U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:15 PM

1,037 posts, read 467,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Really, c'mon fellow gardeners, there have to be some things you put in your containers, not everyone puts plants in the ground.
I have gardens in the ground around the house, and on the deck, I have every beautiful flower or a plant with gorgeous leaves, available. Gardening with containers, gives me the freedom to move them anywhere. I feel closer to them, and get a sense of peace, and beauty.....I have several Tropical plants, I love them all especially my Phlox and Echinacea. I am also madly in love with Oriental Lilies......

This year I went for lots of money, as the prices of plants have risen dramatically. But, I do not care for the money....I love the excitement of seeing them grow from a small plant to a gorgeous plant full of flowers. I leave the vegetables to be grown at the markets, easier to buy them.

For me, grasses do not do well in containers......I have tried several, and all have died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I live down in the Phoenix area and my plants have to survive long hot and dry summers. Elephant food, which comes from Africa and is really eaten by elephants there, is a huge favorite of mine. It looks remarkably like Jade plant. In some pots I add Purple Heart, and they do very well together. My pots are kept year-to-year and the plants keep getting bigger. They get "haircuts" in the Spring and I give those cuttings to friends or root them in the ground.

Do you mean rooting them in the ground, or layering a piece of the mother plant and putting soil on top of it?

Old 04-27-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I have one container, a raised bed of sorts, 3.5 ft by 2 feet. I have Two tomato plants, Two Cucumber plants, an eggplant, and a Cayenne Pepper.

Its something of an experiment for me this year. Filled exclusively with dirt/mulch/compost dug out of my chicken run.
YOU are so lucky......with all those chickens......EGGS, and compost........

Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,452,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I have gardens in the ground around the house, and on the deck, I have every beautiful flower or a plant with gorgeous leaves, available. Gardening with containers, gives me the freedom to move them anywhere. I feel closer to them, and get a sense of peace, and beauty.....I have several Tropical plants, I love them all especially my Phlox and Echinacea. I am also madly in love with Oriental Lilies......

This year I went for lots of money, as the prices of plants have risen dramatically. But, I do not care for the money....I love the excitement of seeing them grow from a small plant to a gorgeous plant full of flowers. I leave the vegetables to be grown at the markets, easier to buy them.

For me, grasses do not do well in containers......I have tried several, and all have died.
I had Oriental Lilies in the ground and the deer ate the tops off them. If, I do say so myself, I grown lovely stalks.

If you have a sunny location and a trellis or obelisk try a Thumbergia alata. It is essentially a Black Eyed Susan in a climbing vine, it's such a happy plant. It comes in a tangerine orange, yellow, pink and white, all with a black dot in the center.

A local community where I live plants 20,000 tulips every fall and every spring the community gets to dig them out and keep them. I must have 200 tulips, in deep purple, yellow, red and red and white. They will stay in my garage until the foliage wilts and then I will cut them off and store them til the fall when I plant them.

I have a calla lilies in one container, but I made a mistake last year and fertilized with a higher nitrogen fertilizer by mistake and they did not produce a lot of flowers. This year will be interesting. I also have elephant ears in containers.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 AM

25,810 posts, read 32,790,236 times
I have a few of Talavera planters that I bought last year because I could no longer resist them. LOL.
But I can't grow anything inside unless it is a super low-light plant - I just don't have much natural light in my house.
So I want to place them outside, with something...once I decide on what to put in them. Do any of you have these? Do you use a planter inside them - of do you put the soil directly in the pottery?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 AM

8,176 posts, read 6,066,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
YOU are so lucky......with all those chickens......EGGS, and compost........
We'll see how the chicken-dirt container works out! Its crazy how quickly they reduce matter though...In the winter I'd drop three bins of leaves in a big pile, no more notable pile the next morning...

Old 05-04-2019, 09:08 PM

4,355 posts, read 5,558,781 times
I have ONLY containers, since I live in a townhouse and have no "dirt" of my own. In containers on my two decks, I have: a naval orange tree, two kumquat trees, three small fig trees, a mulberry tree, a black gooseberry bush, a pot of strawberries, a planter of black berries, rosemary, thyme, lemon grass, oregano, sage, chives, basil, mint, rhubarb, cardamom, a pot of mother ferns, and this year I planted a dwarf cherry tree. For flowers, I have lots of snapdragons, petunias, lupine, three Christmas cacti, and I also have several pots with various succulents. And one miniature rose bush. And a planter full of okra, just coming up.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:37 AM

68,909 posts, read 51,063,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Now come on, I know you better, you have little grow lights inside with mini pots ready to fly into them. Has Ct. been wet this year? We here in De. have had a wet winter, not much snow, but rain this spring. Looking forward to seeing your plants this year. Missed it last year.

lol. Sorry for the delay. Yeah, they are all in cups, nothing in containers yet. Yes, we have been wet. Record amount of days with precip in April. Record low sunshine. 6.50"+ of rain last month and the clouds and rain is continuing now in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Aloes and mint. Mint to keep it contained and aloes to bring inside during the winter so they won't freeze to death.
I can't find mint seeds around here. Only Spearmint. That's cool you can grow Aloe there but I have no idea where "where" is. No location in your header.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,041,160 times
The question seems foreign to me, because, what don't we have growing in containers? We currently have 50 tomato plants growing in containers under a 10x20 clear tarp. We call it "tomato town". Almost anything you can grow in the ground you can grow in containers. We have grown corn, tomatoes, potatoes (sweet and Irish), fruits, herbs, vegetables of all kinds. People even grow rice in kiddie pools. Because of our poor soil everything (other than trees) is either grown in a container or a raised bed. We get cinder soil (50% topsoil, 50% ground cinder) delivered 8 tons at a time and mix it with compost and manure from our livestock.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:52 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,058,217 times
Roses, delphinium, Johnson's Blue geraniums, wallflowers, verbena, various wildflowers, and dwarf sunflowers are planted but not up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or