U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 03:54 PM

4,272 posts, read 5,485,217 times

Advertisements

I was gifted a couple of pots of tulips for Easter. They are fine now, still blooming and enjoying the spring, but does anyone have advice about how to take care of them after the blossoms are gone? I assume that they just continue to feed the bulbs with the leaves, so they can stay in their pots, and I will water. But eventually, I will need to move them. I live in a town house, so no yard, but I have larger pots of flowers (and other things) on my 2 decks. When would be a good time to transplant the bulbs (winter?) Should they get water during this dormant stage? We don't really get freezing in the winter, but it gets down to just above freezing, and is rainy in the winter. Should I put a pot of tulip bulbs where they don't get those winter rains? (I have a deck area that has a cover.) Just any tips on container tulips would be good. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 04:06 PM

377 posts, read 54,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I was gifted a couple of pots of tulips for Easter. They are fine now, still blooming and enjoying the spring, but does anyone have advice about how to take care of them after the blossoms are gone? I assume that they just continue to feed the bulbs with the leaves, so they can stay in their pots, and I will water. But eventually, I will need to move them. I live in a town house, so no yard, but I have larger pots of flowers (and other things) on my 2 decks. When would be a good time to transplant the bulbs (winter?) Should they get water during this dormant stage? We don't really get freezing in the winter, but it gets down to just above freezing, and is rainy in the winter. Should I put a pot of tulip bulbs where they don't get those winter rains? (I have a deck area that has a cover.) Just any tips on container tulips would be good. Thanks.
Depends on the climate. Flowering tulips are sold here every year. However, South Australia has a Mediterranean climate. That means that after flowering, bulbs need to be kept in a cool place. We keep them in a plastic bag in vegetable crisper in the fridge for a few months. At least my sister does. I'll ask her for specific details you need them.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:37 PM

36,579 posts, read 44,813,440 times
I have the same dilemma. I received a pot of tulips, but my climate is too warm for them. If you store the bulbs in the fridge for the winter, they might bloom again.

Old 04-21-2019, 05:24 PM

344 posts, read 316,125 times
Then do you need to plant them up early in the year and feed them? I've seen some lovely containers of tulip combinations, besides they're my favorite spring flower.

Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

4,867 posts, read 8,647,165 times
I planted tulips in my front yard and has pretty much left them alone. In the spring time after they flowered and dropped, I left the leaves alone and they continue to soak up the sun and stored energy in the bulbs. In the fall/ winter they entered into dormancy and in the spring they start all over again.

So if you need to transplant them, Id say do it in the winter.

Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

5,834 posts, read 2,077,296 times
I live in the midwest (St. Louis area.) Around these parts, the best time to plant tulip bulbs are in the fall, before the ground freezes, if you want flowers in the Spring.

That said, if you didn't plant in the Fall, but you really want the flowers, you can always buy them ALMOST ready to bloom, and plant them in the Spring. I've done this. lol

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

4,867 posts, read 8,647,165 times
I buy at Walmart after the fall planting season when they marked down prices to reduce inventory. $2 for a bag of 12 tulips, not a bad deal

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

4,272 posts, read 5,485,217 times
Thanks, all. I think my plan is to leave them in the nursery (plastic) pots, watering as usual through the fall, then transplant them in the winter to a larger, permanent pot. Nobody said anything about withholding water in the winter, so I guess I can just leave the pot out. I live in N. California. The ground never freezes, we generally get only an occasional light frost in the winter, but cool weather with rain, and dry, warm summers.

I looked up toxicity to cats and dogs, as this will determine which deck I have to put them on, as the pets have access to one but not the other. It appears that the bulbs are highly toxic, but the leaves/blossoms are mildly toxic, enough to make a cat throw up. So I guess they will go on the no-pet deck, along with my rhubarb, hydrangea, and lemon grass. (Lemon grass is not toxic, but it is like cat nip, in that the cat is SUPER drawn to it, eats it, then throws up. Not good.)

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Status: "I have strong opinions and won't apologize for them." (set 11 days ago)

8,677 posts, read 3,283,230 times
I have left mine in pots after the blooms died. The came up the following winter in the same pots.

Old Today, 07:32 PM

5,946 posts, read 3,240,562 times
If you keep them outside on a deck then just leave them there. Clip the dead leaves after the flower wilts. As long as you have a cold enough winter for dormancy, they should re-bloom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden