Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:45 AM

859 posts, read 699,024 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

How are u?

I want to ask gardeners and experts here about some common types of flowers. Especially that after reading and seeing the photos in the forum, I found too many posters grow almost all types of famous flowers and I didn't see anyone stated or spoke about "poisonous plants that include even pretty wonderful flowers".

1- Petunia Dwarf Compact RED STAR (Petunia hybrida compacta nana)
Is this a plant completely non-poisonous?
I've read that there is a type of it considered poisonous but it wasn't mentioned which type to avoid. Do you have an idea?

2- Ipomea Choice Mixied (Ipomea) Another name is called Morning Glory
I found it listed in the main poisonous plants when eat for animals. How about humans?
- What about to touch, to smell the plant; is it poisonous for humans?
I also read that most of its common types are not poisonous, only a few of it but which type and how to distinguish between them, not mentioned.

3- Periwinkle; other names: Catharanthus rosea, formely Vinca rosea
It's stated that all parts of this plant are poisonous and it has medical uses, too.

Since all parts of this plant are poisonous, I wonder if there is an effect (I mean negative or harmful effect) could happen if we plant a poisonous plant on the soil.
-Do we need, for instance, to avoid placing or growing poisonous plants such as flowers around non-poisonous plants?

4- snapdragon
Is this plants poisonous for humans? If so, which part?

5-Lantana camara
The same question.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM

7,116 posts, read 3,944,278 times
First, there are links such as https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...ogs-plant-list

I understand not growing plants that are poisonous to pets. Obviously, we don't want our dogs eating something that hurts them.

Children should be supervised and taught not to eat any plant growing outside.

I always assume a plant is poisonous unless I explicitly know it isn't.

Edible Flower Guide Chart

Edible Flower* Tastes Like… Which parts are edible? Best eaten with / in

Calendula Peppery/citrus tang Petals Salads, stir-fries, coleslaw, biscuits, pasta dishes
Carnation Peppery/clove-like Petals Salads, meat dishes, desserts e.g. cheesecakes
French Marigold*Citrus Petals & leaves Salads, stir-fries, biscuits
Hollyhock Mild marshmallow Petals, leaves & roots Garnish, salad dressings, fish dishes
Lavender*** Mild sweetness Flowers Biscuits, herbal tea, cakes, creme brulee, ice cream
Nasturtium Peppery/watercress Whole flower & leaves . Salads, stir-fries, curries, pasta dishes, meat dishes
Pansy Lettuce Whole Flower Garnish, salads, sandwiches, cake decorations, fruit salads
Poppy** Nutty Seeds only Bread, biscuits, cakes
Sunflower Nutty Buds, petals & seeds Bread, biscuits, cakes
Viola Mild sweetness Whole flower Garnish, salads, sandwiches, cake decorations

* Should only be eaten in moderation and DO NO EAT AFRICAN MARIGOLDS
** Only eat the seeds, THE REST OF THE FLOWER IS POISONOUS
*** Lavender is very strong, only a tablespoon is needed to add flavour

Note: If you have asthma or severe allergies take caution when eating edible flowers and try a small amount before adding to recipes. https://hub.suttons.co.uk/gardening-...-flowers-guide

Fourth, poisonous plants don't affect the soil. Some plants cause rashes, like castor bean plant or poison ivy. If you burn poison ivy and breathe in its fumes, you can get poison ivy in your lungs.

Plant whatever you want. Just don't eat it.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:59 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
OP, all plants have both toxic and non-toxic properties to varying degrees. Possible ways to be effected are through oral ingestion, transdermal absorption and through breathing in the scent molecules. When I come across or hear about a plant that I'm not familiar with but am interested in possibly growing, the first thing I do is go online to research its chemical constituencies and potential for toxicity and the means by which its toxic properties may be passed on to me. Then I decide whether or not it's something I want to grow.

You asked about Morning Glory. Many sites will say that it's only the seeds that are toxic but that's not entirely true and some individuals may be highly reactive to them from handling the plants with bare hands and arms or from extended breathing in of the scents. Read this horticulturist's story about her and her garden work partner's unexpected and unpleasant experiences from handling morning glory plants while working in the garden one day: https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-...-morning-glory

She also briefly mentions Brugmansia (the spectacular Angel Trumpet) in that article but what she didn't mention is that for some individuals inhaling the scent molecules of very large, older specimens of Brugmansia (and some other species of daturas) in full bloom may cause euphoria and dizziness at the least and in worse case scenarios may cause severe intoxication, paranoia, violent hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, seizures and unconsciousness. That's just from hanging around smelling them.

I don't have enough time right now to address some of the other questions you asked but I'm posting a couple of other websites you may find interesting. The first one is from the University of California and it has some fairly comprehensive lists of both toxic and non-toxic garden plants that are commonly found in people's gardens. Check it out then do some extensive research on your own about individual plants that you are interested in: https://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_sa...mmon_Name_659/

This next one is called The Poison Garden - he has a shorter listing of poisonous plants (at the bottom of the page) but he also has some interesting reports to tell about the personal experiences of himself and acquaintances told from a more personal point of view, as well as clinical level:
THE POISON GARDEN website

Old 05-17-2019, 02:42 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,708,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
OP, all plants have both toxic and non-toxic properties to varying degrees. Possible ways to be effected are through oral ingestion, transdermal absorption and through breathing in the scent molecules. When I come across or hear about a plant that I'm not familiar with but am interested in possibly growing, the first thing I do is go online to research its chemical constituencies and potential for toxicity and the means by which its toxic properties may be passed on to me. Then I decide whether or not it's something I want to grow.

You asked about Morning Glory. Many sites will say that it's only the seeds that are toxic but that's not entirely true and some individuals may be highly reactive to them from handling the plants with bare hands and arms or from extended breathing in of the scents. Read this horticulturist's story about her and her garden work partner's unexpected and unpleasant experiences from handling morning glory plants while working in the garden one day: https://www.hgtv.com/design/outdoor-...-morning-glory

She also briefly mentions Brugmansia (the spectacular Angel Trumpet) in that article but what she didn't mention is that for some individuals inhaling the scent molecules of very large, older specimens of Brugmansia (and some other species of daturas) in full bloom may cause euphoria and dizziness at the least and in worse case scenarios may cause severe intoxication, paranoia, violent hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, seizures and unconsciousness. That's just from hanging around smelling them.

I don't have enough time right now to address some of the other questions you asked but I'm posting a couple of other websites you may find interesting. The first one is from the University of California and it has some fairly comprehensive lists of both toxic and non-toxic garden plants that are commonly found in people's gardens. Check it out then do some extensive research on your own about individual plants that you are interested in: https://ucanr.edu/sites/poisonous_sa...mmon_Name_659/

This next one is called The Poison Garden - he has a shorter listing of poisonous plants (at the bottom of the page) but he also has some interesting reports to tell about the personal experiences of himself and acquaintances told from a more personal point of view, as well as clinical level:
THE POISON GARDEN website

Great links and really good reads. I knew about Morning glory seeds but not problems with the sap.

I’ve been clearing out an empty lot and almost everything I come in contact is poisonous in some way. Virginia creeper I was pulling out contains urushiol like poison ivy, but to a lesser degree. Poison hemlock look like carrot tops. The pretty little red and black lady bug seeds I was finding are from rosary pea vine and are the one of the top three plant poisons.

I have native wild poinsettias all over too and learned they have toxicity. I post pics on a FB group helping me to identify native and non-native plants. I’ve learned a lot and basically view every plant as a a problem until I identify and learn about it. Natives stay and most non-natives go but there are exceptions. The wild poinsettias are staying, but the rosary pea vine is being pulled every time I find it, I don’t care if it’s native. My non-native Cardboard Palm in a pot with it’s beautiful stalk of red seed berries in the spring went too when I learned a few of the the seeds would easily take out a dog’s kidney and liver if ingested. Some plants are not worth having around.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-17-2019 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,943,362 times
Lots of common garden plants are poisonous. I have tons of them in my garden and always have. Other than poison ivy, etc., you really don't have to worry about this unless you tend to chew on your daffodils, foxgloves, oleander, buttercups, wisteria, and hydrangeas, etc. I'd watch toddlers around plants, but you have to watch them anyway.

Even potatoes can be poisonous.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Great links and really good reads. I knew about Morning glory seeds but not problems with the sap.

I’ve been clearing out an empty lot and almost everything I come in contact is poisonous in some way. Virginia creeper I was pulling out contains urushiol like poison ivy, but to a lesser degree. Poison hemlock look like carrot tops. The pretty little red and black lady bug seeds I was finding are from rosary pea vine and are the one of the top three plant poisons.

I have native wild poinsettias all over too and learned they have toxicity. I post pics on a FB group helping me to identify native and non-native plants. I’ve learned a lot and basically view every plant as a a problem until I identify and learn about it. Natives stay and most non-natives go but there are exceptions. The wild poinsettias are staying, but the rosary pea vine is being pulled every time I find it, I don’t care if it’s native. My non-native Cardboard Palm in a pot with it’s beautiful stalk of red seed berries in the spring went too when I learned a few of the the seeds would easily take out a dog’s kidney and liver if ingested. Some plants are not worth having around.
I need to correct my statement that rosary peas are native, they are not and are in fact a Class 1 invasive in FL.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:29 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I need to correct my statement that rosary peas are native, they are not and are in fact a Class 1 invasive in FL.

I was reading up about those rosary peas, they are a real humdinger, eh? Apparently their poisoning symptoms are identical to those of ricin, except the toxin abrin in them is more toxic by almost two orders of magnitude and a fatal dose of abrin is approximately 1/75th that of a fatal dose of ricin. Scary stuff!

Old 05-18-2019, 02:59 PM

7,116 posts, read 3,944,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I was reading up about those rosary peas, they are a real humdinger, eh? Apparently their poisoning symptoms are identical to those of ricin, except the toxin abrin in them is more toxic by almost two orders of magnitude and a fatal dose of abrin is approximately 1/75th that of a fatal dose of ricin. Scary stuff!
Glad they don't live in my zone! Poison ivy is a big enough pain, but nothing like rosary peas!

American mistletoe (Phoradendron serotinum), and European mistletoe (Viscum album) are also poisonous.

Nearby me, a woman ate a white round mushroom growing out of the ground. It was poisonous. Evidentially, poisonous mushroom don't kill right away. She was in the hospital for three days before she died.

"Officials say 61-year-old Zoila Tapia, of White Plains, was walking in the woods behind the rest stop on July 6 when she stumbled across the mushrooms. Less than 24 hours after eating the mushrooms, Tapia experienced nausea, diarrhea and stomach pains.Authorities say her death could have been avoided with penicillin or other medications, however, they say she sought help too late. The state Department of Transportation maintains that all of the killer mushrooms have been removed from the area."

Also

A woman celebrating her husband’s birthday at a ritzy Michelin-starred restaurant in Spain died after eating mushrooms that can be poisonous if not cooked properly. https://nypost.com/2019/02/21/woman-...ed-restaurant/

Old 05-18-2019, 03:43 PM

I received a packet of seeds for native Everglade tomatoes today and a note was included about germination times along with a caution that tomato vegetation is poisonous since it’s part of the nightshade family. :/

I’m out digging up air potato vine tubers every morning. It’s a beautiful vine with huge heart shaped leaves and another Class 1 invasive, it can grow 8 inches in a day. I found more Rosary Peas (Arbus precatorius) on the ground while digging, they are such a bright red it’s hard to miss them and I pulled some seedlings. I haven’t found the mother plant yet. Apparently birds and animals eat them without any bad effects. The outer shell is hard and not easy to pierce, so it goes in one end and out the other, reseeding themselves.

Here’s a pic of one I saw on an eco walk at a local preserve with an educator last month. That’s where I first learned about them. The top, center pea shows the black end with red body, it looks like a ladybug. So pretty and so deadly.

There is a similar seed that is only poisonous if eaten, Ormosia Coccinea, and I’ve seen bracelets and necklaces on Etsy made with them. They are a slightly larger seed and not quite as toxic, but why take a chance?

Attachment 211049

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 06:17 PM

859 posts, read 699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
First, there are links such as https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...ogs-plant-list

I understand not growing plants that are poisonous to pets. Obviously, we don't want our dogs eating something that hurts them.

Children should be supervised and taught not to eat any plant growing outside.

I always assume a plant is poisonous unless I explicitly know it isn't.

Edible Flower Guide Chart

Edible Flower* Tastes Like… Which parts are edible? Best eaten with / in

Calendula Peppery/citrus tang Petals Salads, stir-fries, coleslaw, biscuits, pasta dishes
Carnation Peppery/clove-like Petals Salads, meat dishes, desserts e.g. cheesecakes
French Marigold*Citrus Petals & leaves Salads, stir-fries, biscuits
Hollyhock Mild marshmallow Petals, leaves & roots Garnish, salad dressings, fish dishes
Lavender*** Mild sweetness Flowers Biscuits, herbal tea, cakes, creme brulee, ice cream
Nasturtium Peppery/watercress Whole flower & leaves . Salads, stir-fries, curries, pasta dishes, meat dishes
Pansy Lettuce Whole Flower Garnish, salads, sandwiches, cake decorations, fruit salads
Poppy** Nutty Seeds only Bread, biscuits, cakes
Sunflower Nutty Buds, petals & seeds Bread, biscuits, cakes
Viola Mild sweetness Whole flower Garnish, salads, sandwiches, cake decorations

* Should only be eaten in moderation and DO NO EAT AFRICAN MARIGOLDS
** Only eat the seeds, THE REST OF THE FLOWER IS POISONOUS
*** Lavender is very strong, only a tablespoon is needed to add flavour

Note: If you have asthma or severe allergies take caution when eating edible flowers and try a small amount before adding to recipes. https://hub.suttons.co.uk/gardening-...-flowers-guide

Fourth, poisonous plants don't affect the soil. Some plants cause rashes, like castor bean plant or poison ivy. If you burn poison ivy and breathe in its fumes, you can get poison ivy in your lungs.

Plant whatever you want. Just don't eat it.
Thank you very much for your response & links!
I thought I might take this topic a little bit over but after reading some of the stories that stated in the posters' responses with links, I don't think so.
Regarding the first link you provided, I noticed that they gave a list of the toxic/non toxic plants for dogs, so does that mean that those plants would be safe for humans?

My concern is NOT ONLY about eating issue since I know people in normal situation not think/consider to eat flowers or leaves of flowers trees.

People usually eat the types of the plants/leaves/flowers they used to eat.
But, when there is a flowers tree, for instance, that gives fruits, or what looks like fruits for others, then YES people could think to try it without thinking of the possibility to be poisonous. Because fruits are something known to be eaten in humans' mind. I've never thought of the common flowers trees as poisonous until I searched online and found them in the list; they are really many actually.

I'm concerned about touching such plants with bare hands, and smelling their scent constantly by humans due to being existed at a place, whether or not could cause harm or even being fatal slowly. When I google this topic " poisonous flower plants" in both sources English and my language, I found creepy titles like "Death in beauty" or "fatal trees", "suicide tree"....etc.
After reading some stories here, I don't think there is exaggeration.

I was thinking to plant some types in just a pot, but I'm hesitant after reading though.

* In relation to what I colored in red, I just want to clarify what I meant of my previous wondering.
Imagine that there is any type of the flowers trees that classified as poisonous. All of its parts is poisonous including flowers; At the same time, its flowers & leaves are covering the ground (soil). Wouldn't that affect the soil? Especially with water the soil. knowing that plants take their nutrition & minerals from absorbing process from soil by their roots.

* In relation to the second part, do you have idea whether or not that applied on all other poisonous plants?

Thanks again

Thanks for all posters who wrote a comment in my thread, I read all of your responses but I might not be able to reply on all of you at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden