U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 AM

2,717 posts, read 908,772 times

Advertisements

I am having a problem deciding which pesticide to use
to control crawling bugs in around my house. I need
to control them, not only in the grass, but in a wooded
area adjacent to my small yard.

I have found some information on pyrethrin 10%, and
some on Bifenthrin 7.9%, but can't find any side by side
comparisons, on effectiveness and longevity vs toxicity
of each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,510 posts, read 54,051,619 times
As long as it's dry season, try Diatomaceous Earth. It's not harmful to humans or pets, and is not expensive. I use it in and around my greenhouse to kill beetles and sowbugs. It just has to remain dry to work, so you have to re-apply if it rains.

https://richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

Old 05-24-2019, 01:26 PM

"Has to remain dry"
Yeah, that is one of the reasons it wasn't one of the choices.
Rains here, every two days.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:29 PM

23,969 posts, read 30,093,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
"Has to remain dry"
Yeah, that is one of the reasons it wasn't one of the choices.
Rains here, every two days.
yeah having to reapply after every rain would be torture.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM

17,743 posts, read 53,869,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I am having a problem deciding which pesticide to use
to control crawling bugs in around my house. I need
to control them, not only in the grass, but in a wooded
area adjacent to my small yard.

I have found some information on pyrethrin 10%, and
some on Bifenthrin 7.9%, but can't find any side by side
comparisons, on effectiveness and longevity vs toxicity
of each.
Pyrethrins are typically used in pest control to get the bugs moving and in contact with other pesticides. Yes, they kill, but other stuff may be more effective. Be aware that pyrethrins can be deadly to cats.

Bifenthrin is used as an exterior barrier spray on homes to kill and dissuade Asian ladybugs. In that use it is somewhat protected from the weather by eaves, clapboards, etc.. I have found it to be quite effective, although I sometimes give it a malathion kick if the clouds of bugs are heavy.

A better choice for your purposes might be Bayer carpenter ant and termite killer. Hose end sprayer, a couple oz. per gallon or as per container.

DE doesn't really need to be re-applied when wetted. The sharpness remains unless mixed with mud or silt. Boron containing compounds - boric acid, borax - work well indoors and in crawl spaces and basements. It if minimally toxic compared to pesticides and lasts forever. It can be used outside, but it may have effects on some plants.

As for woods? Fuggedaboudit. The ecosystem goes too deep and is too entrenched for you to be effective. Be careful with the insecticides and encourage frogs and skinks. A solar light or two in a relatively sunny spot with a nearby hidey hole can make a nice buffet for a frog. Traps also work for some bugs.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:43 PM

1,668 posts, read 2,041,160 times
"DE doesn't really need to be re-applied when wetted."

DE becomes ineffective when wet, but becomes effective again when it dries out. In our experience, DE is most effective at preventing bug problems from forming, however it is ineffective at controlling active infestations. For example, putting DE in chicken nests will delay the onset of hens getting mites if they are present in the wild bird populations, but it will not prevent it from happening eventually, and it will not treat an active infestation. The most effective treatment for any type of bug problem is a nice hard winter, something we don't get in the tropics. DE can be a good method of bug control of soft-bodied insects, especially if it can prevent an infestation until the seasons change.

The OP didn't mention what bug they were trying to control. Sometimes bait poisons are the most effective and don't have collateral damage.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:41 PM

2,408 posts, read 3,054,437 times
Bifenthrin...33 pages

Pyrethrin....8 pages

Hope that helps

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-25-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The OP didn't mention what bug they were trying to control. Sometimes bait poisons are the most effective and don't have collateral damage.
A number of them, really. Ticks and Chiggars right now,
but where I am will present me with a "target rich environment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Bifenthrin...33 pages

Pyrethrin....8 pages

Hope that helps

Regards
Gemstone1
Yes, it does.
Even though I have the product labels, it is much easier to read them in PDF format
Page 19 was an eye opener.
Thanks.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:57 AM

6,484 posts, read 7,860,154 times
Please note that ticks and chiggers are not insects. They are more related to spiders.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:38 AM

17,743 posts, read 53,869,694 times
You get rid of ticks by removing or protecting the host animals in the area. Spraying is a stop-gap. If you have wild rabbits, mice, groundhogs, deer, even if you spray they'll just relocate a fresh batch.

Read this as a primer:
https://www.consumerreports.org/pest...-of-your-yard/

This shows how to avoid paying $50/baitbox by making your own.
A better tick-control trap: Modified bait tube controls disease-carrying ticks and fleas - California Agriculture - University of California, Agriculture and Natural Resources

The odd part of this technique is that the resident rodents become a critical part of the solution. Simply killing the rodents opens the area to other incoming populations that are infested. If you want to go that route, you might need a semi-feral cat with tick and flea protection.

Chiggers generally are localized. Simply covering up when entering or working in those areas is easiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or