
In Oregon, I've lived in the Medford area, Cave Junction area, and Salem. Now living near Tacoma in Washington.

Yes, it's gardener's paradise here. And you know all those famous British garden writers? Now you can actually read them for advice, not just for that matchless prose.


Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Again, thank you so much for all the resources and comments. If you don't mind answering some questions when i start looking into permaculture or the books you recommended, is it okay if I DM you here? Or we can share email?
DM me, then we can exchange real life emails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2019, 12:28 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,584 posts, read 2,978,674 times
Reputation: 2959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm trying hard not to sound snarky here, but you do realize that even potted plants are subject to insect infestations like aphids or thrips, right? The only plants you will find that will have absolutely no insects around them EVER are plastic.

I have some beautiful fake orchids. No really, they look real. Even people who raise orchids have thought they were real. Unless I haven't dusted them in awhile. LOL

No worries, you can be snarky if you like. Hehe. Again, I'm not against bugs, I just don't want them crawling on me. Aphids usually get killed or dealt with as they do harm to my plants. I also haven't really had an infestation or any issues with them, so there is that too. Maybe I'm just lucky? Point is. I don't like bugs. I don't kill them unless they're in my house. I just don't want to sit amongst them (standing planters would be doable). If they have less access to crawling on me, the better. That's all that I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
 
5,883 posts, read 6,754,706 times
Reputation: 3637
I'd probably just clean the green house up a bit and use it as a storage shed. Bugs in outdoor raised beds are more likely to be just passing through, rather than setting up webs and nests like they would in a greenhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 01:30 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,584 posts, read 2,978,674 times
Reputation: 2959
I wanted to say thanks to everyone. I started cleanig out the greenhouse. Spiders and ants all over everything in there (I was using it as storage for some of my empty pots, soil, gardening stuff). I think I had at leat a dozen a mini-heartattacks. And yet 15 feet away, our storage shed is fine.

Then I released some ladybugs the other night; my bf bought those containers full of them for my rose bushes. After being super squeamish about the ones that were crawling all over the container, I decided it was best if I sell the greenhouse. Obvoiusly I don't do good with bugs and even ones I like! And I'm even worse in enclosed spaces.

However, now I'm trying to figure out what this thing is worth or what kind of greenhouse it is. I can't really find anything online that looks similar. Help! Any ideas of what brand it is or keywords for me to search for?

Pics are in the original post.

I'm bummed that I have this bug phobia. And I can tell it's "crawling" bug phobia since I like ladybugs and have no issues moving them one-by-one, but put a grip of them in a container and next thing you know, I'm like, here take this; I'm not touching it. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 PM
 
Location: NJ
10,306 posts, read 21,040,811 times
Reputation: 8089
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I wanted to say thanks to everyone. I started cleanig out the greenhouse. Spiders and ants all over everything in there (I was using it as storage for some of my empty pots, soil, gardening stuff). I think I had at leat a dozen a mini-heartattacks. And yet 15 feet away, our storage shed is fine.

Then I released some ladybugs the other night; my bf bought those containers full of them for my rose bushes. After being super squeamish about the ones that were crawling all over the container, I decided it was best if I sell the greenhouse. Obvoiusly I don't do good with bugs and even ones I like! And I'm even worse in enclosed spaces.

However, now I'm trying to figure out what this thing is worth or what kind of greenhouse it is. I can't really find anything online that looks similar. Help! Any ideas of what brand it is or keywords for me to search for?

Pics are in the original post.

I'm bummed that I have this bug phobia. And I can tell it's "crawling" bug phobia since I like ladybugs and have no issues moving them one-by-one, but put a grip of them in a container and next thing you know, I'm like, here take this; I'm not touching it. LOL.
I don't care for bugs, especially gardening where I'm at. I always seem to find spiders in the soil. I don't mind praying mantis or one lady bug here and there. I dislike a swarm of lady bugs in my house.

I wish I had advice on how to find how much it's worth. Do any of your neighbors still talk to the old owners or do they know anything about the green house? They may if they were friends with the old owners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
6,923 posts, read 6,367,106 times
Reputation: 13147
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post


...... I decided it was best if I sell the greenhouse. ...... However, now I'm trying to figure out what this thing is worth or what kind of greenhouse it is. I can't really find anything online that looks similar. Help! Any ideas of what brand it is or keywords for me to search for?

Pics are in the original post.

It's not any brand - that's a "Do-It-Yourself homemade greenhouse project" and it was likely designed and built from scratch by the previous homeowner. You can find a few other pictures of homemade DIY designs that are sort of similar to it if you scroll through here: https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isc...ih=583&dpr=1.5

Those two pictures you posted aren't adequate for judging it's worth and you haven't said what size it is. If you want to get an estimated value on it or to try to sell it online you will need to measure it and post its length, width and height and the materials it's made out of, also post additional pictures of the cleaned up inside - walls, ceiling and floor, and of the outside walls - plus a better view of the roof as seen from outside.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,584 posts, read 2,978,674 times
Reputation: 2959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not any brand - that's a "Do-It-Yourself homemade greenhouse project" and it was likely designed and built from scratch by the previous homeowner. You can find a few other pictures of homemade DIY designs that are sort of similar to it if you scroll through here: https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isc...ih=583&dpr=1.5

Those two pictures you posted aren't adequate for judging it's worth and you haven't said what size it is. If you want to get an estimated value on it or to try to sell it online you will need to measure it and post its length, width and height and the materials it's made out of, also post additional pictures of the cleaned up inside - walls, ceiling and floor, and of the outside walls - plus a better view of the roof as seen from outside.

.
I'll check out the link and thank you for the suggestions. I do plan on cleaning it up and getting a better pic of the roof, especially since it has the sunroof thing that opens up on its own. Really, it looks DIY? Interesting. Unfortunately all the original people on the street are pretty much gone; within 2 years, everyone overturned on that street. I may ask our RE agent as I know she's a gardener or may have some answers.

I'll see if I can get better pics this weekend. BTW, I believe it's 7x9x7 feet at the peak. Maybe I can find something inside that says what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2019, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
68,241 posts, read 50,348,020 times
Reputation: 11146
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I decided it was best if I sell the greenhouse. Obvoiusly I don't do good with bugs and even ones I like! And I'm even worse in enclosed spaces.
Sad to hear. Does that mean you'll be selling your home too? Or keep moving out? I hate bugs but they are everywhere and you cant stop them. One reason why I hate summer, (bugs!) Best thing you can do is keep things clean and try to prevent them so not sure why that can't be done inside this beautiful shed that a majority of us would love to have. They do sell sprays which you can coat the inside with and you wont see another bug for a long time. Anyway - Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,584 posts, read 2,978,674 times
Reputation: 2959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Sad to hear. Does that mean you'll be selling your home too? Or keep moving out? I hate bugs but they are everywhere and you cant stop them. One reason why I hate summer, (bugs!) Best thing you can do is keep things clean and try to prevent them so not sure why that can't be done inside this beautiful shed that a majority of us would love to have. They do sell sprays which you can coat the inside with and you wont see another bug for a long time. Anyway - Best of luck.

I get where all of you are coming from in regards to bugs. But like I've stated, it's a phobia, which means irrational. I can't do anything about it. Unfortunately, the more I think about it, the more I'd have to force myself to go inside. I mean, even right now as I sit on my computer 25 miles away, just thinking about this makes me want to cry and I can sense that I'm about to freak out and have a panic attack. What's the point of keeping it when I can use that prime sun space for other things that I'm willing to use?



As for the bug spray, can you send me a link? I want to see how harmful it is. I mean, it kills bugs, so I'm assuming it's some sort of pesticide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:00 AM
 
Location: The house I built
415 posts, read 185,068 times
Reputation: 939
I got a 10x10 hobby greenhouse. I also have several raised beds 3-4 feet by 10 feet. In the seattle area it is much too hot in the greenhouse for most vegetables. Over 120 degrees with the door and vents open. Even the peppers get moved outside beginning in July. What I use it for is starting my seedlings as early as February. I fill it up with trays and small pots and gradually move everything to the beds as the weather warms. The floor is 4 inches of gravel over plastic but I still get things growing in the gravel.



A spray mix of vinegar and salt keeps the gravel floor clean and clear of weeds. I have no bugs to speak of in the greenhouse. Where I stack the 1, 2 and 5 gallon black pots behind the greenhouse they get full of very large wolf spiders. They like the dark places.



In my garage I painted everything white. All the shelves top and bottom. Spiders don't like bright spaces. If the bugs are still a problem, get some Terro sticky cards at the home depot. Anything that touches them becomes a permanent fixture on the card and other critters get stuck looking for what looks like an easy meal. I have one right now on my bay window as the new lady friend wanted house plants there so I am catching a bunch of the tiny flying critters that came in with the plants.



The little rolls of sticky ribbon are cheap also and catch anything flying. I prefer not to use bug spray if I can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top