Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:28 PM

111 posts, read 375,594 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new home in April out here in East Mesa and it looks like the previous owners had a Sissoo tree, but removed it. However, the suckers/sprouts are still popping up all over my back yard, even in the middle of my grass.

Everyone seems to have a different answer (using RoundUp, GroundClear, salt, pulling the roots out, etc.). Will chemicals work or do I need to pull up the roots?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 01:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Seeing your post immediately called to mind this thread: Do NOT plant a Sissoo tree whatever you do!!! (popular in Phoenix area) There may be some answers there.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,075 times
Last year I had a sissoo removed from my front yard because the roots were causing damage. My HOA maintains the yard so I recently had them pay to have the landscape contractor dig out the rootball and all of the roots in the yard because they continued to grow. The cost was about $1500 and I haven't had one sign of a sucker popping back up.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,215,968 times
I was the one that started the previous thread about my nightmare Sissoo. My roots continued to grow for a year or so after I removed the tree. It would have been longer, however, every time I would get suckers I would dig deep into the ground and get as much of the root where the sucker was coming from. It eventually worked and I don't have them anymore.

So glad this mess is out of my yard. I'd like to slap the landscaping company that recommended the thing.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,954,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I was the one that started the previous thread about my nightmare Sissoo. My roots continued to grow for a year or so after I removed the tree. It would have been longer, however, every time I would get suckers I would dig deep into the ground and get as much of the root where the sucker was coming from. It eventually worked and I don't have them anymore.

So glad this mess is out of my yard. I'd like to slap the landscaping company that recommended the thing.
Same here. Stay on the suckers. I had suckers growing close to 10 inches tall in 3 days. It only lasted about a year, mainly early summer and fall. After that the tree was no more.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,336 times
We had a sissoo removed and paid to have the stump ground and chemically treated. We've had very few suckers.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Ideally you should dig up all the roots. If you can't the next best thing is to spray any visible growth with a 'glyphosate' product for example Round-Up. Glyphosate has no residual effect in the soil and only kills vegetation it is sprayed on.
Ground clear is basically Triox a 'soil sterilant' and will kill anything in it's path in the soil. It also travels with water, yours and rain, and can spread far out to other root systems. It's also active for years so be careful if you use this product.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,241 times
I am dealing with this from a Sissoo we removed last September in which they poisoned the stump and ground it down. Haven't had a ton of sprouts until this latest heat wave. Now I am getting a few new ones every few days! Even the ones I spray with Roundup are coming back or not even dying. It's a major pain. Guess I'll start digging down at each sprout and trying to pull the root up underneath.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:52 AM

2,772 posts, read 5,721,575 times
Cut down a sissoo by myself a couple of years ago. Dug a huge hole to get the root ball out. For about a year after whenever I saw a sucker, I would get the *****xe out and rip up a 6 to 15 ft 'snake'. After that, just weed killer to hit the few that showed. Haven't seen anything in over a year.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:53 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,097,636 times
This is exactly what happens with a crepe myrtle, and why I consider them to be invasive. I worked for 3 years on eradicating a couple of trees, tried everything listed above, and was only partially successful. One area, I covered with thick black plastic for a year and a half, and when I took it off, it all just sprung back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden