Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 03:55 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,301,219 times

Advertisements

Here is the link where they sell several different palm trees for Massachusetts!
Latin names and all that!
Wholesale Palm Trees Massachusetts | Palmco | Florida

MA is in hardiness zone 6 a, 6b, parts in 7a
More hardy palms
https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flower...trees-pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 04:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 3,239,805 times
Yes, there's a palm planted in a pot (that stays outside all the time) in a suburb of Edinburgh, Scotland. Lots of others, too, probably, but this one was in our neighborhood so I saw it every day.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There a few in Vancouver BC close to the water. I don't know what steps are taken to protect them.
No steps are taken.

Winter snow isn't common, and may last only a couple of days. Plus these types of palms are mostly Windmill Palms, which are quite resultant. I believe they are the same type you may see in southern England.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:15 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,535,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No steps are taken.

Winter snow isn't common, and may last only a couple of days. Plus these types of palms are mostly Windmill Palms, which are quite resultant. I believe they are the same type you may see in southern England.
Canary Island date palms do not grow in Vancouver.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:40 AM

83,275 posts, read 74,492,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
What's the northernmost you've seen, compared to the northernmost place you've been and every palm you've seen?
I haven't but apparently some have in this state.... http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...nnecticut.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Didn't know there was a thread on this. Here's a palm I saw outside the Healthtrax club in Avon, Connectocut. Wonder if they'll plan one again this year?

And No, they don't survive our Polar Vortex winters so either they cover them up super good or bring them inside.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM

18,492 posts, read 15,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Canary Island date palms do not grow in Vancouver.
Not yet LOL, but Windmill Palms are grown in England.

My point was that the type of palm grown here, is also a type grown in England. In fact introduced to England in 1849

Old 08-04-2019, 09:58 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,917,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I've seen them in both Oregon and Washington on the we(s)t side of the Cascades.
Yes. They are commonly grown in people’s yards here. I do not know what sort of palm they are.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:39 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,535,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not yet LOL, but Windmill Palms are grown in England.

My point was that the type of palm grown here, is also a type grown in England. In fact introduced to England in 1849

Windmill palms are grown all over the UK, not just in the south. The 'southern specific' palms you'll see are CIDPs or butias. There are windmill palms in Scotland.

Old 08-06-2019, 01:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 708,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I assume you mean unprotected palms that are permanently planted, and not moved inside for the winter? There are palms in Scotland.

If you're talking about feathered palms like date palms, then there are some in coastal Norfolk, UK. Plenty of Canary Island date palms in London and the south coast of England.
I do mean unprotected and permanently planted. They don't have to be pinnate-leaved; fan palms are over 10F hardier and look even prettier IMO, plus they're still evergreen and (most importantly) in the same genus.

As for palms in Vancouver, those are Chinese Windmill Palms that can survive without protection. They'll do very well in almost any marine climates and even some subpolar oceanic too (both of which are very common in Europe, hence why you'd see so many in Britain and Ireland). People have actually tried to grow Chinese Windmills here in Tennessee, but the subtropical summers here are actually too hot for them, and they're not quite as hardy as the Needle Palm and Dwarf Palmetto (which DO grow here) anyways, so I usually see the Chinese Windmills dead.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,725,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There a few in Vancouver BC close to the water. I don't know what steps are taken to protect them.

I don't think any steps are taken to protect them. Most of them are windmill palms that have their origin in countries that can get cold weather and snow pack. There are a couple of pictures of them here, the first one shows them in winter: https://www.zmescience.com/other/did...er-palm-trees/

Sun Belt Lover - this city-data thread from 2011 in the weather forum may be of some interest to you:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...temperate.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden