U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 PM

33,831 posts, read 41,883,302 times

Advertisements

It looks like you have the beginnings of a decent Hosta bed, especially if you trim those azaleas back a bit. The Irises in the right front corner look like they need dividing.

Seriously, get a good gardening book. There are hundreds out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 AM

930 posts, read 277,403 times
Get a pruning book too.

When you prune bushes, don't cut the tops off. Instead, look for the longest branches. Follow that branch down to the ground. Cut that branch at ground level. Keep cutting the longest branches but not more than a third.

Bushes have growth systems. Hollies take hard pruning and can be cut anyway. Most bushes can't be hard pruned. Forsythia, for instead, if cut on top, produces less flowers over time.

"How to Prune Azaleas
In most landscapes, azaleas look best when minimally pruned, allowing them to retain their naturally graceful form. Remove long stray shoots by reaching down into the plant and making cuts next to larger woody branches. This allows sunlight and air movement in the center of the shrub, which promotes healthy new growth.

Major Azalea Pruning
When azaleas grow too big for their surroundings, they may need to be pruned drastically. You can cut overgrown plants down to about 1 foot in height. Then feed them with a slow-release, water-soluble fertilizer (12-6-6). Frequently water the plants you cut back to encourage a flush of suckers from the stumps. The following spring, the shrubs should be covered with lots of new growth. Reduce the number of shoots per stump to two or three, leaving only the strongest and best placed ones."

https://www.southernliving.com/home-...a-pruning-tips

Old 05-21-2019, 08:53 AM

14,738 posts, read 31,167,632 times
I have all of those. The white one looks like ‘Delaware Valley’, and the other two are what I call Fashion azaleas. Honestly, it’s hard to kill them, I have cut mine completely to the ground with a chainsaw and they come right back.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 AM
80s 80s started this thread

10 posts, read 4,848 times
Thanks all, We bought this house 2 years ago, lot's of mature landscaping. We've been moving and thinning a lot of Areas Large Hostas and Rhodies everywhere.

Good to know I can trim back the Azaleas significantly without killing them. I think their beautiful, just overgrown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or