U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,315 posts, read 46,009,489 times
Reputation: 62128

Advertisements

Here in the south, fall is very far away. I have changed out some tired spent plants with fresh ones in my planters, and Iím expecting a fig tree to fill an empty spot. The gardens are hanging in, waiting for some cool days.
This week, some much needed rain is expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 AM
 
2,353 posts, read 1,177,902 times
Reputation: 9665
Every fall, all plants in my garden are judged. I'm in the process of moving poor performers to the back bed. If they don't bloom back there next year, they'll be moved to the compost pile eventually. I'm replacing the poor performers with asters for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 12:06 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 646,955 times
Reputation: 3419
I'm in the midst of a garden renovation so most of the beds have been stripped down to bare dirt since late spring. The former owners planted a lot of stuff that was either invasive or that I just plain dislike. Replanting will be a longterm project spanning multiple years, LOL

Two individual removals this fall (next week actually) are a large crape myrtle that was originally planted in the wrong spot (east facing and very poor air circulation) and so has been plagued with mildew. It also has to be cut back every year to keep it from hitting a roof overhang. I'm sick of dealing with it so out it goes at last. Also three spiraeas because I hate the way spiraeas seed themselves around; I've got enough work without dealing with that too. Oh, and one final berberis. I loathe those things.

One thing is getting moved: a spring-flowering camellia that was originally in an east facing exposure but had to be relocated last year due to exterior renovations. I stupidly put it in a spot that gets sun most of the day and it's not happy. Truth be told, I don't like the plant much because it has red flowers which is not really my thing, but it's 6 ft tall and I'm reluctant to just chuck it out. So it's getting moved to a spot that only gets direct sun in the late afternoon. Probably better for the flower buds anyway during late winter/early spring, and the red won't be as conspicuous as it was/is when it does bloom.

New shrubs this fall: Cephalotaxus harringtoniana Fastigiata, Cotinus 'Golden Spirit', Chionanthus 'Tokyo Tower', and two dwarf pines (Mini Twists and Soft Touch.) I am seriously contemplating adding an osmanthus; had one in my previous garden and the fragrance was divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,315 posts, read 46,009,489 times
Reputation: 62128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I'm in the midst of a garden renovation so most of the beds have been stripped down to bare dirt since late spring. The former owners planted a lot of stuff that was either invasive or that I just plain dislike. Replanting will be a longterm project spanning multiple years, LOL

Two individual removals this fall (next week actually) are a large crape myrtle that was originally planted in the wrong spot (east facing and very poor air circulation) and so has been plagued with mildew. It also has to be cut back every year to keep it from hitting a roof overhang. I'm sick of dealing with it so out it goes at last. Also three spiraeas because I hate the way spiraeas seed themselves around; I've got enough work without dealing with that too. Oh, and one final berberis. I loathe those things.

One thing is getting moved: a spring-flowering camellia that was originally in an east facing exposure but had to be relocated last year due to exterior renovations. I stupidly put it in a spot that gets sun most of the day and it's not happy. Truth be told, I don't like the plant much because it has red flowers which is not really my thing, but it's 6 ft tall and I'm reluctant to just chuck it out. So it's getting moved to a spot that only gets direct sun in the late afternoon. Probably better for the flower buds anyway during late winter/early spring, and the red won't be as conspicuous as it was/is when it does bloom.

New shrubs this fall: Cephalotaxus harringtoniana Fastigiata, Cotinus 'Golden Spirit', Chionanthus 'Tokyo Tower', and two dwarf pines (Mini Twists and Soft Touch.) I am seriously contemplating adding an osmanthus; had one in my previous garden and the fragrance was divine.
Thereís an orange osmanthus that Iím thinking of getting.

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/Fr...-1-Gallon.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,159 posts, read 9,175,911 times
Reputation: 11688
Way too many Iris. Trying to move them to another spot but some will have to be discarded. Lady in this house before me loved Iris. Me, not so much. And they are mostly the generic purple kind.

And, am waiting to plant a peach tree into the ground in October. In a pot now. Thought it was a dwarf. Definitely not.

Am slowly pulling out the annuals that have faded. All back breaking work in the hot sun. Yuk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:32 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 646,955 times
Reputation: 3419
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thereís an orange osmanthus that Iím thinking of getting.

https://www.wilsonbrosgardens.com/Fr...-1-Gallon.html

Ah, the perks of living in Zone 9! I'm envious in that respect (though I'd never survive your summers myself.)


I'm in NY so it's Osmanthus heterophyllus and its offspring for me. I'm looking at the one cultivar whose leaves don't try to stab you to death at every turn, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:36 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 646,955 times
Reputation: 3419
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Way too many Iris. Trying to move them to another spot but some will have to be discarded. Lady in this house before me loved Iris. Me, not so much. And they are mostly the generic purple kind.

Former owners here apparently loved orange and hated maintenance. So they loaded up the place with the common orange daylilies and with tiger lilies (! ). I never want to have an orange (or anything approaching orange) flower here again, LOL


You wouldn't believe what else they deliberately planted here as well. They could have opened up a nursery and called it "Invasives R Us".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM
 
2,353 posts, read 1,177,902 times
Reputation: 9665
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Way too many Iris. Trying to move them to another spot but some will have to be discarded. Lady in this house before me loved Iris. Me, not so much. And they are mostly the generic purple kind.

And, am waiting to plant a peach tree into the ground in October. In a pot now. Thought it was a dwarf. Definitely not.

Am slowly pulling out the annuals that have faded. All back breaking work in the hot sun. Yuk.

Give them away instead, lots of people love those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,315 posts, read 46,009,489 times
Reputation: 62128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Former owners here apparently loved orange and hated maintenance. So they loaded up the place with the common orange daylilies and with tiger lilies (! ). I never want to have an orange (or anything approaching orange) flower here again, LOL


You wouldn't believe what else they deliberately planted here as well. They could have opened up a nursery and called it "Invasives R Us".
I actually love orange flowers, but here in the hot south, everything seems to revert to yellow. I chose a nice variety of color for a bed of daylilies on the south side of my house. They do very well, but the yellow ones have taken over. They are beautiful, but an assortment was what I was going for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,876 posts, read 18,951,325 times
Reputation: 24698
when my zinnias finish out I wont plant anything for fall . I usually dont since nothing really grows here in the fall .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top