Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 05:31 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The question seems foreign to me, because, what don't we have growing in containers? We currently have 50 tomato plants growing in containers under a 10x20 clear tarp. We call it "tomato town". Almost anything you can grow in the ground you can grow in containers. We have grown corn, tomatoes, potatoes (sweet and Irish), fruits, herbs, vegetables of all kinds. People even grow rice in kiddie pools. Because of our poor soil everything (other than trees) is either grown in a container or a raised bed. We get cinder soil (50% topsoil, 50% ground cinder) delivered 8 tons at a time and mix it with compost and manure from our livestock.
Actually as the original poster, I realized too late that I should have used different language in the title. What I was looking for was, what combination of flowers do you put together in a container? I wanted some of hte more creative combinations, but I already planted the containers since I asked the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 08:03 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Actually as the original poster, I realized too late that I should have used different language in the title. What I was looking for was, what combination of flowers do you put together in a container? I wanted some of hte more creative combinations, but I already planted the containers since I asked the question.
I knew what you meant, but I nearly always fill a pot with one thing, and don't have any of them planted yet!

Old 05-12-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I knew what you meant, but I nearly always fill a pot with one thing, and don't have any of them planted yet!
You were smart. I always wait til the full moon after Mother's Day to plant, because that was the barometer in NY. I was itchy this year to get into the garden and plant and into making the deck pretty. So Wednesday I spent on the ground planting and Friday on the pots. Yesterday I spent moving all the pots from the deck under cover, and then moving some into the garage. I had to move the pots in front of my house to the porch and then I tarped over the veggies. We heard we were in for 1.5 inches of rain and I didn't want to chance that they were wrong, which in Rehoboth they often are in terms of rain. I slept like a baby last night. Wish I would have waited. We have not had a lot of rain so far, but a nasty cold drizzle all day on and off. If, they were in longer I would have left them, but I was concerned that they had not rooted as of yet, so move 'em I did.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
HERBS rosemary, thyme, chives, parsley, cilantro

White impatiens and white-tipped dwarf grass
Blue delphiniums
Orange-red coleus

No vegetables this year...

Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I planted two long containers that are mounted on the railing of my balcony. The usual: nasturtiums. In a while they'll have red, orange, and yellow flowers.

Downstairs will be morning glories and I don't know what else yet.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I planted two long containers that are mounted on the railing of my balcony. The usual: nasturtiums. In a while they'll have red, orange, and yellow flowers.

Downstairs will be morning glories and I don't know what else yet.
I love nasturtiums. I went to a nursery with 12 arms of greenhouse and lost my mind and left without getting them. I have 19 containers and only one is a deck railing the others from fairly good size to huge. So I will sacrifice this year and skip it. I will pull the tags from the garage and post what I planted tomorrow. Some really neat things.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
About the only combo planting I do are herbs. I have mixed peppers a few times, but that is about it. Oh, I might get, which I did this year a few types of flowering plants that are different kinds and put in our planter hanging on our front porch railing

Old 05-13-2019, 11:26 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
The weather has been terrible in CT so I am just getting started. So far I have some herbs out. This weekend I put together my tall containers with Boston Fern, and lime green sweet potato vine. On our porch I put out two other ferns on stands solo. I also did new guinea impatiens (purple) with creeping jenny and a green grass by our lamp post and further up the walkway I have a deep purple petunia mixed with a light purple/white verbena. I have more to do, but with the sucky weather I haven't gotten to it all.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
The weather has been terrible in CT so I am just getting started. So far I have some herbs out. This weekend I put together my tall containers with Boston Fern, and lime green sweet potato vine. On our porch I put out two other ferns on stands solo. I also did new guinea impatiens (purple) with creeping jenny and a green grass by our lamp post and further up the walkway I have a deep purple petunia mixed with a light purple/white verbena. I have more to do, but with the sucky weather I haven't gotten to it all.
sounds colorful and nice: your plants that is, not your weather. .

Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
My front containers hold various types of cactus. I just bought a 24" diameter ceramic pot for my shaded front entry and am thinking of filling it with a large boston fern. We have deer roaming our neighborhood daily. finding plants they won't eat is a challenge to say the least!

My large planters in the fenced portion of my western facing backyard contain blue century plants, two smallish pride of Barbados started from seed last spring, lantanas, and a 7 foot Mexican lime tree. The western sun gets as hot as hades. by trial and error, these are the few plants that have survived 8 hours of beating sun with 100 degree temps.

I envy those of you who can plant flowers....sigh. Other than lantana, flowers become deer snacks overnight or melt in the hot afternoon sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden