U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 01:28 PM

302 posts, read 635,037 times

Advertisements

My daylilies are now blooming before the stem reaches a higher level. These all had tall stems the first 2 years now they seem to bloom at the base. Can anyone tell me why?
Attached Thumbnails
Daylily stems-20190616_122940.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 02:52 PM

7,216 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Short stems are an indication of something different happening that doesn't usually happen with the local winter climate during the daylilies winter hibernation and spring awakening. The daylilies will compensate for the climate difference by producing shorter stems - it's a survival thing that they do to save energy. It won't hurt them and it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. They are just taking care of themselves.

So think back - What happened in your location with the weather and climate this past winter and early spring that was different from what you usually get during winters in your location? Did you get more or less rain than usual? Did rain (or snow) last longer into spring than usual? Did you get colder or hotter or longer or shorter lasting hot/cold temperatures than usual during winter or spring? What other climate happenings can you think of that may have been quite different from usual?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 PM

7,865 posts, read 10,545,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Short stems are an indication of something different happening that doesn't usually happen with the local winter climate during the daylilies winter hibernation and spring awakening. The daylilies will compensate for the climate difference by producing shorter stems - it's a survival thing that they do to save energy. It won't hurt them and it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. They are just taking care of themselves.

So think back - What happened in your location with the weather and climate this past winter and early spring that was different from what you usually get during winters in your location? Did you get more or less rain than usual? Did rain (or snow) last longer into spring than usual? Did you get colder or hotter or longer or shorter lasting hot/cold temperatures than usual during winter or spring? What other climate happenings can you think of that may have been quite different from usual?

A master gardener explained it this way, "imagine it is like a plant is pulling the covers over its' head." It is done to protect the plant for the reasons you stated.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Thanks! Spring and early summer weather was quite dramatic from chilly to very hot days. Nice analogy of pulling the covers over its head. Hahaha! I assume then as the summer progresses the subsequent stems may get higher once again.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Mine always look pretty much like that. Flowers are nicely visible but do not extend above the foliage.

Since mine are vigorous and healthy, I assume it is not damaging to the plant.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Mine always look pretty much like that. Flowers are nicely visible but do not extend above the foliage. Since mine are vigorous and healthy, I assume it is not damaging to the plant.
Could be the variety? I think some varieties are lower flowering. This one always had very high stems.

I'm getting something eating my flowers now...have to spray. Dont know what is eating the flowers only.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:12 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Do mean insects? In my yard it would be the groundhog.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,341,059 times
Insects in the USA have very little interest ion daylilies, which come from Asia. But the flowers are edible for people too and you might check for happy little slugs,or Japanese beetles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden