U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 10:30 AM

3,641 posts, read 2,048,784 times

Advertisements

We have lived at this house two years in June. The neighbors behind us have what looks like bamboo plants along the fence. The first spring/summer no shoots in our yard. Last year a handful showed up along our side of the fence. I mowed them down and that was that.

I just mowed the back yard and there were dozens of shoots in the back 1/3 of our yard. They grow incredibly fast and look just like bamboo but we live in south central Mass so I am guessing it is something else.

How do I stop this? We have a small yard and it could be overwhelmed very quickly. We had planned on putting some raised vegetable gardens back there. Is that going to make this problem worse? Ruin some of my vegetables? If I use some kind of chemical on them will it kill my lawn or contaminate any vegetable garden I plant there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 11:48 AM

7,100 posts, read 6,510,376 times
If it isn't real bamboo it's probably Japanese Knotweed, a seriously bad introduced invasive. Where I live it's a law that it must be reported to local Ag authorities when sighted anywhere and they immediately send someone out to give the plants injections of glyphosate in its roots and nodes. It must be injected, topical application doesn't get rid of the roots on knotweed and the roots is how it spreads. Look at the pictures of Japanese Knotweed below and see if that's the same as what you have in your yard. If it is the same thing do some further research about what your local Ag requirements are in reporting or eliminating it.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=japan...w=1120&bih=583

Old 05-08-2019, 12:17 PM

I am not sure but I don't think that is it. I took a couple pictures. Maybe someone else can tell better then me.

One growing up against my side of the fence.

Some of the ones on their side.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:35 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,835,734 times
magicshark,
Yep. That is certainly bamboo.
Every time you cut it down, it won't grow back there.
If you want a veggie garden, you will have to dig whatever spread to your yard up.
Get a shovel, try to remember where the shoots were that you mowed over and dig.
Bamboo does not root very deep, you can see the roots and pull them up.
You can also stop them from spreading into your yard by installing a barrier, they sell
it online, against your side of the fence.
I have heard some people use roofing material and swear by it, you might want to look at that also.
You can complain to your neighbor, and will probably be ignored, or you can nip this one
right away yourself so you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Good Luck.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:46 PM

1,678 posts, read 552,918 times
Some of this is dried up and some, like in the upper right corner, looks like buds.

The green shows the usual bamboo rings. The brown trunks and greenery I can't enlarge enough look like regular ol' 'murican trees.

One difference between the actual bamboo and Japanese Knotwood is the knotwood leaves are shorter and wide. The bamboo leaves are long and very slender.

Can you ask your neighbor what it is?

Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM

7,100 posts, read 6,510,376 times
Yes, that's real bamboo, not a look-alike. Do what Butterfly4u said.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 29 days ago)

17,994 posts, read 8,124,038 times
Me three. That's real bamboo.

Bamboos are a huge group of grasses, and plenty of them are temperate zone species.

I think you should talk to your neighbors, and see if they won't help you with putting in a barrier between your yards. Because you can bet that unless they intend to grow a bamboo forest, they are also dealing somehow with containing it on their side.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 PM

39,404 posts, read 47,463,862 times
Yes bamboo, dig it up, don't cut it down. Cutting it will only encourage more underground rhizome's that will eventually pop up all over the yard.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:16 AM

5,708 posts, read 4,125,099 times
After you cut it down, tie it in a few bundles and put them on your curb with a FREE TO TAKE sign.

Gardeners pay money for those to hold up their tomatoes, peas, beans and other climbing plants.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:34 AM

Thank you everyone! You have all been a big help. I will be out back today with my little shovel. I will also be researching the barriers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or