U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,869 posts, read 10,553,387 times
Reputation: 7952

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I grow lots of wonderful plants- all ornamentals- in pots. I also have a very lush garden too but I've been in a wheelchair for 18 months so I'm learning to garden solely in containers. We hire the rest out. From my den window now I see begonias, phlox, roses, daylilies, balloon flowers, lots and lots of dahlias, new evergreen dogwoods, clematis, caladium,daffodils and tulips, iris, ferns, burning bush, Japanese maple, spirea, cat nip, perovskia, stokes aster, coneflower, salvia--actually anything that can be grown in the garden I can grow in containers. We are always looking for containers on sale and have lots which were given to me at the time of my accident. I have to garden any way I can.
Where there is a will there is a way. How are you coming along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Denver/Boulder Zone 5b
1,361 posts, read 3,231,813 times
Reputation: 1351
Not doing a full-on garden thread this season as I just don't have the time. But my garden and flowers are coming along nicely so far. MUCH cooler weather this year has meant less stress, but also slower growth. These photos are from last Saturday (06/15/19).

Excuse the shade cloth and random posts in the veggie garden photos. It is necessary for me to cover my garden every year due to the almost constant threat of severe weather, particularly during June and July.

Flowers include a variety of wave petunias (trailing), supertunias, superbells/calibrachoa, sedum, begonias, creeping Jenny, Mexican feather grass, dracaena and impatiens.

Vegetables include 35 tomato plants, 40 pepper plants, 4 cucumber plants, 1 squash, chard, kale, cabbage, peas, fingerling potatoes and onions.
Attached Thumbnails
What's in your containers?-img_1464.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1465.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1468.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1466.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1471.jpg  

What's in your containers?-img_1479.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1484.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1482.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1481.jpg   What's in your containers?-img_1483.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Reputation: 41755
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I grow lots of wonderful plants- all ornamentals- in pots. I also have a very lush garden too but I've been in a wheelchair for 18 months so I'm learning to garden solely in containers. We hire the rest out. From my den window now I see begonias, phlox, roses, daylilies, balloon flowers, lots and lots of dahlias, new evergreen dogwoods, clematis, caladium,daffodils and tulips, iris, ferns, burning bush, Japanese maple, spirea, cat nip, perovskia, stokes aster, coneflower, salvia--actually anything that can be grown in the garden I can grow in containers. We are always looking for containers on sale and have lots which were given to me at the time of my accident. I have to garden any way I can.
You are doing a great job, I am sure. As long as you get out and can do something is wonderful. Just seeing what can be done and being able to look out your window and knowing you are responsible for all those beautiful flowers is a wonderful thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Reputation: 41755
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Not doing a full-on garden thread this season as I just don't have the time. But my garden and flowers are coming along nicely so far. MUCH cooler weather this year has meant less stress, but also slower growth. These photos are from last Saturday (06/15/19).

Excuse the shade cloth and random posts in the veggie garden photos. It is necessary for me to cover my garden every year due to the almost constant threat of severe weather, particularly during June and July.

Flowers include a variety of wave petunias (trailing), supertunias, superbells/calibrachoa, sedum, begonias, creeping Jenny, Mexican feather grass, dracaena and impatiens.

Vegetables include 35 tomato plants, 40 pepper plants, 4 cucumber plants, 1 squash, chard, kale, cabbage, peas, fingerling potatoes and onions.
It all looks so awesome. I wish my garden was as artistic looking as yours. Mine serves it purpose but yours could be pictured in a gardening book.

Of course I do only container gardening because bad back and age together is taking its toll. The good news, after years of trying to learn good container gardening it looks like it is working. My garden is growing so well: lots of tomatoes, not very big though: cukes all over the place, peppers about ready to can, herbs for dinner every night, and probably in a few weeks I will pick some green beans. Later this summer there will be okra at least some and fall it looks like my sweet potato plant will give us lots of sweet potatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 PM
 
38,146 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Reputation: 24598
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I only have flowers in my containers. I do however grow a few veggies. Last year I tried the lazy way and it was fabulous, so much so I am doing it again this year. I bought fabric pots on Amazon and put in tomatoes, cukes, peppers, squash and a cantaloupe in each. The did fabulously.
I love those grow pots. Some are sturdier than others. Peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers... grow great in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 02:23 PM
 
38,146 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Reputation: 24598
Bought a bunch of galvanized wash tubs. Have basil in one. Lettuce in another.

Looking for things that do well in part shade -- afternoon. Seems like root type vegetables might do better.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now Rehoboth Beach, DE
7,869 posts, read 10,553,387 times
Reputation: 7952
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bought a bunch of galvanized wash tubs. Have basil in one. Lettuce in another.

Looking for things that do well in part shade -- afternoon. Seems like root type vegetables might do better.

Any suggestions?
Potatoes and all the ingredients in Spring mix will do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times
Reputation: 47257
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are doing a great job, I am sure. As long as you get out and can do something is wonderful. Just seeing what can be done and being able to look out your window and knowing you are responsible for all those beautiful flowers is a wonderful thing.
Thank you very much. While i'm not gardening as I used to or like I would want to, I am gardening to the best of my ability and I am loving the results. We have a large patio for sun-loving plants and larger covered front porch for shade plants. Our generous neighbors are keeping us supplied with fresh veggies. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Reputation: 41755
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Thank you very much. While i'm not gardening as I used to or like I would want to, I am gardening to the best of my ability and I am loving the results. We have a large patio for sun-loving plants and larger covered front porch for shade plants. Our generous neighbors are keeping us supplied with fresh veggies. It's all good.
Love your attitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,868 posts, read 14,364,134 times
Reputation: 30733
We have red begonias in the front planters. In the back I have several potted fancy leaved geraniums and two mints. I also have a big pot of herbs to supplement my regular ground planted herbs. And we have a hanging planter of some sort of many colored flowering plants I do not remember the name of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top