U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 07:19 PM

39 posts, read 195,003 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there have a mature Muskogee Crape Myrtle in their yard, or seen one.....
I purchased one at a local Grower's Outlet and the tag says mature height 15-20 feet, with a 15 foot width at the top.
But after researching different websites, some say this variety can reach 25 feet and up...... If so, I need to rethink it's location before planting. Do not want to commit crepe murder later if it outgrows it's area.
Just wondering if anyone had one or knew much about this specific crepe hybrid.
Thanks for any info.
Also, what are the favorite crape's out there that do stay closer to 15 feet with an upright growth?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 08:09 PM

9,537 posts, read 19,402,289 times
I did a quick google search and found some images of Muskogee Crape Myrtles that may give you a better idea what it will look like.

Crepe Myrtle Varieties

I don't have a Muskogee in my yard but have a fair amount of experience with different varieties and keeping them within bounds. You can prune them without committing crape murder, but it requires getting up on a ladder.

I always have to sit down and look up the different varieties. There are just so many with similar names! Otherwise I'll default to Natchez since I'm partial to their form and color.

Here's a short list which includes a couple of others you might consider:

Crape Myrtle, Lagerstroemia by Dr. William C. Welch

Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM

13,486 posts, read 29,425,055 times
I have "Yuma" crape myrtles. They have the same color flowers as Muskogee, but are slightly smaller. They are hard to find though.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM

8,062 posts, read 15,865,120 times
I'm not familiar with a Muskogee but I have a Basham's Party Pink crepe myrtle. If I remember correctly from when I bought it, it will not grow that tall. I'm pruning mine to resemble a small tree.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 AM

39 posts, read 195,003 times
Default Thanks for the Crape Myrtle advice, anymore out there

Thank you for the information so far.......
all you crape myrtle enthusiasts, I know you are out there, keep the information coming.
I have decided to move the Muskogee to a location where it will have more room to spread out and showcase its glory.
I am now in a search for a variety to put near our brick patio that will not get so large. So far from my research, Tonto seems to be the best choice.
Anyone out there with a Tonto hybrid crape ???
Or any other medium crapes, not too droopy, nice tree shape once kept pruned and 15 or less feet at maturity?
Thanks for any info.... the websites above were a great help. Keep them coming.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:28 AM

13,486 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Tuscarora is very upright growing and stays around 15ft, but too stiff looking for my taste. I don't think the flower color would compliment Muskogee very well though.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM

208 posts, read 768,844 times
Unhappy ordering crapemyrtle online

I have been planning on buying some of the new minatures-there is a website on crapemyrtles that is just gorgous and inforrmative and everywhere on the web.I always check www.gardenwatchdog.com WOW What bad reviews including the Better Buisness Bureau.Just be careful if ordering online.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 19,533 times
I have several Muskogee crepe myrtles in my yard. They do get quite tall, 25 feet, and spread about 30 feet. Here in Lake Charles, La, we've had problems in the past with grey mold fungus but it seems to be disappearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden