Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 11:33 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
Looks good, Non, and thank you! I love the Sweet Banana plants - always so productive and so delicious pickled! I use them on sandwiches and cheeseburgers. Mmmmmm!!!! The Ancho San Luis I'm growing is basically just another variant of Poblano - I'll never be without those. HOMEMADE CHILES RELLENOS, HERE I COME! Always one of the first garden dishes I make every season since the peppers always come in before the tomatoes.

I have two Celebrities in my garden, as well. They are in the ground and don't generally produce as much as the containers, but I love the size and flavor. It was a good all-around tomato last season!

Don't you also love re-growing green onions? It's so easy and you get lost of free green onions in the process! Mine are starting to bulb up now, so I will plan to harvest soon and then grill them with some chicken or beef.

Thanks, Nickman! I'm hoping the Sweet Bananas will do well. We have three Earth Boxes, using one for the peppers, and two for indeterminate tomatoes propped against a fence.

And we just harvested the bulk of our lettuce/greens today...it's been Triple-H (Hazy, Hot, Humid) here for a while, and they're bolting. Some of the mustard-related greens tasted so hot even I could barely manage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 11:47 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
i had to give up the tomatoe and cukes in the 5 gallon buckets . The tomatoes got killed by the heat causing leaf roll and cukes were a different type and they were tasteless and small . Now I will plant lettuce this winter and some winter squash in the bucket . The heat was just too intense with 100 + temps here in south Carolina . too many days of it as well.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:29 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
Those pictures are amazing! The flowers are beautiful, and I have never seen a container veggie garden with such a variety of veggies all growing and thriving.

Pots in the garden are handy, I mostly have raised beds, but use clay pots for additional plants that there is no room for in the raised beds.

Here is a Pink Lemonade blueberry in a pot. I have ten large blueberry plants in the ground, but wanted to try pink blueberries.
Attached Thumbnails
My Container Garden 2019-99dc95d5-28d1-421f-b777-4e3636fd4273.jpeg  

Last edited by Taz22; 07-04-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 01:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times
In the middle is a Black eyed Susan vine that got a hard frost nip and struggled in the ground. Now that it’s in a pot, it’s finally taking off. There are two fruit trees next to it waiting to be planted next year, a Baby Cakes blackberry in the background next to a veg trug filled with herbs, and in front is a gooseberry that is producing berries.

Yes, container gardening is good to have. The beds are stuffed, but pots can fit anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
My Container Garden 2019-6db65faf-641c-47eb-8311-9d7f59659a56.jpeg  

Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Lovely gardens, it all looks great.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:18 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Ok, getting jealous over here! lol

Green onions, homemade chili rellenos,etc.
fresno, you simply must re-grow green onions from the grocery store if you like them! Just reserve the bottom inch or so, including the roots, and plant them in moist soil. They grow beautifully in almost anything. I usually wait until they bulb up to about an inch in diameter, then grill them. SO delicious.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Thanks, Nickman! I'm hoping the Sweet Bananas will do well. We have three Earth Boxes, using one for the peppers, and two for indeterminate tomatoes propped against a fence.

And we just harvested the bulk of our lettuce/greens today...it's been Triple-H (Hazy, Hot, Humid) here for a while, and they're bolting. Some of the mustard-related greens tasted so hot even I could barely manage.
Yes, we're finally getting set to enter our first long stretch of consistently hot weather shortly. My lettuce and greens should be done by then, but my cabbage still has a little way to go before it's ready.

I love me some sweet bananas. I pickle them for adding to cold cut sandwiches - YUM. Sometimes I'll add a little red pepper flake to the brine to spice 'em up a bit.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i had to give up the tomatoe and cukes in the 5 gallon buckets . The tomatoes got killed by the heat causing leaf roll and cukes were a different type and they were tasteless and small . Now I will plant lettuce this winter and some winter squash in the bucket . The heat was just too intense with 100 + temps here in south Carolina . too many days of it as well.
Hi phone - yes, you guys have been positively broiling this season so far. I don't envy you at all! You probably remember my first few seasons of growing in buckets - I had to give up, too. While they worked great, they were a lot of maintenance and large plants just use so much water they required constant attention. I needed to move to something that just worked better and the whiskey barrels are great. Plus, they don't blow over from being top-heavy.

Hang in there - summer doesn't last forever and you guys can probably grow cool season veggies like lettuce and spinach all winter long, no? Jealous!

Old 07-09-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Those pictures are amazing! The flowers are beautiful, and I have never seen a container veggie garden with such a variety of veggies all growing and thriving.

Pots in the garden are handy, I mostly have raised beds, but use clay pots for additional plants that there is no room for in the raised beds.

Here is a Pink Lemonade blueberry in a pot. I have ten large blueberry plants in the ground, but wanted to try pink blueberries.
Thank you so much, Taz! The flowers looked better in those photos than they do now thanks to several days of hail and torrential downpours. They'll return with vigor with the upcoming heat and break from storms.

The veggies are definitely very healthy, but believe it or not, they are well behind last season. I'm hopeful for a long and mild fall to allow everything a chance to catch up and produce well. If not, this may just be one of those years.

I love growing in containers, but there is a chance I may begin constructing some raised beds in the years to come. I am getting antsy to remove some grass out back and replace it with something useful like gardens. We'll see.

The blueberry plant looks great! I tried one in a whiskey barrel last season - total fail and died within a week. I am not very good with perennials in containers. I'm sure with more practice I could perfect it, but I've lost every perennial I've ever tried in a container.. except for chives which would most likely survive the end of time.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Yes, container gardening is good to have. The beds are stuffed, but pots can fit anywhere.
Exactly! And they can bring a beautiful punch of color to the garden. I just love containers. As the sun moves during the season, they can be moved to take advantage of more sun, less sun, dappled light, etc. My backyard faces due south, so pretty much everything gets full sun all day long, which is what most of it requires anyway. I have noticed, though, that now that my neighbors' trees are getting larger, I have more shade in the morning on the east side and more shade in the afternoon on the west side. Where I used to get a solid 9-10 hours of bright sun across the entire garden, I now only get about 7 on either side. The area toward the center still gets 9 or so hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden