U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:56 PM

802 posts, read 436,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
OP, all plants have both toxic and non-toxic properties to varying degrees. Possible ways to be effected are through oral ingestion, transdermal absorption and through breathing in the scent molecules. When I come across or hear about a plant that I'm not familiar with but am interested in possibly growing, the first thing I do is go online to research its chemical constituencies and potential for toxicity and the means by which its toxic properties may be passed on to me. Then I decide whether or not it's something I want to grow.

You asked about Morning Glory. Many sites will say that it's only the seeds that are toxic but that's not entirely true and some individuals may be highly reactive to them from handling the plants with bare hands and arms or from extended breathing in of the scents. Read this horticulturist's story about her and her garden work partner's unexpected and unpleasant experiences from handling morning glory plants while working in the garden one day: https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-...-morning-glory

She also briefly mentions Brugmansia (the spectacular Angel Trumpet) in that article but what she didn't mention is that for some individuals inhaling the scent molecules of very large, older specimens of Brugmansia (and some other species of daturas) in full bloom may cause euphoria and dizziness at the least and in worse case scenarios may cause severe intoxication, paranoia, violent hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, seizures and unconsciousness. That's just from hanging around smelling them.

I don't have enough time right now to address some of the other questions you asked but I'm posting a couple of other websites you may find interesting. The first one is from the University of California and it has some fairly comprehensive lists of both toxic and non-toxic garden plants that are commonly found in people's gardens. Check it out then do some extensive research on your own about individual plants that you are interested in: https://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_sa...mmon_Name_659/

This next one is called The Poison Garden - he has a shorter listing of poisonous plants (at the bottom of the page) but he also has some interesting reports to tell about the personal experiences of himself and acquaintances told from a more personal point of view, as well as clinical level:
THE POISON GARDEN website

Thank u very much for the great links, some have reassuring!

I think the story about morning glory, made me very hesitant to plant it in a pot. I'm not thinking of myself to be affected, I don't really think that I'm gonna be affected, but I'm thinking of others who could touch the plants with bare hands and smell it. I noticed that the first thing a person do when he/she take a flowers is to smell it, I'm also like that.

It's interesting to read that after all what they had experienced, they stated

Quote:
I have not removed my Ipomaea violacea because they are such exquisitely beautiful plants. But rest assured I now afford them a great deal of respect after learning the hard way that morning glories can indeed become a real nightmare.
It seems the power of beauty overcomes anything else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Lots of common garden plants are poisonous. I have tons of them in my garden and always have. Other than poison ivy, etc., you really don't have to worry about this unless you tend to chew on your daffodils, foxgloves, oleander, buttercups, wisteria, and hydrangeas, etc. I'd watch toddlers around plants, but you have to watch them anyway.

Even potatoes can be poisonous.
Thank you very much for your comment.

Regarding the first part: you stated that you have tons of them in your garden, I'd like to know if you've ever planted vegetables or fruits trees beside poisonous trees such as oleander, foxgloves...etc Could that affect on the fruits of the other trees?

In relations to the second part: this is not the first time actually that I read/heard such info, but why? Is it because of the potatoes leaves? or you mean the potatoes itself, for some reason, can be poisonous?

Old 05-23-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I received a packet of seeds for native Everglade tomatoes today and a note was included about germination times along with a caution that tomato vegetation is poisonous since it’s part of the nightshade family. :/

I’m out digging up air potato vine tubers every morning. It’s a beautiful vine with huge heart shaped leaves and another Class 1 invasive, it can grow 8 inches in a day. I found more Rosary Peas (Arbus precatorius) on the ground while digging, they are such a bright red it’s hard to miss them and I pulled some seedlings. I haven’t found the mother plant yet. Apparently birds and animals eat them without any bad effects. The outer shell is hard and not easy to pierce, so it goes in one end and out the other, reseeding themselves.

Here’s a pic of one I saw on an eco walk at a local preserve with an educator last month. That’s where I first learned about them. The top, center pea shows the black end with red body, it looks like a ladybug. So pretty and so deadly.

There is a similar seed that is only poisonous if eaten, Ormosia Coccinea, and I’ve seen bracelets and necklaces on Etsy made with them. They are a slightly larger seed and not quite as toxic, but why take a chance?

Attachment 211049
Thanks for your comment.
It's good to find a note about that on the packet; the small packet I have doesn't have any note. I got all the info and notes from searching and reading online.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:00 PM

564 posts, read 149,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Hi guys!

How are u?

I want to ask gardeners and experts here about some common types of flowers. Especially that after reading and seeing the photos in the forum, I found too many posters grow almost all types of famous flowers and I didn't see anyone stated or spoke about "poisonous plants that include even pretty wonderful flowers".

1- Petunia Dwarf Compact RED STAR (Petunia hybrida compacta nana)
Is this a plant completely non-poisonous?
I've read that there is a type of it considered poisonous but it wasn't mentioned which type to avoid. Do you have an idea?

2- Ipomea Choice Mixied (Ipomea) Another name is called Morning Glory
I found it listed in the main poisonous plants when eat for animals. How about humans?
- What about to touch, to smell the plant; is it poisonous for humans?
I also read that most of its common types are not poisonous, only a few of it but which type and how to distinguish between them, not mentioned.

3- Periwinkle; other names: Catharanthus rosea, formely Vinca rosea
It's stated that all parts of this plant are poisonous and it has medical uses, too.

Since all parts of this plant are poisonous, I wonder if there is an effect (I mean negative or harmful effect) could happen if we plant a poisonous plant on the soil.
-Do we need, for instance, to avoid placing or growing poisonous plants such as flowers around non-poisonous plants?

4- snapdragon
Is this plants poisonous for humans? If so, which part?

5-Lantana camara
The same question.

Thank you
Who are you trying to poison? Do you want them to suffer? The most poisonous are not even on your list...
P.S.
Just kidding

Old 05-24-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Who are you trying to poison? Do you want them to suffer? The most poisonous are not even on your list...
P.S.
Just kidding

Do you think that's exaggeration?

I was asking to avoid growing antything could affect or harm others; I'm not selfish.
people in my reality think that I'm exaggerated. But after reading here, I don't think so. Read the story of the couples who have morning glory, you will find it in the posters' responses.

Originally I was looking to plant flowers from seeds, when I went online to read about the method, I discovered that they are poisonous. Then, I started searcheing about this topic to find out that there are other common flower trees that people usually plant and classified as the most toxicity, too.
Even those flowers names I listed above, I found some of them classified with class (1)
Read what stated in this source.

https://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_sa...ific_Name_685/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or