Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 01:06 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new grass trimmer. Ours is smoking from the engine. It doesn't seem worth it to fix it. Maybe just give it away. I believe most/all trimmers need a mix of oil and gas. Home Depot sells this pre-mixed but it seems expensive. I suppose we could just buy another gas can and use that for mixing oil and gas. Or would you recommend just buying the pre mixed fuel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Just use another gas can solely for gas/oil mix and mix it yourself. It's easy to do. There's no sense in paying sky-high prices for pre-mixed.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:00 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Any chain store and Walmart sell 2 cycle oil with metering attachment. Very easy to use. Get a gallon can for gas, mark it as for 2 cycle engine only, and that's it.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
There are 4 cycle trimmers....here

Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
What is a 4 cycle trimmer and why do I care? Thanks.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What is a 4 cycle trimmer and why do I care? Thanks.
A 4 cycle engine does not need to have oil and gas mixed. Put in the gas, check the oil in the engine, just like a car.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 PM

577 posts, read 494,494 times
Just remember to not mix to much 50:1 oil gas mix as once it gets over a month old, it looses some performance and if it gets much older it gets "gummy". Bad news.

Portable battery lawn tools are not for everyone due to their lawn size, but I stop breathing two cycle fumes back in 2013 when I bought a B&D 36 volt string trimmer, blower, and hedger. I'll never go back to two cycle for lawn care other than my 4 cycle gas self propelled mower. And when they get electric mowers/batteries down pat, it may even find a new home.

I have worked the blazes out of all of my battery B&D tools especially the trimmer. And today they all still work well and I have only lost one of the original 3 lithium batteries not holding a charge. Not bad at all, while not dealing with smoke and gas/oil mix. I still have a Stihl chainsaw and Stihl Yardboss MM55 mini tiller though, to get my oil /gas fumes from. JMO

P. S. And be careful of buying four cycle string trimmers. Once a person is in the habit of turning their 2 cycle trimmer up sidewise to edge with it, it is a hard habit to break. Turn a 4 cycle trimmer up on its side for long time and one will lose oil circulation= a shot motor. Hmmm, now how would I know that one ? I bought one many years ago and trashed it using it on its side for too long.

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-22-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Better off buying the pre-mixed fuel since it has no ethanol and also has fuel stabilization added in. Yes, you can mix your own for a few less pennies but the 2 cycle engines, especially mine, love and run great on the pre-mixed.

If your looking to go electric, which I plan to do eventually, it seems the EGO is the best by far. It also has the automatic wind system.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:42 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

I had one, and it worked okay, but here's my warning on it (I learned the hard way). They take an INCREDIBLY TINY amount of oil. When an engine needs an incredibly tiny amount of oil, it seizes if it burns or leaks an UNBELIEVABLY TINY amount of oil. You have to watch the oil level with a precision eye. Personally, I prefer to mix the oil and gas together and not worry about it.

We do 99% of our trimming with a Ryobi cordless trimmer. It runs a good 20 minutes on a lithium battery. It's not for removing jungle but it does fine on 99% of the things we need it to work on. It's also the only trimmer that's light enough for my wife to use.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:49 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I had one, and it worked okay, but here's my warning on it (I learned the hard way). They take an INCREDIBLY TINY amount of oil. When an engine needs an incredibly tiny amount of oil, it seizes if it burns or leaks an UNBELIEVABLY TINY amount of oil. You have to watch the oil level with a precision eye. Personally, I prefer to mix the oil and gas together and not worry about it.

We do 99% of our trimming with a Ryobi cordless trimmer. It runs a good 20 minutes on a lithium battery. It's not for removing jungle but it does fine on 99% of the things we need it to work on. It's also the only trimmer that's light enough for my wife to use.
I use a Black and Decker cordless electric with a 20 volt lithium battery that I bought at a big box store for $90-100 four or five years ago.

I use it for trimming sidewalks, shrubbery and fence on our 5000 sq ft lawn after most mows, usually 20-30 minutes of actual trimming on the battery each time. Never had an issue with it for that kind of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden