U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 02:40 PM

20 posts, read 3,869 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

My flower bed is being invaded by maple sprouts. There are 5 huge maple trees in the yard, and there are a ton of these buds popping up. I've pulled up probably 60 of them today, and I'm guessing there are at least 100 more. (My knees and back are telling me "Enough-stop leaning over".) Is there another way to get rid of these, or is there something I can spray them with to kill them?
Attached Thumbnails
Maple Sprouts In Flower Bed-hosta-1.jpg   Maple Sprouts In Flower Bed-hosta-2.jpg   Maple Sprouts In Flower Bed-hosta-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:39 PM

46 posts, read 81,746 times
Plant some flowers and/or groundcovers. The more exposed dirt you have, the more you'll have unwanted weeds, trees, etc coming up. Alternatively you could put down a thick layer of mulch, but that's a lot of work in itself.

Old 04-21-2019, 03:53 PM

1,959 posts, read 958,281 times
Welcome to my world.

I've been known to grind them under my heel, kick them down, hoe them down, and pull them by hand. An occasional chipmunk uses them for snacks--every little bit helps.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:30 PM

17,536 posts, read 7,893,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds Fan View Post
Greetings everyone,

My flower bed is being invaded by maple sprouts. There are 5 huge maple trees in the yard, and there are a ton of these buds popping up. I've pulled up probably 60 of them today, and I'm guessing there are at least 100 more. (My knees and back are telling me "Enough-stop leaning over".) Is there another way to get rid of these, or is there something I can spray them with to kill them?
Any herbicide that would kill maple seedlings would also kill your flowers.

I suggest a scuffle or hula hoe. Stand up to weed, much easier on your back and knees.

Keep in mind that this is largely a time-limited problem. The intense germination you are seeing now will be done in a week or two. You will probably see occasional seedlings throughout the growing season, but it won’t be anything like the flush you are seeing now.

Or just get rid of the trees and plant something that is lower maintenance. If you hire someone to get rid of the trees, there are herbicides that a licensed applicator can buy and use that are not available to you.

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-21-2019 at 05:38 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 05:43 PM

1,942 posts, read 773,475 times
Maybe use Preen. It stops seeds from germinating. But once they are growing it won't do anything.
https://www.preen.com/products/preen...lus-plant-food
They even make some that is safe for vegi gardens. Of course you can't start veggies from seeds planted in garden. You have to grow them in pots and once growing you can plant in garden.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preen-5-...4219/307852680

Last edited by Izzie1213; 04-21-2019 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 PM

5,420 posts, read 4,917,173 times
I just cut and cut and cut and cut and cut and....

Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM

20 posts, read 3,869 times
I live in a rental property, so getting rid of the trees won't be an option. (Landlord doesn't mind us landscaping, but the trees aren't going to be removed at any time-they're in good shape.) And I was standing up-I have long legs, so it's quite a bit of a chore for me to lean over to pull them out of the ground. (Eventually, the body says "Enough of this-it's time to stand back up". LOL) I see the Preen has some good reviews, so maybe I'll try that.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM

670 posts, read 200,153 times
They don't grow into trees quickly. You could pull five every evening for a month. It would be easier on your back. Slow and steady.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:38 AM

5,225 posts, read 2,637,399 times
How large are is this area? Maybe just take a box of black garbage bags, lay them over the area around your other plants, and then throw some dirt on the bags to make sure they stay put. After a month or so, everything under the plastic will be dead.

Of course, if the maple trees sprouts are in your lawn, that's not going to work.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:10 AM

5,822 posts, read 6,552,293 times
Sorry to say, but gardening involves hard work. The best way to get rid of involuntary growth is to pull it out. I have the same problem as you except mine is red bud shoots. Thousands of them.

Get down on your knees. Pick a warm but not too hot day and go to work. Put a pad under your knees, or strap on knee pads and have at it. Couple hours work and you can pull them all and rest easy. Until next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or