Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2019, 07:21 AM

46 posts, read 44,744 times

Advertisements

might call a company to cut my grass but I only want them to use electric lawnmower. I hate gas lawnmowers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Sure, you can make that request, but may have a hard time finding a company that will agree. I have never seen a landscape/lawn care company with anything in their trailers but gas mowers.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
You could buy your own electric mower, and ask them to use it. You’d also need to buy your own electric leaf blower - gas blowers are even noisier than lawn mowers. They’ll probably charge you extra too, because it will take them more time, because the gas tools are more powerful and get the job done faster.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:43 AM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Sure. You call the company, ask "are your mowers gas or electric?" and move on from the ones whose answer doesn't suit you.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:24 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
If you provide the equipment, you can probably find someone who will agree. Nobody is going to buy electric equipment for one customer (I doubt there's much of a market for your request, so it would just be catering to you).

Old 04-19-2019, 03:27 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,024,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralProjection View Post
might call a company to cut my grass but I only want them to use electric lawnmower. I hate gas lawnmowers.

You can make the request but it will probably do you no good. It's a head-ache for them. Companies who do yard work generally do not use electrical equipment, it's too slow and besides which, they have no guarantee that there will be access to safe, grounded electrical outlets outdoors for them to use on the properties of their customers who hire them.

If you don't already have your own equipment, as others have mentioned you will likely still have to buy the electrical equipment you want used anyway if you're going to hire a company and their hourly rates will cost you more and it will take them longer to do. And the company will not accept responsibility for any potential damages or break-downs incurred to your equipment, or for any liability problems with the equipment, in the course of their work.

If you already have your own electric lawnmower another option is you could hire a local kid to use your equipment and it won't cost you quite as much as a professional yard work company would charge. But disposal of the grass clippings would be your responsibility and you will have the upkeep of the equipment to maintain.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:06 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
If your lawn isn't huge, you can buy a battery powered lawn mower that works quite well. If you have the battery mower and battery leaf blower, you can hire regular handyman to do the job. Professional gardeners aren't going to own and use electric equipment.

It takes no skill to run a lawn mower, so just about anyone can do it. For trimming plants and maybe pulling weeds, you need someone with knowledge. But no need to identify the variety of grass or to trim it a special way, just push the mower in a relatively straight line.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,012,965 times
Can you imagine if lawn mowing people had to use battery powered equipment? You may not hear the mowers and weed eaters running, but they sure would crank up those gas fired generators, as soon as they needed to recharge the batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden